Cole Irvin 2024

Just Regular

Just now, owknows said:

No... the hyperbolic nature of your response really won't be changed one way or the other by needing Cano, Coulombe or Kimbrel in the next couple of days.

It's actually possible to question Hyde's choice without calling it breathtaking stupidity.

If I can look ahead two games, why can't he? He's the one that gets paid the big bucks. Perhaps you'd call it moderate to severe stupidity.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol half you guys wanted him out of the rotation a couple weeks ago. 

100% didn’t want him in the rotation at all going into the off sseason.

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

I do disagree. And everyone hated it in the game thread. What's changed? If Cano or Coulombe imploded this board is going nuts this morning.

Just because the Reds couldn't hit the broad side of the barn yesterday doesn't suddenly make it any less stupid of a decision.

I didn't like it either but I also don't think it was breathtakingly stupid. He had a low pitch count but had gone deep in the game, he had just given up a hard hit ball to Elly, and they had a bunch of RHB's coming up. Cano threw three pitches to get those two extra outs so no big deal.

6 minutes ago, dystopia said:

If I can look ahead two games, why can't he? He's the one that gets paid the big bucks. Perhaps you'd call it moderate to severe stupidity.

You or Hyde?   If it’s you I think “severe stupidity” is being too hard on yourself.

7 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Once again, it wasn't questioning Hyde that was being called hyperbolic.

It was your choice of the words "breathtaking stupidity"

It is the seeming equivalent of a guy who freaks out at the waiter and calls them friggin idiot if they forgot his straw.

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

Once again, it wasn't questioning Hyde that was being called hyperbolic.

It was your choice of the words "breathtaking stupidity"

It is the seeming equivalent of a guy who freaks out at the waiter and calls them friggin idiot if they forgot his straw.

Sounds like you just want to argue.

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Sounds like you just want to argue.

No. I just wanted to let you know that you could make a point without being absurdly and aggressively bombastic.

Kinda takes away from your point really.. and makes you look rather small.

But hey... you do you.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, owknows said:

No. I just wanted to let you know that you could make a point without being absurdly and aggressively bombastic.

Kinda takes away from your point really.. and makes you look rather small.

But hey... you do you.

Whether you want to call it "breathtaking stupidity" or just a normal level of stupidity... the point was, it was stupid, and he needs to be criticized for it. This is nothing new for Hyde -- he is always making dumb in-game decisions, the worst of which are ones like these: burning our best relievers for no reason, or warming guys up repeatedly and then not bringing them into the game (Buck was good at avoiding this and made a point about it). 

This will have a cumulative effect throughout the season, and Elias isn't going to be able to bail him out this time by using the Norfolk shuttle to keep our bullpen fresh like last year. Most everyone is out of options.

I get that people don't want to hear these things after a win but they need to be said.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

I am still gobsmacked Hyde yanked Irvin for no reason given Means is pitching today. You can't expect him to give you any length just coming off an injury. Breathtaking stupidity unless there was some kind of injury and I haven't heard anything to suggest that.

You are gobsmacked that in a tight game he decided to go for the win and it worked out?  Usually most people reserve that kind of extreme hyperbole for when things DONT work out, not when they work out perfectly, but I guess some people have reached a high level of fan-seat entitlement after one great season...

In other news, fantastic performance by Irvin, again I feel like one of the biggest hallmarks of this team versus a number of years ago is players just showing up in crunch time and playing above expectations.  I dont know if its the environment, character level of the guys, or what, but guys consistently show up with their best stuff when they really need to.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I get that people don't want to hear these things after a win but they need to be said.

Tough work... but somebody's gotta do it.

The world needs you I guess.  🙄

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PeregrineT said:

You are gobsmacked that in a tight game he decided to go for the win and it worked out?  Usually most people reserve that kind of extreme hyperbole for when things DONT work out, not when they work out perfectly, but I guess some people have reached a high level of fan-seat entitlement after one great season...

In other news, fantastic performance by Irvin, again I feel like one of the biggest hallmarks of this team versus a number of years ago is players just showing up in crunch time and playing above expectations.  I dont know if its the environment, character level of the guys, or what, but guys consistently show up with their best stuff when they really need to.

How was taking out a starting pitcher who was cruising with a 3 run lead at 72 pitches “going for the win”? Seems to me he was going for the loss. Either that or he gets paid by the pitching change. 

10 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Whether you want to call it "breathtaking stupidity" or just a normal level of stupidity... the point was, it was stupid, and he needs to be criticized for it. This is nothing new for Hyde -- he is always making dumb in-game decisions, the worst of which are ones like these: burning our best relievers for no reason, or warming guys up repeatedly and then not bringing them into the game (Buck was good at avoiding this and made a point about it). 

This will have a cumulative effect throughout the season, and Elias isn't going to be able to bail him out this time by using the Norfolk shuttle to keep our bullpen fresh like last year. Most everyone is out of options.

You can make a bad decision that isn’t stupid. And either way, it’s not objectively a bad decision. It was a move that won the game, using a guy that hadn’t pitched in 4 days (Cano), had pitched once in 4 days (Coulombe) and hadn’t pitched in 5 days (Kimbrel). Not like it’s a group that pitched every game in the last series.

Im sure the goal today would be to not use  Coulombe and then only use Kimbrel once more this series. Remember Monday is an off day.

Was pulling Irvin there the right choice?  None of us know.  What we do know is the no hit 2+ innings the BP gave us could not have been pitched better by Irvin.  

Hyde manages each day to win that day.  WIN TODAY and let tomorrow worry about itself. 

He didn’t have to use Suarez (who could be sick complement to follow Means today) and Akin and Webb should be available today.  Not exactly scrubs.  

• Upvote 1