Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

4 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Bauers RPMs didn't drop suddenly after the ban.  It was Gerritt Coles RPMs that did (Bauer's intended target - along with the rest of the Astros)....

Gerritt Cole ridiculed Bauer at UCLA for the way Bauer trained because they were all 'outside of the box techniques' and different from 'what pitchers should be doing' : using rubbing tubbing, wrist weights, plyo balls, underload & overload balls, intense long toss work and pvc tubing to stretch and warm up his shoulders.....all of these things are now common place in baseball....along with the Edgertronic cameras he used to design pitches and introduced to baseball....

In 2018 out of all pitchers that threw at least 50 five-fastball innings Bauer ranked 169th out of 178 pitchers in spin rate change from first fastball of the inning to the last (ie. determining if a player was applying sticky stuff between innings and that was slowly coming off their hand through-out the inning).  Cole ranked 27th....*Bill Petti HardBall times*

Wonder why Cole has bad things to say about him?😉

Like I said, he is a disruptor.  He is not a natural athlete, not tall, and not incredible strong.  He made himself.  When put around other freak athletes who don't push themselves to the max, he doesn't do so well.  I agree, he might not be a good fit for many organizations and might not be a good fit for the O's.  I'll leave that up to Elias to decide.  But from what I've read about him and his training, he would do very well in a high-achieving/pushing the boundaries group of players.  But there is obvious risk, and you can't ignore the fact that the other 29 teams have passed on him so far.  So there may very well be some facts I'm unaware of and a very good reason he isn't signed.  But to call him lazy or bad teammate is complete and utter BS.  There are dozens of other players, coaches, and trainers that would refute those accusations wholeheartedly.  

As I've struggled to understand Spencer Strider and how someone could escape all 30 Clubs notice and then become so great, some of what I feel is Strider mastered the Bauer stuff (maybe even extended it) without the drawbacks.     Most pitchers who can dominate the league to the Verlander-Cole-Strider extent, their gifts are obvious long before they finish Clemson.

I certainly regard Bauer as a growth mindset success at baseball, and believe player development organizations both outside and inside the game are exploring how to use a trail he walked earlier than many others to grow a large supply of effective pitchers.

Now, whether Spencer Strider conducted a successful N = 1 experiment with his own life, or if he is the first off an assembly line Mike Fast and the Braves are building.....well, we'll see how AJ Smith-Shawver does this year.     So far Bryce is cool with the comfort of cold knowing what pitch attributes are coming in October.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Bauers RPMs didn't drop suddenly after the ban.  It was Gerritt Coles RPMs that did (Bauer's intended target - along with the rest of the Astros)....

Gerritt Cole ridiculed Bauer at UCLA for the way Bauer trained because they were all 'outside of the box techniques' and different from 'what pitchers should be doing' : using rubbing tubbing, wrist weights, plyo balls, underload & overload balls, intense long toss work and pvc tubing to stretch and warm up his shoulders.....all of these things are now common place in baseball....along with the Edgertronic cameras he used to design pitches and introduced to baseball....

In 2018 out of all pitchers that threw at least 50 five-fastball innings Bauer ranked 169th out of 178 pitchers in spin rate change from first fastball of the inning to the last (ie. determining if a player was applying sticky stuff between innings and that was slowly coming off their hand through-out the inning).  Cole ranked 27th....*Bill Petti HardBall times*

Wonder why Cole has bad things to say about him?😉

Like I said, he is a disruptor.  He is not a natural athlete, not tall, and not incredible strong.  He made himself.  When put around other freak athletes who don't push themselves to the max, he doesn't do so well.  I agree, he might not be a good fit for many organizations and might not be a good fit for the O's.  I'll leave that up to Elias to decide.  But from what I've read about him and his training, he would do very well in a high-achieving/pushing the boundaries group of players.  But there is obvious risk, and you can't ignore the fact that the other 29 teams have passed on him so far.  So there may very well be some facts I'm unaware of and a very good reason he isn't signed.  But to call him lazy or bad teammate is complete and utter BS.  There are dozens of other players, coaches, and trainers that would refute those accusations wholeheartedly.  

I'm almost afraid to ask...

What is rubbing tubbing?

Just now, Just Regular said:

I think that was meant to be rubber tubing but the voice-to-text mis-translation or typo does make me wonder if Trevor Bauer ever....

I don't know him, but I'm guessing he's been a part of the old "rub and tug"... just probably not in the same way that the masses would have to get it done.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I'm almost afraid to ask...

What is rubbing tubbing?

Haha.  My bad.  Rubber tubing.  Surgical tubing.  You use it to pull apart in a variety of directions to build strength in the “brake” muscles in your arm & to get blood flowing to arm, shoulder and chest pre-workout and on recovery days. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Warehouse said:

Below is a list of MLB pitchers successfully returning from non-operative UCL treatment.  Excluded are pitchers that returned to the big leagues without surgery but then quickly needed surgery (e.g., Francisco Liriano).  A number of these pitchers had the benefit of a full offseason to recover.  A couple, Wei-Yin Chen and Gregg Olson, sort of muddled through with some ongoing injury issues.

Mason Miller - May 7, 2023 to Sep 6, 2023 

Seth Lugo - Apr 4, 2017 to Jun 11, 2017

Anthony Descaffolini - Feb 27, 2017, returned to MIlB action Jul 23, 2017 but shut down with elbow tendinitis after Aug 3, 2017, returning to MLB action Jun 5, 2018

Victor Arano (AA) - Feb 12, 2017 to May 31, 2017

Aaron Nola - Jul 28, 2016 to opening day roster 2017

Wei-Yin Chen - Jul 20, 2016 to Sep 19, 2016; May 1, 2017 to Sep 4, 2017; Sep 22, 2017 to Apr 28, 2018

Michael Lorenzen - Mar 9, 2016 spring training start scratch (following two weeks of soreness) to Jun 24, 2016

Tyler Thornburg - Jun 6, 2014 - opening day roster 2015

Masahiro Tanaka - Jul 8, 2014 to Sep 21, 2014

Scott Atchison - Jul 13, 2012  to Sep 16, 2012

Ervin Santana - March 8, 2009 to May 14, 2009

Takashi Saito - Jul 12, 2008 to Sep 15, 2008

Adam Wainwright (AAA) - Jun 8, 2004 to Sep 8, 2004

Gregg Olson - Aug 8, 1993, returned Sep 22, 1993 to walk only batter faced; then returned May 30, 1994

Nolan Ryan - Oct 1986 to opening day roster 1987

I made some updates above, deleting Billingsley (who ultimately needed TJ) but adding several others.

Failed rehab with short mlb return stint

Chris Paddack 2022

JC Ramirez - 2017

Garrett Richards - 2016

Ruby De La Rosa - 2016

Chad Billingsey -2012

Failed rehab attempts without MLB start

Andrew Painter - 2023

Nick Burdi - 2020

John Brebbia 2020

Hunter Greene - 2019

Steven Wright  - 2019

Blaine Hardy - 2019

Seranthony Dominguez - 2019

Colin Rea - 2016

Andrew Heaney - 2016

Sean Nolan - 2016

Alex Cobb - 2015

Casey Saddler - 2015

Brandon Workman - 2015

Dylan Bundy - 2013

Jonny Venters -2013

Jason Motte - 2013

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I would like to know if a small tear that recovers well without surgery increases the chance of a larger tear down the road. You would think so, but I don't actually know. 

Aren’t most Tommy John’s full UCL reconstruction, so whether some/most/full tear the reconstruction is the same procedure. There is small population that gets UCL “brace” technique (see Brock Purdy) but less common in baseball pitchers — See Link if want to go down UCL rabbit hole.