Roch: Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad, Stowers, Norby, and Al Suarez optioned

interloper

20 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Exactly what I expected to happen.  Not what I wanted and certainly not what I'd have done, but it's what I expected to happen.  We are not putting the best team on the MLB roster, and that's sad.  

That's a fact. I understand why it was done but I thought this was "win now" time? Sure doesn't feel that way.

• Upvote 1

I was hoping with the sale of the Orioles the days of them being cheap ........ would be over.  I dont want to see Mateo, Urias, Wong or McKenna.  All these guys are just AAAA types.  Bring up the kids and lets start rocking.   

But no be have to be losers again.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's got a 954 OPS...

Yes I know.  But that obviously wasn't enough.  By ungodly he likely need to be striking out less than 10%, and maybe have a 1200 OPS or something stupid.  Again, he SHOULD be up and he earned it.  But it clearly wasn't enough for Elias to go against what he'd already decided before camp, that Holliday was starting in AAA.  

3 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

The cutoff is that if he's down long enough that the team would get the extra year, then he doesn't qualify for the pick.

I'd rather have a shot at an additional year of Holliday vs. a shot the pick anyway, but it's definitely disappointing that they aren't bringing up any of the new young guys except for Cowser. He can play CF, so I don't really understand what value McKenna provides unless they honestly plan on starting him against LHP. I would much rather just give Stowers an early season audition, but we know our front office doesn't believe in reverse splits.  

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

I was hoping with the sale of the Orioles the days of them being cheap ........ would be over.  I dont want to see Mateo, Urias, Wong or McKenna.  All these guys are just AAAA types.  Bring up the kids and lets start rocking.   

I totally agree.

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Just to clarify - are they losers even if they win games? 

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

This has nothing to do with ownership, obviously. It's an Elias/baseball operations decision. 

• Upvote 1

I wonder if the service time shell game will be tackled during the next MLB/MLBPA contract negotiation. Is Holliday going to get better faster against big league pitchers or minor league arms? 

To me, the current service time systems hurts the teams in the short term, because they can’t go with the best roster and hurts the players who have to wait it out for longer team control.

9 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

It is correct.  It’s based on the amount of time you are on the 26 man, not based on starting opening day.

It has to be within 2 weeks of opening day (172 days on active roster). Now there's still a chance, but the likelihood is they're sending him down to get that extra year, in which case we wouldn't be eligible for the pick, but Holliday could still potentially win ROY, in which case he would accrue a full year of service still, wasting sending him down. AKA, exactly what happened with Adley (though his delay was mostly injury related).

I am surprised and slightly disappointed. But not understanding the decision does not mean that it is wrong. That is an awful lot of talent to send back. 

Maybe the new owner wants to be there on their first day to sign all the big contracts. 

7 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

If I'm Holliday, I'll never sign an extensions with the O's.

100%. He was born rich, has already made millions of his own from his draft bonus, and won't have any shortage of teams offering him mountains of cash if he comes anywhere close to living up to the hype, so he can absolutely afford to hold a grudge over this ridiculous slap in the face if he so chooses.

I hope Kolten Wong is worth it!

So essentially we are going with Westburg at second, Urias at third with Wong as an occasional starter and Mateo backing up Gunnar at short.  This is really ridiculous. Yes it is similar to our lineup last year when we won 101 games but this is a new season. Do you think other teams are worried about that lineup? 

• Confused 1