2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

They’re not doing it to send a message to Cowser but he’s smart enough to know.  If you don’t produce and we have someone that will produce or we think can produce, you’re replaceable.   Cowser needs to do better.  Kjerstad needs to relax and hit like he can.  Cowser is going to replace him every night in LF when we have a lead after 7 but Cowser just lost his semi regular time.   2-3 starts per week.   You want more time?  Hit.

Statcast is great but the Boxscore is greater.   Maybe Billy Boxscore said that.  I like it.

Edited by RZNJ

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Excited for Kjerstad and would like to see Mayo tomorrow. Feels like our outfield is over crowded without another move. 

Don’t expect to see Mayo anytime soon unless someone gets injured.  They are not going to put two rookies in the field that aren’t great defensive players.  Urias is hitting fine now and is the better fielder.  Offense hasn’t been a problem with this team.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

They’re not doing it to send a message to Cowser but he’s smart enough to know.  If you don’t produce and we have someone that will produce or we think can produce, you’re replaceable.   Cowser needs to do better.  Kjerstad needs to relax and hit like he can.  Cowser is going to replace him every night in LF when we have a lead after 7 but Cowser just lost his semi regular time.   2-3 starts per week.   You want more time?  Hit.

Statcast is great but the Boxscore is greater.   Maybe Billy Boxscore said that.  I like it.

I'd be ok with a "you need to hit to play" approach if it applied to all the team's marginal hitters. But that doesn't apply to Mateo (.274 OBP), Urias (.277 OBP), or Mullins (.249 OBP). So I disagree with applying that standard only to Cowser. 

I get Mullins playing more during a hot streak, but he needs to become the team's 4th OF the next time he inevitably slumps or gets hurt. And it's past time to move on from Mateo and Urias. Mayo and Norby deserve chances, and it's worth sacrificing defense for offense with those two players. 

Kjerstad/Cowser/Santander in the OF and Mountcastle/Westburg/Mayo/Gunnar in the IF needs to be this team's regular lineup as soon as possible in order to maximize the chances of advancing deep in the playoffs and also overcoming the pitching injuries the staff has endured.

1 minute ago, Brooks The Great said:

I'd be ok with a "you need to hit to play" approach if it applied to all the team's marginal hitters. But that doesn't apply to Mateo (.274 OBP), Urias (.277 OBP), or Mullins (.249 OBP). So I disagree with applying that standard only to Cowser. 

I get Mullins playing more during a hot streak, but he needs to become the team's 4th OF the next time he inevitably slumps or gets hurt. And it's past time to move on from Mateo and Urias. Mayo and Norby deserve chances, and it's worth sacrificing defense for offense with those two players. 

Kjerstad/Cowser/Santander in the OF and Mountcastle/Westburg/Mayo/Gunnar in the IF needs to be this team's regular lineup as soon as possible in order to maximize the chances of advancing deep in the playoffs and also overcoming the pitching injuries the staff has endured.

We have 3 infielders besides Henderson, who plays everyday.  Westburg, who also plays everyday and Mateo and Urias who split time with each other.   So, if you sit Urias you have to play Mateo and vice versa.   So, it is applied.   Of course, if Mayo comes up that may change.

Mullins and Hays lost a lot of playing time, especially Hays, when they didn’t hit.   Cowser hit and got more time.   Now he’s not hitting and he’s probably going to lose time.  We need more guys hitting well.

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I just don't get the McCann start tonight. Did Adley need a break?

It's a question worth asking McCann is starting 40% of the games so far. That's a bit much for a backup catcher who is bad hitter even by catcher standards and when you have the best catch in baseball as your starter.

I get not wanting to ride Adley into the ground like the Orioles did with Wieters, but this is too far in the other direction for me. Is Adley nursing some nagging injury or soreness and the team doesn't want to disclose it so the other team tries to take advantage. I don't think that's it.

Maybe they are trying to keep Adley fresh to start more at catcher the second half of the season.

16 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It's a question worth asking McCann is starting 40% of the games so far. That's a bit much for a backup catcher who is bad hitter even by catcher standards and when you have the best catch in baseball as your starter.

I get not wanting to ride Adley into the ground like the Orioles did with Wieters, but this is too far in the other direction for me. Is Adley nursing some nagging injury or soreness and the team doesn't want to disclose it so the other team tries to take advantage. I don't think that's it.

Maybe they are trying to keep Adley fresh to start more at catcher the second half of the season.

I think it’s your last point. 

That said if I was a media member I would be asking Hyde about it. 

• Upvote 1

I get trying to keep him fresh, but one of the things that brings value is the fact that you get his offensive production from the catcher position. Every time he's not catching, you lose that. By no means do I want to wear him out, but at this rate, he won't even catch 100 games. Now, if you had Basallo ready for the majors and he and Adley were taking turns, that's a different story, but McCann is hitting vs. whoever else could be DHing. Right now, that's hurting the lineup. 

If they’re going to insist on Adley DHing so much, just bring up a third catcher in place of Stowers. It’s not like they’re letting Stowers play and at least this way you can PH for McCann without losing the DH. There’s no justifiable reason for McCann to have hit in the 7th inning last night. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

If they’re going to insist on Adley DHing so much, just bring up a third catcher in place of Stowers. It’s not like they’re letting Stowers play and at least this way you can PH for McCann without losing the DH. There’s no justifiable reason for McCann to have hit in the 7th inning last night. 

Stowers is in AAA.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Bring back Billy Boxscore!