2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I doubt it. That quote from Hyde seems to be his justification for playing McCann.

I said it a while ago and people said it was wrobg but it’s clear and obvious that they feel McCann is an asset vs lefties. They are looking at where he was 4+ years ago.  For a team that does so much with analytics, I have no idea why this is such a blind spot for them.

Agree, and it seemed less glaring last year, but since the defense is also not sustainable it's exceptionally glaring this year.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is a guy that when they signed him, they said he may DH and play first some.

Their belief in McCann is probably the stupidest thing of the tenure of this group of decision makers.  It’s completely misguided.

And, I hate to sound like a broken record (oldtimers reference), but this also exposes the weak underbelly of the strategy to make your 1:1 pick a catcher (as opposed to, say, a full-time shortstop). Yeah I know, they also got Gunnar, but still.

Just now, now said:

And, I hate to sound like a broken record (oldtimers reference), but this also exposes the weak underbelly of the strategy to make your 1:1 pick a catcher (as opposed to, say, a full-time shortstop). Yeah I know, they also got Gunnar, but still.

So Adley was a bad pick?  Mauer was a bad pick?  Posey would have been a bad pick? 

BTW vinyl has made a huge comeback, surprised you haven't heard.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So Adley was a bad pick?  Mauer was a bad pick?  Posey would have been a bad pick? 

BTW vinyl has made a huge comeback, surprised you haven't heard.

It would be heresy to say he's a "bad pick." Just pointing out the suspect math of giving away 40% of the catching starts, and thus another lineup spot, to a replacement level player... versus an equivalent talent who plays his position every day. Not to mention, long-term career durability (tho that gets into salary extension considerations, a whole other topic).

Edited by now

3 minutes ago, now said:

It would be heresy to say he's a "bad pick." Just pointing out the suspect math of giving away 40% of the catching starts, and thus another lineup spot, to a replacement level player... versus an equivalent talent who plays his position every day. Not to mention, long-term career durability (tho that gets into salary extension considerations, a whole other topic).

The O's are choosing to sit (DH) him that much.

That isn't the standard.

They are also the ones choosing to play a replacement level player in his place.

I also never look past the years of team control when evaluating draft picks.  What he does in year 10 has no relevance.

28 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Maybe he can hit better than McCann ?  And who else is fast 💨 as Mateo  ?  When he’s on base , he really distracts pitchers and catchers .  

The O's have a couple of catchers in AAA that would be better options in my opinion but they seem to really appreciate whatever leadership McCann brings to the table.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And his below average blocking and framing.

It's really weird how they're handling the Adley/ McCann thing.

I understand that teams always have a player or 2 in the bottom of the lineup that they don't really want to write in on a nightly basis, but to do it when you have options is perplexing.

9 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

The O's have a couple of catchers in AAA that would be better options in my opinion but they seem to really appreciate whatever leadership McCann brings to the table.

Yes they sure do and they also like his leadership work .  But I noticed some here in OH are complaining McCann being put in lineup 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I doubt it. That quote from Hyde seems to be his justification for playing McCann.

I said it a while ago and people said it was wrobg but it’s clear and obvious that they feel McCann is an asset vs lefties. They are looking at where he was 4+ years ago.  For a team that does so much with analytics, I have no idea why this is such a blind spot for them.

Fine, play McCann against lefties then.  But then why did he start last night against a right-handed starter?  

I think something's up with Adley.