Winter 2024 40-Man Additions

luismatos4prez

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I might be higher on Brnovich more than others.  I like his K/9 K/IP rate.  His WHIP has always been low too.  More K's than IP.  Doesn't have a bunch of baserunners.  He turns 27 shortly.  He's sort of a RH Zimmerman.  I think you protect a guy like that because he can be a up/down guy for 3 years, but also is the type of arm that would get picked in the Rule 5.

We always way overestimate who would get picked in the rule 5.  IF things stay the same with Brnovich and he sniffs AAA this year, then I say in his case that we protect him.  Losing the three SP to TJ helps his case.  

You didn’t answer my question.

Portes 21 in high A

Chace 20 in high A

Young 25 in AAA

Brnovich 26 in AA

Which ones are you protecting?

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Portes 21 in high A

Chace 20 in high A

Young 25 in AAA

Brnovich 26 in AA

It's Young for me. If only because he's a logical spot starter at some point and we're desperate for SP depth. Teams aren't reaching into A-ball. Someone might reach for Brnovich, but he's coming back if so IMO. 

Edited by interloper

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's Young for me. If only because he's a logical spot starter at some point and we're desperate for SP depth. Teams aren't reaching into A-ball. Someone might reach for Brnovich, but he's coming back if so IMO. 

Right.  Agree that Young is a possibility or probability.  I don’t want to say Brnovich is 0% but it’s darn close.   Portes, I think is close to 0%.  Chace around 20%.   Young about 50%.   I wouldn’t be shocked if all 4 were not protected.    

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Portes 21 in high A

Chace 20 in high A

Young 25 in AAA

Brnovich 26 in AA

I didn't bring up those names.  Our 40 man situation isn't at a crunch level yet where we could lose a player.  McCann, Santa, Kimbrel, and Burnes are FA.  Hays and/or Mullins could be non tendered.  Urias, Mateo, and O'Hearn could be dealt away to make room for younger players.  Then pitchers like Zimmerman, Vespi, Akin, Baker, and Heasley, will be out of options next year.  Avila and Stoudt were recent waiver claims that might just be for depth this season.  Krook might not even get a callup this year.  

There's plenty of room to protect/add everyone we need to.  

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I didn't bring up those names.  Our 40 man situation isn't at a crunch level yet where we could lose a player.  McCann, Santa, Kimbrel, and Burnes are FA.  Hays and/or Mullins could be non tendered.  Urias, Mateo, and O'Hearn could be dealt away to make room for younger players.  Then pitchers like Zimmerman, Vespi, Akin, Baker, and Heasley, will be out of options next year.  Avila and Stoudt were recent waiver claims that might just be for depth this season.  Krook might not even get a callup this year.  

There's plenty of room to protect/add everyone we need to.  

Didn’t say there wasn’t enough room.  Just asked who you would protect and in what order.  Not that there is an order.  Who do you think the team would least like to lose out of those 4 names?   I know my answer.

This is a very interesting topic and I wish I paid closer attention. It seems that with pitching being in such demand, teams will be falling all over themselves to make picks in the rule five draft, so I bet that any pitcher we expose will be selected.

Justin Slaten has been excellent with Boston, so gems can certainly be found there.

Midseason Update (Tony's Ranking in parentheses)

Locks:

1. Coby Mayo (3): Stud, hoping he's off this list by August

2. Chayce McDermott (6): 13.12 K/9 in AAA

Looking Good:

3. Brandon Young (20): I'd protect him if the season ended today, but I'm not sold. 4.00 FIP 4.80 xFIP in Norfolk since his promotion.

Eligible and Interesting But Not Worth Protecting Now:

Edgar Portes (25): 3.11 FIP in A+ at 21 yo is impressive. But I don't see Mike protecting anyone who hasn't pitched in AA. If he gets a promotion this summer, that would say a lot to me.

Billy Cook (32): 108 wRC+ in AAA without much defensive value. 

Moises Chace (33): 80 grade pitcher name with a 6.23 BB/9 in Aberdeen

Juan Nunez (HM): 3.53 FIP in Aberdeen but he's been hurt and hasn't pitched in a month.

Kade Strowd (HM): Disappointing showing in Norfolk so far. 7.27 BB/9 and 2.08 HR/9

Other Eligible Names You Know:

Reed Trimble, Carlos Tavera, Trey McGough, Dylan Heid, Maverick Handley, Hudson Haskin, John Rhodes, Keagan Gillies, Justin Armbreuster, Stiven Acevedo

Any disagreements?

• Upvote 1

Luis Gonzalez is on a MiL deal but I think he has a good shot to be added to the 40 man rather than going back to minor league free agency. His AAA numbers are very good and he could be the replacement Vespi up/down lefty. He’ll have all 3 options.

Only impediment may be that Krook will still have an option next year and McHough could be added instead, and maybe they’ll want to keep one or both of them and feel that makes Gonzalez redundant.  But Gonzalez has definitely out pitched both. 

17 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Midseason Update (Tony's Ranking in parentheses)

Locks:

1. Coby Mayo (3): Stud, hoping he's off this list by August

2. Chayce McDermott (6): 13.12 K/9 in AAA

Looking Good:

3. Brandon Young (20): I'd protect him if the season ended today, but I'm not sold. 4.00 FIP 4.80 xFIP in Norfolk since his promotion.

Eligible and Interesting But Not Worth Protecting Now:

Edgar Portes (25): 3.11 FIP in A+ at 21 yo is impressive. But I don't see Mike protecting anyone who hasn't pitched in AA. If he gets a promotion this summer, that would say a lot to me.

Billy Cook (32): 108 wRC+ in AAA without much defensive value. 

Moises Chace (33): 80 grade pitcher name with a 6.23 BB/9 in Aberdeen

Juan Nunez (HM): 3.53 FIP in Aberdeen but he's been hurt and hasn't pitched in a month.

Kade Strowd (HM): Disappointing showing in Norfolk so far. 7.27 BB/9 and 2.08 HR/9

Other Eligible Names You Know:

Reed Trimble, Carlos Tavera, Trey McGough, Dylan Heid, Maverick Handley, Hudson Haskin, John Rhodes, Keagan Gillies, Justin Armbreuster, Stiven Acevedo

Any disagreements?

I could see McGough getting added, possibly this year. He has a solid resume. Could become the next Vespi (optionable lefty guy) especially if we lose Vespi to waivers.

I predict Billy Cook gets traded for a bullpen arm.

46 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I could see McGough getting added, possibly this year. He has a solid resume. Could become the next Vespi (optionable lefty guy) especially if we lose Vespi to waivers.

I predict Billy Cook gets traded for a bullpen arm.

It's possible, but McGough is a poor man's Vespi in my opinion. He doesn't miss as many bats. I could see it if he finishes the year strong, but I suspect there are too many lefties ahead of him for him to get added this year.

12 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

It's possible, but McGough is a poor man's Vespi in my opinion. He doesn't miss as many bats. I could see it if he finishes the year strong, but I suspect there are too many lefties ahead of him for him to get added this year.

Who else would be ahead of him? I agree it is a stretch for this year but Akin may force the issue and I don't see much after him and Vespi. Davidson is interesting but could be more of a Zimmermann replacement and he's out of options.

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Luis Gonzalez is on a MiL deal but I think he has a good shot to be added to the 40 man rather than going back to minor league free agency. His AAA numbers are very good and he could be the replacement Vespi up/down lefty. He’ll have all 3 options.

Only impediment may be that Krook will still have an option next year and McHough could be added instead, and maybe they’ll want to keep one or both of them and feel that makes Gonzalez redundant.  But Gonzalez has definitely out pitched both. 

Good point, I assumed since he's 32 he'd been on a 40 man roster and wouldn't have options but it looks like you're right. And he's been lights out in Norfolk.

I'd rather see him get a look than Krook or McGough.

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Who else would be ahead of him? I agree it is a stretch for this year but Akin may force the issue and I don't see much after him and Vespi. Davidson is interesting but could be more of a Zimmermann replacement and he's out of options.

Lefty Depth:
Coulombe, Perez, Akin, Vespi, Krook, Gonzalez, McGough

All of those guys miss more bats than McGough. Krook just got called up so he's clearly ahead in the depth chart.

And this is off-topic but Akin is good if you look at his overall numbers this year. People are too hard on him because he looks like a goofball.

4 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Lefty Depth:
Coulombe, Perez, Akin, Vespi, Krook, Gonzalez, McGough

All of those guys miss more bats than McGough. Krook just got called up so he's clearly ahead in the depth chart.

And this is off-topic but Akin is good if you look at his overall numbers this year. People are too hard on him because he looks like a goofball.

Vespi is definitely ahead of Krook, Gonzalez and McGough, but Krook may just have gotten called up over the other two because he was already on the 40. They may want to keep McGough and Gonzalez in the minors this year so they don’t burn an option year on them if possible. And both probably benefit from more AAA reps anyway, Gonzalez was in international leagues for a couple years and hasn’t performed like this at AAA before and it’s McGough’s first experience at AAA.

The most interesting thing for lefties next year is if they hang onto Akin’s last option this year. Then next year they could choose to option Akin and hang onto Vespi once he’s out of options. But I think Akin is easily the most talented of this group and his numbers overall are good, he’s just often frustrating.

16 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Vespi is definitely ahead of Krook, Gonzalez and McGough, but Krook may just have gotten called up over the other two because he was already on the 40. They may want to keep McGough and Gonzalez in the minors this year so they don’t burn an option year on them if possible. And both probably benefit from more AAA reps anyway, Gonzalez was in international leagues for a couple years and hasn’t performed like this at AAA before and it’s McGough’s first experience at AAA.

The most interesting thing for lefties next year is if they hang onto Akin’s last option this year. Then next year they could choose to option Akin and hang onto Vespi once he’s out of options. But I think Akin is easily the most talented of this group and his numbers overall are good, he’s just often frustrating.

Akin’s overall metrics continue to be excellent this year (SIERA, xERA, K%, BB%, whiff rate, hard hit rate, Stuff+, botERA) but his Clutch index on Fangraphs is 6th worst out of 132 relievers with at least 30 IP.  He has come up short in big spots.  The hope is that this is just random and not indicative of how he’ll perform in the clutch going forward.

• Thanks 1