Best Opening Day ever? I say yes.

Frobby

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It's going to be unbelievable. I truly expect Gunnar, Adley, Holliday, Mayo and Basallo to be silver slugger types. All at the same time. And the rest of the lineup will be good too. 

I sometimes wonder if we take the current "old" guys for granted. Santander in particular. Even so, we'll have the opportunity to keep the ones we want/need to, so it's almost like the worst case scenario is that we have today's lineup plus whatever awesome dudes force themselves in as upgrades. 

Yea I can see that and Frobby has been talking about that a while.  He’s not wrong but we just have too many guys and too much talent to keep those guys around, especially as they get expensive. 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I can see that and Frobby has been talking about that a while.  He’s not wrong but we just have too many guys and too much talent to keep those guys around, especially as they get expensive. 

Well, I think there's a case to be made for each of them individually, but certainly not for all of them collectively.

Personally, I'm not sold on Cowser, Kjerstad, Beavers and Bradfield to be studs. I like them all, but wouldn't be shocked if none of the four becomes a ML stud. 

I acknowledge that all could, but I wouldn't really bet on it for any one of them in particular right now. I think that's the point Frobby was trying to make. Just because we have highly rated guys doesn't mean that they'll end up as good as Hays, Mullins and Santander. Those dudes aren't scrubs.

I do hope that at least one of the 4 ends up in the category with the other 5 massive upside dudes. 

19 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hard to top 1992. Sutcliffe complete game shutout at the new park. People forget, but that 1992 team was surprisingly good after the dud squad of 1991. That Opening Day was a tone setter. 

This one was really good. It’s neck and neck for me. 

If this year ends in a deep playoff run I will reevaluate. Until then 1992 will remain tops for me as it was the start of a new era for Orioles baseball in the best ballpark in all of MLB.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Did you actually read what I wrote or did you just decide to go all CNN on me and make stuff up?  :)

I didn’t say the production would be better.  I said the talent is better. Talent doesn’t always equate to production but there is no doubt the talent level will be raised.

Given a choice, I'll take better production over better talent.  What does preferring talent over production even mean?  We lose more games, but look better doing it.  Sounds like you're making a News Max invalid deductive argument.  😁

Edited by BRobinsonfan

52 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If this year ends in a deep playoff run I will reevaluate. Until then 1992 will remain tops for me as it was the start of a new era for Orioles baseball in the best ballpark in all of MLB.

In my mind, how the rest of the season goes has nothing to do with how good Opening Day was.  How the season is expected to go does have a lot to do with it, however.  

I have to say, I wasn’t alive for 1954, but having a new franchise had to make that OD awfully hard to top.  

2 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Given a choice, I'll take better production over better talent.  What does preferring talent over production even mean?  We lose more games, but look better doing it.  Sounds like you're making a News Max invalid deductive argument.  😁

I never said I wanted talent over production. Thats fake news. 😁

3 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Well, I think there's a case to be made for each of them individually, but certainly not for all of them collectively.

Personally, I'm not sold on Cowser, Kjerstad, Beavers and Bradfield to be studs. I like them all, but wouldn't be shocked if none of the four becomes a ML stud. 

I acknowledge that all could, but I wouldn't really bet on it for any one of them in particular right now. I think that's the point Frobby was trying to make. Just because we have highly rated guys doesn't mean that they'll end up as good as Hays, Mullins and Santander. Those dudes aren't scrubs.

I do hope that at least one of the 4 ends up in the category with the other 5 massive upside dudes. 

Not scrubs but not studs either (Mullins was a stud for one year).

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, baltfan said:

This. Fresh out of college, we walked up and bought bleacher seats from the box office a few hours before the game. Track...wall...See, You, Later!! 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I never said I wanted talent over production. Thats fake news. 😁

What did you mean by this? 👇

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I didn’t say the production would be better.  I said the talent is better. Talent doesn’t always equate to production but there is no doubt the talent level will be raised.

26 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

What did you mean by this? 👇

Does it really need to be explained that better talent that is young and has all their service time is a better bet than aging middling players that are going to be expensive and on the wrong side of 30?

It doesn’t mean they will be better..it just means that it’s a smarter bet to make.