Hays Interested in Extension

Bird Lady

I would like to see him at like 3/21 I think, can’t see any more barring a sudden break out 

but if you are outright dismissing this because of prospects, you need to be reminded that hays was a more highly rated prospect than Kjerstad is and around what cowser is. It’s a decent outcome and there’s no guarantee those guys will reach his level

Edited by brooooksy

He must have seen the Mateo comparisons and thought he'd better strike while the iron is hot!  🙂 Seriously I'm not sure that signing him to an extension makes a bunch of sense.   I guess it depends on how certain Elias is that the OF youth depth can replace him soon. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Let’s say we give a lot of PT to Cowser this year and he kind of flops.  Does a Hays extension make sense then?   Or do we count on Beavers to pick up the slack?

I guess I’d say I don’t reject a Hays extension as a possibility down the road, but I don’t see committing to it now.   Hopefully Hays has a career year and makes the decision more interesting. (But hopefully Cowser performs well and makes it a moot point.)

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s say we give a lot of PT to Cowser this year and he kind of flops.  Does a Hays extension make sense then?   Or do we count on Beavers to pick up the slack?

I guess I’d say I don’t reject a Hays extension as a possibility down the road, but I don’t see committing to it now.   Hopefully Hays has a career year and makes the decision more interesting. (But hopefully Cowser performs well and makes it a moot point.)

Is there really any motivation or urgency to extend an 751 OPS lifetime outfielder?

• Upvote 1

Hays has been a solid player for the Orioles and I won’t say now that he has no future with this team after hitting free agency after 2025. It’s just that at that time it would be only as a 4th OF, unless the Orioles development of OF prospects goes horribly over their next 2 years. 

Hays would be a good 4th OF with this team as a righty who can play OPACY LF and not kill you in CF, but he’s not looking for an extension to get paid as a 4th OF.  Right now he’s better than a 4th OF and 4th OF don’t sign multi year deals anyway.

I don’t think any team in baseball would be looking to extend Austin Hays as a starting OF right now, let alone a team that has as many prospects on the way as the Orioles. 

Stick with Hays’ current contract and if he gets phased into more of a part time role over the course of the next 2 years, then maybe there’s a contract that makes sense for everyone to continue that role when he’s a free agent.