Jorge Mateo 2024

Just Regular

48 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Those videos links showed his capabilities . But I’m not expert on defensive ratings  . Oh well….

24 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Those videos links showed his capabilities . But I’m not expert on defensive ratings  . Oh well….

Its weird how you can be a plus defender at SS but a below average CF.

I guess reading fly balls and getting that initial jump its own skill.

2 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

He’s only played a small number of games there. This year he seemed to be pressing a bit which is normal for a new position change. We saw Cowser go from bad to above average very quickly. 

2 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Yeah , I agree. It’s weird.  If Mullins was able to bat near his career average, we probably wouldn’t have this discussion .  

2 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

He’s only played a small number of games there. This year he seemed to be pressing a bit which is normal for a new position change. We saw Cowser go from bad to above average very quickly. 

This. Nobody knows at all what kind of defensive CF'er he might be. I personally believe he would be well above average once he had enough time to adjust to the position. You can't teach his speed and athleticism. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Big game by Mateo last night. His defense gets taken for granted by fans sometimes. He’s our best 2nd baseman. Gunnar wouldn’t even be as good as him at 2nd. Mateo’s lateral quickness and arm strength are elite at 2nd base. GG level defender. 

He’s the ideal 9th hitter for a contending team. Speed at the bottom of the lineup. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Big game by Mateo last night. His defense gets taken for granted by fans sometimes. He’s our best 2nd baseman. Gunnar wouldn’t even be as good as him at 2nd. Mateo’s lateral quickness and arm strength are elite at 2nd base. GG level defender. 

He’s the ideal bench player for a contending team. Speed on the bench

Fixed that for you. I don’t mind Mateo and have come to appreciate him, but I think “ideal” is a little too aggressive.

• Upvote 1

On 6/12/2024 at 2:15 PM, Allan Bryant said:

Yeah , I agree. It’s weird.  If Mullins was able to bat near his career average, we probably wouldn’t have this discussion .  

Mullins has an .816 OPS in June.  He was at .700 in March/April.   May was awful but hopefully he’s over it.  He’s looked way better at the plate lately.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mullins has an .816 OPS in June.  He was at .700 in March/April.   May was awful but hopefully he’s over it.  He’s looked way better at the plate lately.   

Yes he has looked better the past week.  His home runs  night and at Yankee Stadium were cool . I hope he can make strides the rest of this season 

13 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

My Man Mullins got that smile again. And, gosh it's nearly July and Mateo is still got some offense going. Love it!

Mateo's got a .688 OPS in June, though 14 games. He's falling off a little, but playing better than expected. Obviously would have been a lot nicer if Holliday even showed signs of life when he was up and they were at worst splitting time. 

Edited by Orioles0615

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s the ideal 9th hitter for a contending team. Speed at the bottom of the lineup. 

The ideal 9th hitter with speed would be Jackson Holliday playing up to his abilities. Alas.