Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Actually, no, he did not have better at bats today. He hit one ball hard which would have been a 4-3 if Frazier was playing at regular depth instead of a lineout with the infield drawn in. He rolled over on a fastball he should have drove for a 4-3, struck out on 3-2 middle-middle fastball, and then walked against a AAAA left-handed reliever late in the game. 

He did make a very nice play in the field on a liner, but also did not sprint to first base on the bunt and ended up late for a bunt hit. 

I suggested waiting for May 1st before making a decision, but he may set a futility record for worse average to start a major league career from a non-pitcher by then. 

He needs to go back to AAA and reset. Bring up either Norby or Mayo.

Insane hindsight bias to say he was called up too early. You didn’t think he should make the team out of spring? What did you want to see him do in the minors to prove he was ready?

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Better ABs today.  Hit a rocket right to 2nd in his 2nd AB. I expect him to struggle against lefty relievers. Keep sending him up. 

Pretty impressive that as much as he has struggled he isn’t really chasing pitches. The balls he put in play were in hittable locations. Watched 3rd strike was a disappointing end to an otherwise good at bat. I figure he’s got another week of this failure to get it right.

If I hear one more "his timing is off", I am going to vomit. He looks like a kid playing against the big boys and worse yet, he's playing like a kid against the big boys. Just two years out of HS, the bigs is a tough place to learn, but if AAA pitching is as poor as some claim, he might not learn much there, but maybe become more physically mature. Tough call.

It hurt to watch him take that 3-2 fastball right down the middle.  As much as you can sit on a 3-2 pitch, how can you not be ready for that.

He looks calm but keeps swinging under any fastball up in the zone.  I’m okay either way.  Give him another week or send him down but I don’t see any signs of him breaking out if he can’t touch fastballs up in the zone.   Since we’re giving tryouts, I’d love to see Mayo at 3B or Norby at 2B batting 9th.

15 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Insane hindsight bias to say he was called up too early. You didn’t think he should make the team out of spring? What did you want to see him do in the minors to prove he was ready?

Nah bro. He was called up too early. He just turned 20. Somebody pressured Elias. Hope this doesn’t mess him up 

• Like 1

Just now, TopGunnar said:

Nah bro. He was called up too early. He just turned 20. Somebody pressured Elias. Hope this doesn’t mess him up 

What does his age matter?  Have no players 20 or younger been successful in the majors?  

Just now, TopGunnar said:

There are plenty of guys called up at 20 or as a teen.

He's not even the youngest player in MLB with the first name Jackson.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why do that when you just jump to conclusions and assume they are ruining his career?

Cause that’s easier. 

I’d rather have him in Baltimore with guys like Adley, Gunnar, Cowser and G-Rod who struggled initially and have him be around those guys so they can impart wisdom on him rather than doing whatever back at Norfolk.  I’d rather have him with the ML hitting coaches trying to solve the ML problems instead of raking at AAA. 

If he gets sent down it’s whatever. Fine. But I’m confident they can work on whatever issues he’s experiencing in Baltimore just as well. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Actually, no, he did not have better at bats today. He hit one ball hard which would have been a 4-3 if Frazier was playing at regular depth instead of a lineout with the infield drawn in. He rolled over on a fastball he should have drove for a 4-3, struck out on 3-2 middle-middle fastball, and then walked against a AAAA left-handed reliever late in the game. 

He did make a very nice play in the field on a liner, but also did not sprint to first base on the bunt and ended up late for a bunt hit. 

I suggested waiting for May 1st before making a decision, but he may set a futility record for worse average to start a major league career from a non-pitcher by then. 

He needs to go back to AAA and reset. Bring up either Norby or Mayo.

If he hit that ball 3 feet to the left or right it's a base hit. That was a good AB, just unlucky.  And he had zero chance to make that play on the bunt single. 

• Upvote 1