My firsthand spring training observations, 2024

Frobby

Jackson Holliday looked good.  I think we have a keeper.  

Maybe Norby can make the team as a backup infielder and get some at bats from Jackson when there is a tough lefty on the mound?

Edited by Gurgi

On the pitching side, obviously the story was Albert Suarez.  Honestly, I wasn’t that impressed for the first 5 batters.  Trea Turner came within three feet of hitting a homer the second batter of the game, then Realmuto hit a sharp grounder up the middle but Norby made the play.  The leadoff hitter in the second inning hit a single up the middle.  To that point, Suarez had faced five batters, striking out two, allowing two hits and a ground out.  He’d been behind in the count a few times.  It was a meh outing to that point.  But from there, Suarez struck out 5 of the last 6 batters he faced, with the other batter nearly grounding into a 5-4-3 DP.   He was sitting 95/96 in the 2nd inning, but in the 3rd inning was regularly hitting 97 and showing a biting slider to boot.  My seats weren’t the best for seeing location or break, but one thing was clear: the batters weren’t making contact.  All seven strikeouts came on swings: six whiffs and one foul tip.  Quite a dominating performance from Suarez, and he got stronger as the outing progressed.   

I’m not gonna lie, none of the other pitchers made a huge impression on me.  I missed some of Chayce McDermott’s first inning of work.  The second inning was pretty good, FB sitting 95-96 and he threw a couple of big breaking 77-79 mph curves, including one that landed for swinging strike three to end his outing.  It’s a nice pitch when he locates it.   

I don’t think anyone else who pitched today has much chance to help us in 2024.   

• Thanks 1

Great report on the ballpark, @justD!  I’ll add that you need to get to the park well before game time.   Traffic getting into to parking lot gets very bad the closer it gets to game time.  This year it took me about 20 minutes to cover the short distance from the freeway exit to the parking lot, and that was arriving at the exit ramp an hour before game time.  Last year I arrived at the ramp 40 minutes before the game and it took 35 minutes to get to the lot.  

I don’t know that the scoreboard is quite major league size, but it’s way bigger and clearer than the one in Sarasota.  

The concourses are more crowded for walking around than in Sarasota, but good lines aren’t bad at all. 

There were quite a few O’s fans there and the Phillies fans were not at all rude.  

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

@justDTraffic getting into to parking lot gets very bad the closer it gets to game time.  

I used the directions coming north provided on the stadium website rather than GPS, (taking 19 to Hwy 60 to Old Coachman Rd to the prepaid lot at the corner of Drew) and got in really quickly, at about 12:30. Not sure if my better luck was being prepaid or coming north, but I did see the GPS wanted to take me on a much more circuitous route.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I went to yesterday’s 4-3 win over the Pirates.  A few thoughts:

1.  Grayson Rodriguez is not yet in top form, though he’s ahead of where he was at this time last year.  He didn’t have his best velocity, topping out at 97 and frequently hitting only 94 in his 3rd/4th inning of work.  I do not believe he generated a single swing and miss with his fastball (and only a couple overall). He had a tough time commanding his breaking stuff at first, but threw a number of really good curves, sliders and changeups in the 2nd and 3rd innings.   He was visibly tired in the 4th inning, allowing a long homer on a hanging slider and two hard-hit singles before Hyde pulled him.  C+ outing but he still has work to do.  

I don’t recall where (maybe mlb.com?) but I read a report on GRod that he’s holding back a bit on his FB in ST games and also working on a new breaking ball, or at least a new version of one he throws now.  So that could explain the slight velo dip and lack of command on breaking stuff. 

I was at the Sarasota split-squad game against Toronto yesterday, which ended in a 6-6 tie.  I’ll post a few thoughts before I head out for a non-baseball excursion today, then circle back later.  

1.  Corbin Burnes didn’t look very good.  His fastball was 94-95, very effective when he kept it down in the zone but very hittable up.   He wasn’t commanding his breaking stuff well, including his vaunted cutter.   

2.  Dillon Tate was only throwing 91-92 mph.   He got decent results but the stuff was pretty underwhelming.   I think he was throwing harder earlier in the spring, so this gave me a little concern.  

3.  Adley crushed a homer that was far over the fence in RF, then roped a single to RF that the outfield dove for laterally and trapped.  He looked really good in both at bats.  

4.  Cowser’s HR was to RCF and traveled maybe 400 feet.  He looked smooth in CF including on a catch near the wall.   

5.  Late in the game, Cowser walked and Bradfield Jr. came into pinch run.  He stole 2B and took 3B when the throw sailed into the OF.  Then Bradfield took off for home on a hard smash directly at the 3B.   It was fielded cleanly and the throw home was on the money but Bradfield beat it anyway with a headfirst slide.   He’s one of a handful of players who could have scored on that play; it reminded me of a similar play late last year where Mateo scored.   Later, in CF, some hitter blooped a ball into short RCF and Bradfield cut off Stowers to catch it.  He got a great jump and showed great speed on that play, though I think Stowers could have caught it if Bradfield hadn’t been there.  For most teams, that’s probably the RF’s ball, but Bradfield got to it rather easily even though it didn’t hang up long.  

More later.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was at the Sarasota split-squad game against Toronto yesterday, which ended in a 6-6 tie.  I’ll post a few thoughts before I head out for a non-baseball excursion today, then circle back later.  

1.  Corbin Burnes didn’t look very good.  His fastball was 94-95, very effective when he kept it down in the zone but very hittable up.   He wasn’t commanding his breaking stuff well, including his vaunted cutter.   

2.  Dillon Tate was only throwing 91-92 mph.   He got decent results but the stuff was pretty underwhelming.   I think he was throwing harder earlier in the spring, so this gave me a little concern.  

3.  Adley crushed a homer that was far over the fence in RF, then roped a single to RF that the outfield dove for laterally and trapped.  He looked really good in both at bats.  

4.  Cowser’s HR was to RCF and traveled maybe 400 feet.  He looked smooth in CF including on a catch near the wall.   

5.  Late in the game, Cowser walked and Bradfield Jr. came into pinch run.  He stole 2B and took 3B when the throw sailed into the OF.  Then Bradfield took off for home on a hard smash directly at the 3B.   It was fielded cleanly and the throw home was on the money but Bradfield beat it anyway with a headfirst slide.   He’s one of a handful of players who could have scored on that play; it reminded me of a similar play late last year where Mateo scored.   Later, in CF, some hitter blooped a ball into short RCF and Bradfield cut off Stowers to catch it.  He got a great jump and showed great speed on that play, though I think Stowers could have caught it if Bradfield hadn’t been there.  For most teams, that’s probably the RF’s ball, but Bradfield got to it rather easily even though it didn’t hang up long.  

More later.  

In Roch's blog after the game, Burnes basically said he was like only throwing his cutter exclusively at one point to work on it. Hopefully he's just one of those weird spring training guys that doesn't try to get results, he just tinkers. I certainly hope that's the case or we are boned. Overall, I'm not too worried about it.