Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That was a very quick release by Smith.  While the throw wasn’t a bullet by any means, it certainly wasn’t a lollipop either.   I agree with the other poster.  Holliday must have had a good jump.   All in all, Smith got the ball to 2B quickly and accurately.   Probably the reason Smith went with the quick release and sidearm throw is because he saw the jump Holliday got.

His jump was lousy, even Big Ben said it looked more like hit/run type vs pure steal. Jackson is just fast when he gets going, 94th percentile sprint speed. 

8 minutes ago, Say O! said:

His jump was lousy, even Big Ben said it looked more like hit/run type vs pure steal. Jackson is just fast when he gets going, 94th percentile sprint speed. 

Big Ben is not always right.   The jump is more important than speed.    

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Big Ben is not always right.   The jump is more important than speed.    

Did u watch the game?  It was noticeable when watching on TV. They showed a camera angle specifically of the jump and it was apparent Jackson was not moving right away. 

11 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Did u watch the game?  It was noticeable when watching on TV. They showed a camera angle specifically of the jump and it was apparent Jackson was not moving right away. 

I watched some of the game.  I didn’t see that play.  I watched the highlight.   With the quick release by Smith there’s no way Holliday beats the throw by that much with a poor jump.   Probably, the reason Smith didn’t do his normal throw, and rushed it, is because he saw a good jump.  I admit, I’m just using what I consider logic by watching that replay.   I will queue the game for that play and take a deeper look.   My opinion, before I do that, is that you let Big Ben influence what you saw.

25 minutes ago, Say O! said:

So, I watched the play.  I admit it doesn’t look like a great jump but I don’t think it’s as bad as you may think.  Holliday does a very odd thing which is to look towards home plate as soon as he takes off.  It gives the impression that he hesitated but I don’t think he did.    Palmer mentions the hit and run but a runner is never going to look that soon because the pitcher hasn’t even released the ball yet.   You’d want to look a third of the way down as the ball is arriving in the hitting zone.   That was a really odd thing that Holliday did.

Again, I don’t think it was a great jump but Holliday certainly got into 2B quickly and I do think Smith usually doesn’t throw that way and did so because he knew a typical pop and throw wouldn’t have a chance.

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I watched some of the game.  I didn’t see that play.  I watched the highlight.   With the quick release by Smith there’s no way Holliday beats the throw by that much with a poor jump.   Probably, the reason Smith didn’t do his normal throw, and rushed it, is because he saw a good jump.  I admit, I’m just using what I consider logic by watching that replay.   I will queue the game for that play and take a deeper look.   My opinion, before I do that, is that you let Big Ben influence what you saw.

I was watching and thought wow, that's a pretty lousy jump.  And then Ben said something along the lines of "actually not that good of a jump there".  Jackson is fast and it was a weak throw IMO.

Just now, glenn__davis said:

I was watching and thought wow, that's a pretty lousy jump.  And then Ben said something along the lines of "actually not that good of a jump there".  Jackson is fast and it was a weak throw IMO.

Will Smith leads the NL in CS this year with 36%.  The league average is 21%.   I don’t know if the quick release, sidearm throw, is a new technique (his career averages is now 25%) or if he just felt the need to do it on that play.   Again, while the throw wasn’t a laser, I believe the combination of the quick release, throw, and accuracy made for an overall strong throw.   I believe he got the ball to 2B as quickly almost any catcher making a more conventional throw with higher velocity would have.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been happy with Holliday’s defense on this trip so far.  He’s shown some range and seemed more decisive and committed on his throws.   

Holliday is 2 for 20....11 for 50 ...still not good enough, or even acceptable..and he strikes out a ton. He's learning.