Bauer interested in O's

Bigbie03

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Still an option?

In a piece published by The Athletic in late January, Olivia Finestead, the mother of Clevinger's 10-month-old child, accused the 32-year-old pitcher of physical and emotional abuse. Finestead agreed to be named in The Athletic's piece.

Finestead alleged that Clevinger choked and slapped her in separate incidents that occurred in June 2022, and said that the pitcher threw used chewing tobacco at the child. 

Finestead got in contact with MLB's Department of Investigations last summer, and the league looked into the allegations.

On Jan. 24, 2023, Finestead posted lengthy Instagram story posts about Clevinger, going as far as to post images of the injuries she said she suffered at his hands. Clevinger also allegedly threw an iPad at Finestead when she was pregnant, and Finestead said she finally left him when he "strangled" her.

Clevinger's lawyers issued a statement to The Athletic saying their client denied any wrongdoing. 

So, has any of that been proven to be true? I am not sticking up for him, but people make false allegations all the time. For the past 30 years I have listened to people allege that things happened. Often, it is false, or blown out of proportion because someone is upset and wants revenge, or to control someone.

I truly despise that people get buried by rumors, innuendo and unproven allegations. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

It sounds like he was mentored by Bauer.  Pass.

The league didn't even suspend him. I get that every allegation needs to be taken seriously and investigated, but if there isn't enough evidence to convict or even for the league to suspend, you have to draw the line somewhere on how people who are accused of things are treated going forward.

Chapman chased his wife/girlfriend around with a gun and people here were saying he should be an option.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Jammer7 said:

So, has any of that been proven to be true? I am not sticking up for him, but people make false allegations all the time. For the past 30 years I have listened to people allege that things happened. Often, it is false, or blown out of proportion because someone is upset and wants revenge, or to control someone.

I truly despise that people get buried by rumors, innuendo and unproven allegations. 

No, read my reply above for more context.

6 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

People don’t make false allegations all of the time.  It rarely happens, but admittedly is much more likely to happen with an athlete than someone from the general population. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

They need to start actually proving people are guilty of something instead of punishing people on accusations or rumor.  Just prove it or shut up.

Nah, it's much easier to be your own judge and jury. He's a witch? Burn him!

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

It is not rare. It happens a lot. I retired from law enforcement last year after 29 years. This is what I experienced. Even more so to celebrities and others who have things to lose. 

If it happens at the rates that you and @Malike say that it does, we need to have more prosecutions for false claims to deter such behavior. 

13 minutes ago, baltfan said:

If it happens at the rates that you and @Malike say that it does, we need to have more prosecutions for false claims to deter such behavior. 

If we prosecute everyone who lies to the police, we would not have people available to answer 911 calls. We would do nothing but take liars to jail. Verbal allegations are one thing, but when they submit a sworn written statement it becomes a legal document. Easier to prosecute. I have prosecuted many such cases, mostly fraudulent cases with auto theft.

Watch mainstream media? If you do, you are being lied to everyday. 🤣

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TopGunnar said:

Yea I hear ya and I agree. I’m not expecting the Orioles to sign Bauer, and maybe that’s a good decision. But at the end of the day I’d prefer not to see Cole Irvin start a playoff game.  No disrespect to Cole or any of the huge Cole Irvin fans bound to come at me for this.

He’d have to have one hell of a career year!

Just now, Frobby said:

They don’t have to be pro-Bauer to not assume he’s guilty of criminal behavior just because he was accused by someone.  I’m glad to know that’s how the police think. We live in a society where people are supposed to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.   

There are plenty of women who do suffer abuse, but that does not mean that every time an accusation is made, it’s true.  

No, but it certainly is weird how often men - and apparently also the police in general - assume that every accusation that is made is false.

• Haha 2