Who will be our top AL East rival in 2024?

Frobby

Who will be our top AL East rival in 2024?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Aside from the Orioles, who will win the most games in the AL East this year?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/28/24 at 16:01

I could honestly see any team but Boston being the Orioles biggest challenger. 

-I think the Yankees have the highest ceiling but also are vulnerable. LeMahieu is already on the IL. Rodon is huge wildcard 

-I don’t like the bottom of the Jays lineup. I’m not sure their rotation will repeat what they did last year, especially Kikuchi. That said I agree with SG in that they are flying under the radar. They are going to need their stars to have huge years. 

-the Rays I can’t see scoring as much as they did last year. Clearly the rotation is not as good. That said they are the Rays. Steady, quality organization. 

I would probably say 

Rays 

Yankees

Jays

Given that each team already has some injuries, and meaningful ones at that, I really think depth is going to make the difference. The drop off from our #5 to our #8 starter isn’t that big, and no one else can say that.

I’m also confident that our defense will help the pitching. I swear, every time I heard,” Trumbo will play it on a hop,” God killed a kitten. Our defense is going to keep innings short, damage low, and pitch counts down, and that certainly won’t be true for NY or Boston.

I suppose I’d pick Toronto as the sleeping dragon, but honestly, I don’t think the Os are going to have to worry. I also think two WCs will come from the AL West.

We gonna crooozzz.

Se ya in the Division Series!

Who votes for pole-to-pole?

Os

Tor

Ny

Tampa

Bosox(Ha!)

Edited by Philip

This is a good question. I think alot of people would assume the Rays will be very good like last season. And the Yankees went out and made some blockbuster additions, as usual. The Yankees very well could be very improved even with their injury problems. But I'm not going to pick them until they prove they have the depth to get over the bug.

For some reason I keep getting a feeling that the Blue Jays could surprise people. Their batting lineup has the potential to be a potent as the Rangers lineup if they get hot like the Rangers did. However, I think defense might limit the Blue Jays. They just lost Chapman, but on the positive defensively they do have Kiermaier.

I'd have to think on this one a little more. I'm not really working from a full stack of information on the rivals. Just mostly gut feeling.

• 3 weeks later...

The Yankees won this preseason poll, and so far they’re off to the hottest start.  Once again, every AL East team is currently over .500 and the division is 38-24 (.613) against the rest of MLB.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I’m sure I’m biased but I expect the Yankees to fade. I don’t believe in their team. Their SP is trash without Cole and I don’t think he’s coming back anytime soon. 

I wouldn't go that far about their rotation-- at least at its current health. It's still pretty solid even without Cole, and they're considered one of the better teams at minor league pitching development these days. 

Edited by Spy Fox

On 3/28/2024 at 10:36 AM, Frobby said:

Another poll that’s closing at noon today.   I went with the Rays.  They just always seem to exceed expectations.

I went with NY and I'm sticking with it. Health will be the biggest factor for them.