Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It certainly seems as if Fangraphs didn't think it was unanimous.

Not sure why you just can't say most.

You have nothing to gain by being hyperbolic.

You don’t have to really do a ton of research as this wasn’t long ago. Jones was the consensus #1 and it was virtually unanimous. In the thread in our own 2022 draft, the immediate take by many…including you, was that the Orioles were not taking Jackson because they thought he was the better player.  The thought was that Jackson was an under slot pick foregoing the better player, Jones, in order to save money. 

Here is your first post to the news that Holiday was the Orioles pick:

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Don't have to.

1- The Fangraphs quote is sufficient.  The 45 seconds that took me was enough.

2- You've already decided to change the narrative to "major writer" from "every writer and publication".  Once you start moving goalposts it's time to move on.

NO ONE was shocked when Jones didn't go first.  This wasn't Harper, it wasn't Strasburg it wasn't even Rutschman. 

You don't deserve more of my time.

How about the most important source there is?

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/topic/45136-poll-who-do-you-think-the-orioles-will-take-with-pick-11/

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/topic/45137-poll-who-do-you-want-the-orioles-to-take-with-pick-11/

40% thought we’d take Holliday, 36% thought we’d take Jones.  60% wanted Jones, 17% wanted Holliday.

My memory is that the early consensus in March/April was that Jones was the clear no. 1 and that was pretty unanimous.  But it became less clear as the high school/college season progressed, not because Jones did badly, but others emerged, including Holliday, who wasn’t on the radar early.

Still, it was a helluva pick.  Now the kid needs to prove it.

1 minute ago, NedFromYork said:

If they do have to send Holliday down at some point, who take his place?  Do they bring Kemp back?  Norby get a shot?  Is Maton in the system?  Soto? ?

Maybe Westburg to 2B and Mayo up for 3B.   My money is still on the kid.

9 minutes ago, NedFromYork said:

If they do have to send Holliday down at some point, who take his place?  Do they bring Kemp back?  Norby get a shot?  Is Maton in the system?  Soto? ?

I would expect it to be Maton.

He's just late on anything with velocity, especially if it's moving away from him. I felt bad in his last AB because he got nothing to hit, everything 98 and moving away, and then of course Gunnar gets 98 right down the middle for the easy hit. I'm sure Holliday was wondering where that pitch was for him. 

2 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

No doubt Holliday will figure it out, but right now he is an automatic out. maybe needs to sit a couple of days to get his head straight. 

How does sitting and not facing MLB pitching going to help him 'get his head straight'?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

I refuse to give Holliday any grief as long as our ALL STAR from last year, Hays, is 2-40, and on pace to go 5-100. 

They both look about as bad as a major leaguer can look right now. 

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's just late on anything with velocity, especially if it's moving away from him. I felt bad in his last AB because he got nothing to hit, everything 98 and moving away, and then of course Gunnar gets 98 right down the middle for the easy hit. I'm sure Holliday was wondering where that pitch was for him. 

He needs to play. But it will sit Saturday against Ragens, they will need all the offensive help they can get from him

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

You don’t have to really do a ton of research as this wasn’t long ago. Jones was the consensus #1 and it was virtually unanimous. In the thread in our own 2022 draft, the immediate take by many…including you, was that the Orioles were not taking Jackson because they thought he was the better player.  The thought was that Jackson was an under slot pick foregoing the better player, Jones, in order to save money. 

Here is your first post to the news that Holiday was the Orioles pick:

Virtually proves my point.  I agree that he was the majority choice.

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How about the most important source there is?

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/topic/45136-poll-who-do-you-think-the-orioles-will-take-with-pick-11/

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/topic/45137-poll-who-do-you-want-the-orioles-to-take-with-pick-11/

40% thought we’d take Holliday, 36% thought we’d take Jones.  60% wanted Jones, 17% wanted Holliday.

My memory is that the early consensus in March/April was that Jones was the clear no. 1 and that was pretty unanimous.  But it became less clear as the high school/college season progressed, not because Jones did badly, but others emerged, including Holliday, who wasn’t on the radar early.

Still, it was a helluva pick.  Now the kid needs to prove it.

Ok.  I’m ready to tangle with you.

1. Who the Orioles eventually took or who the mock drafts had going to the Orioles doesn’t change the fact that every major draft expert that we reference on here had Druw Jones as the best player in the draft on the day of the draft.

2. Holliday had helium but no one had him ranked one.  Many said if the O’s picked Holliday or Johnson that it was defendable especially if there was extra savings.

3. Because of the Orioles history there were rumors of Jacob Berry and Termarr Johnson as underslot.

4.  I challenge you to find one of the major guys I listed or one of your choice who wouldn’t have taken Druw Jones if it was their choice.

5. Knowing your ability to research I eagerly await the results.

Holliday may have to modify that leg kick and make it into a little more of a toe tap.  His timing is off.  He isn’t as extreme, but Ohtani had to drop his leg kick when he couldn’t hit in spring training. Trout convinced him to do it. 

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  I’m ready to tangle with you.

1. Who the Orioles eventually took or who the mock drafts had going to the Orioles doesn’t change the fact that every major draft expert that we reference on here had Druw Jones as the best player in the draft on the day of the draft.

2. Holliday had helium but no one had him ranked one.  Many said if the O’s picked Holliday or Johnson that it was defendable especially if there was extra savings.

3. Because of the Orioles history there were rumors of Jacob Berry and Termarr Johnson as underslot.

4.  I challenge you to find one of the major guys I listed or one of your choice who wouldn’t have taken Druw Jones if it was their choice.

5. Knowing your ability to research I eagerly await the results.

I’m not in the mood to tangle with you or do research.  😎  I clearly recall though some posters declaring in March and April that we had to take Jones and that failing to do it would be GM malpractice.  And I recall saying (1) they don’t make these decisions in March/April, and (2) I don’t care what the pundits think, I care what Elias thinks.  Now I just want Holliday to start hitting and prove Elias correct.  

• Upvote 1