Cole Irvin 2024

Just Regular

Another excellent outing from Irvin. It's a shame he was pulled-- it worked out, and it was good for Kimbrel to get back on the horse, but I wonder if Cole had a chance to go the distance tonight. 

Hoping he has figured it out.  Sure looked good again. Kept everyone guessing and was spinning that breaking ball nicely.  Not a ton of strike outs but a lot of weak contact and ground balls. I do enjoy how tough these guys are making it to figure out who is staying in the rotation.  And to think there was a good majority on here that thought the Os needed to add another pitcher beyond Burnes. Hope they keep it up. 

Obviously he’s not this good, but he’s in a groove now and needs to stay in the rotation.   It’s fun to watch him work when he’s locating his stuff well.  

Ever since the discussions of Bradish and Means going on the IL and getting a late start to their seasons, I have felt that Irvin would stick as a starter.  He is more suited to be in the rotation than he is to be a relief pitcher. And this past 4 weeks he is showing why. 

He can give you 180-190 innings this season if you keep putting confidence in him. 

It would be nice to have 2 decent lefties in our rotation with 1 RHP sandwiched in between them. But truth be told I don't think John Means can last more than 2 months before some type of ailment nags his body. 

1 hour ago, Malike said:

The woman on the Reds postgame said Irvin is an early contender for the Cy Young award. I had to chuckle a bit. Outstanding night.

Would have been nice for his campaign if he had been allowed to go 8 or even go for the shutout. 

He is one of my favorite guys on the team. So happy for him. He didn’t moan when he got sent down last year.  He was grinding over the winter to get better and is working with someone on the mental side. Just a great story and now a guy that has forced his way into the rotation. 

4 hours ago, interloper said:

He mentioned in the post game he's been working with the mental skills coach. Whatever you're doing, don't stop Cole. My guy is locked the f in. 

Definitely gotta respect Irvin. He seems like a guy that is willing to do whatever to win. This isn’t the first dominant stretch of his career. He was leading the AL in ERA at the all star break in 2022.