Jackson Holliday spring training watch

Frobby

18 hours ago, forphase1 said:

I also think the upgrade from Urias to Mayo is a bigger upgrade than Westburg to Holliday, at least for this year.   If I had to choose one over the other,  I'd pick Mayo largely due to the bat being more ready now and also due to whose spot he takes. 

Holliday's at-bats, if he makes the team, will come at the expense of Westburg and Urias.

If Holliday is on the roster, Westburg probably starts 3 games a week at third and 1 game every other week or so at second, with Holliday serving as the primary backup shortstop.

42 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Holliday's at-bats, if he makes the team, will come at the expense of Westburg and Urias.

If Holliday is on the roster, Westburg probably starts 3 games a week at third and 1 game every other week or so at second, with Holliday serving as the primary backup shortstop.

If that's actually what happens, then perhaps that would change my viewpoint a bit on choosing between the two.  I know Westburg played 30ish games at 3rd last year, but for some reason I still have him largely penciled in at 2nd with Urias at 3rd.  But if Holliday does make the team, and that pushed Westburg to the be primary 3rd baseman, I'd much rather that happen that Urias usually holding down 3rd.  I'd still rather see Holliday, Henderson, Mayo as the starters with Westburg starting 3-4 times a week to give one of those 3 a break.  Don't really care what happens to Urias or Mateo in that scenario, hopefully one or both of them no longer on the roster.  

14 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Holliday with a HR.

Again, SSS and spring training to boot, but he's showing he deserves to be on the team.  Still don't think it happens, but we can't act like his performance doesn't justify it.  

I'm starting to become a believer that Holliday might actually make the 26 man roster. And I had always doubted it for the obvious benefits of giving him more time in AAA to see LHP and save his service time while we had Henderson, Mateo, Westburg, and Urias.

People were talking about the HR and the hustle single, but his ABs were fantastic.  3-2 on multiple ABs including the hustle single and a BB in second AB.  Folks have pointed to the high strike-out totals.  5 ks came in the first 7ABs of the spring.  Remove those and you are looking at something closer to his historical line.  He's been better than I expected this spring, and I expected him to make the team.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Love Urias but his days in and O’s uniform are numbered. All SS/3B/2B ABs should be going to some combo of Gunnar, Holliday, Westburg, and Mayo. Mateo with the occasional start since he can now play OF. 

Which is wild because Urias has had a fantastic Spring and has been an above average player since we acquired him.  

12 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm starting to become a believer that Holliday might actually make the 26 man roster. And I had always doubted it for the obvious benefits of giving him more time in AAA to see LHP and save his service time while we had Henderson, Mateo, Westburg, and Urias.

Are there any real signs that he won't be making the roster outside of conventional wisdom? It seems like most of the signs (albeit mostly limited and speculation) point to him starting the year on the O's.

5 minutes ago, dzorange said:

Are there any real signs that he won't be making the roster outside of conventional wisdom? It seems like most of the signs (albeit mostly limited and speculation) point to him starting the year on the O's.

There's no way to know. There are valid reasons for it to go either way.

I think he makes is because Elias has said they're in win now mode. Based on what he's said and how Holliday has played, I don't think there's a chance he doesn't make it.

But what do I know?