Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Do you follow other teams and other top/elite prospects in MLB? 

I ask because the way that you spoke about Holliday seems to suggest that you are ignoring how comparable prospects like Jackson Churio (the number 2 prospect also 20 years old have done).

When you look at the list of 20 year old American born players who have succeeded first go round in the Big Leagues that list is handful short. 

As you have watched the year 2 improvements of Westburg and Cowser or the year 3 improvement of Stowers. All of whom are no where near the talent of Holliday. What are your thoughts regarding how adjustments/acclimating to the significant jump to the Majors might look like year 2 (second time) for Holliday? That he is not as good of a prospects as first believed?

Well, I know who top prospects are for other teams, but I don't look at them like I do ours.

My thoughts are, I hope he's able to make the same level of adjustments and become good MLB player. Just because I think he might not be as good as we all thought he was initially doesn't mean I don't think he's going to be a good player.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Only one question for you Greg.  Where does Mayo play on next year’s team?

Also, did you say he’s never had a rep in RF?   Then who is this guy?😀

Here is the definitive answer FROM THE HORSES MOUTH.Coby Mayo has NEVER played RF in pro ball...but was recently taking reps in practice before he cracked his rib...should be back to baseball activities next week...

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t know but it sure looks like Mayo and the announcers refer to him as Mayo.  Cody Roberts was mainly a catcher.  I’ll see if I can get any video on him.

Cody?  Coby?   Hmmm .

I went and watched some of the game. Mayo is clearly #3 when he's batting. The guy in RF looks like he's #5, but there's not a clear view of his number. But if you watch Mayo at the plate then look at the guy in RF, it's not the same person.

I'm pretty sure the Akron announcers got the player wrong.

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Here is the definitive answer FROM THE HORSES MOUTH.Coby Mayo has NEVER played RF in pro ball...but was recently taking reps in practice before he cracked his rib...should be back to baseball activities next week...

Ok.

4 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I went and watched some of the game. Mayo is clearly #3 when he's batting. The guy in RF looks like he's #5, but there's not a clear view of his number. But if you watch Mayo at the plate then look at the guy in RF, it's not the same person.

I'm pretty sure the Akron announcers got the player wrong.

Ah, you should have checked Cody Roberts number.  Anyway, I’ll take Roy’s horses mouth and your detective work that it’s not actually Mayo in the clip.

29 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I’m on record as being one of JH’s biggest critics (of his D) but I’d argue that I’ve been just as much an advocate of his offensive potential. Still, I don’t think that I would classify either of Westy or Cowser as being ‘nowhere near’ the talent of JH. Both CC and JW were pretty prolific offensive players in their ML careers and project to be really good major leaguers for a long time. 

Comparing them is tough but it might be a potential of Robbie Cano to Charlie Blackmon comparison for JH and CC and perhaps something like the potential of Cano to a poor man’s Chase Utley for JH and JW. JW’s defense is now and will always be a couple ticks above JH’s. I think that as complete players JH and JW are closer than some may see it.

JW and CC were damn good minor leaguers and have both shown major strides this year with A LOT more to go.

JH’s potential may be otherworldly but he’s got a long way to go still. I believe he’s going to become that Robbie Cano type of player but I also see the potential of both CC and JW long term.

Don’t get me wrong I absolutely LOVE Jordan Westburg!!

But how old is Westburg and how old is Cowser compared to Holliday? Both were in college and nowhere close to the Major Leagues or AAA for that matter at age 20.

16 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Well, I know who top prospects are for other teams, but I don't look at them like I do ours.

My thoughts are, I hope he's able to make the same level of adjustments and become good MLB player. Just because I think he might not be as good as we all thought he was initially doesn't mean I don't think he's going to be a good player.

Understood. Makes sense know.

It may be helpful? Maybe not? To familiarize yourself a bit more to the broader context of the sport before making declarative statements regarding a 20 year old. Because there is absolutely nothing about his 2 and a half week stint in the big leagues as a 20 year that speaks to his long term potential. If you can make that kind of evaluation from that limited sampling at such an early age (aged 20) then you my friend should be a big time scout for some org. Otherwise, you are spitballing and trying to cope with your disappointment based on unrealistic expectations.

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Don’t get me wrong I absolutely LOVE Jordan Westburg!!

But how old is Westburg and how old is Cowser compared to Holliday? Both were in college and nowhere close to the Major Leagues or AAA for that matter at age 20.

I’m not taking anything away from his offensive game and accomplishments as a 20 year old kid. I think the fact that I see a Robinson Cano career for him speaks to what I believe he can become. My point is simply that if JW is not quite a Chase Utley type of player, the gap betweem them is not as wide as some believe. 

2 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

No offense taken.

Another thing that makes me think he'll stay in AAA is because there's no longer a glaring need for him in the majors. Mateo has been decent enough and I say that being someone who wanted no part of him being on the team this year. So, the combination of him not doing well the first time and the lack of need means he'll stay down longer. I said when he was sent down I didn't think we'd see him again until roster expansion, if at all this year.

Better talent is always needed.  He will be one of the best players on the team very quickly.

36 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

If Ryan O'Hearn, Chris Davis, Mark Trumbo, Trey Mancini, and DJ Stewart can play RF for the Orioles, Mayo can handle it.

LF Kjerstad CF Cowser RF Mayo is my ideal. Some balls will drop but that lineup mashes.

Way more ‘balls will drop’ than you’re probably thinking. That alignment would be one of the worst defensive outfields in baseball, exacerbated by the cavernous LF at Oriole Park. 

5 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

And the AAA pitching is really bad

The robo-umps don’t give pitchers the strikes off the plate.  Major league umps do, about 12% of the time.   That obviously has a huge impact for batters who know the strike zone.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

HR tonight.

His opposite at 2B for Yankees AAA is Josh Van Meter, who helped the Orioles to Holliday's 1-1 pick slot in Game 162 the preceding year.

Very cool! And whom Luke-OH was hoping we’d select in the Rule 5 draft the year he was eligible. 

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

The robo-umps don’t give pitchers the strikes off the plate.  Major league umps do, about 12% of the time.   That obviously has a huge impact for batters who know the strike zone.   

Just to clarify, the automated balls/strikes system in AAA is based somewhat off of vibes and not the rulebook strike zone.  The system measures a pitch on a plane at the midpoint of home plate, but the rulebook strike zone is a pentagonal prism covering the entire volume  over home plate, between the vertical boundaries.

They did in fact try using the rulebook zone but it was so tilted toward pitchers that they gave up on that really quickly and ended up fudging it.