Ryan Mountcastle 2024

6 hours ago, btdart20 said:

It's one thing to train quick twitch muscle.  It's another to improve neuro pathway speed.  Which is why fastball hunting early is the path for many.

Thats the next frontier.  I think we will see some major breakthroughs eventually.  

https://athletesbest.com/build-myelin-enhance-skills/

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/17590914221097510

Edited by emmett16

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s definitely one of those phrases where different people have very different interpretations.   When I hear “professional hitter,” Harold Baines is the guy who immediately pops into my head.  

A Hall of Famer?

Pretty high bar.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, forphase1 said:

- Vertigo - True.  All players have injuries/illnesses they go through.  His was fairly unique, but still.

- The Wall - ALL hitters have to take account the park in which they play 1/2 of their games.  Be it a launch pad, pitchers park, ridiculously easy right field porches, etc.

- Drafted and developed under a different regime.  - Why?  This should have no bearing on the player he is today.  Either he's talented and a good hitter or he isn't.  Who drafted him is not relevant at this point.

- He’s only 12 months older than Adley.  Meaning he can grow into being a more “professional hitter”. - Sure.  But he's had more time in the MLB than Adley, thus more time to hone his craft at the highest level.  At 27 and with over 1600 MLB at bats, I think it's pretty safe to say that what we've seen from him is pretty much what we are going to get with him.  Small, marginal improvements are possible, but I don't expect him to vary much from his recent/career numbers/trends at this point.  

-How much does the current coaching staff/analytics dept help him compared to previously.  - At this point it is what it is.  This is no longer a 'new' regime.  The coaching staff/analytics have now had years to 'fix' him.  I'd say whatever work they COULD do with him they HAVE done with him.  

I like him.  He's a good, but flawed, player.  He has value.  But like many other players on our team (Hays for example) he's not SO good that we shouldn't consider moving on from him when/if we have a talented player who is ready to take his place.  Now we don't currently have that at 1st base, though perhaps a Mayo/Kjerstad will fill that role sometime in the future.  We will see.  

What’s your beef with Mountcastle?  He has a .900+ OPS since last year’s ASB.  

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s definitely one of those phrases where different people have very different interpretations.   When I hear “professional hitter,” Harold Baines is the guy who immediately pops into my head.  

It’s always BJ Surhoff for me, though I couldn’t articulate why LOL. But Baines is another good example. 

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

Lol I wasn't even trying to argue anything or make any point. My original post was just "hey I like this guy". 

You can’t like Mountcastle. He’s too grown now. Must move onto Mayo. Mayo is being blocked by Mountcastle. Mayo’s .902 AAA OPS is so much better than Mountcastle’s .900+ OPS since coming off the IL with Vertigo last year. Mountcastle is an old broke down 26 year old. Throw the bum out. 🤪

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What’s your beef with Mountcastle?  He has a .900+ OPS since last year’s ASB.  

I don't so much have a beef with Mountcastle.  He is what he is at this point.   A decent to good batter, but with some serious flaws and cold streaks who plays a decent 1st base.   I have a beef with those who treat him as some elite player who should be counted on going forward and shouldn't even be considered to be replaced.   

Mountcastle has 1600 MLB at bats.   At this point expecting much improvement is probably not going happen.  He's a VERY streaky hitter who can carry a club for weeks, then go through a Mateo like cold steak,  though it never lasts a long as Mateos seem to do. 

Point is,  we have a lot of good,  but flawed,  players, like Mountcastle and Hayes.  I'm not trying to push any of them out of the door,  but at the same time when/if we are able to upgrade their positions with better talent,  we should do so.   Honestly right now we only have 3 positions that we shouldn't be trying to improve upon.   Catcher, Short Stop and #1 starter.  Every other role/position on the team COULD be upgraded with the right guy in AAA (Holiday over Westburg, Westburg/Mayo over Urias possibly, etc) or in free agency,  if we decide to spend the money or trades.  Not saying any of those HAVE to be traded, but none are so elite that we shouldn't think about it. 

I like Mountcastle and of course if he could maintain that .900 OPS from last year and become elite, then my tone will change.   Heck I can't stand Mateo, but if the Mateo from April of 2023 stays around all the season,  then extend that man!  🙂 but I'll take the overall body of work versus just a SSS of 1/4 of a season or so in Mountcastles case.  But until he proves that he's changed and has become elite I be calling for the possibility that he be replaced by a better performing player,  if we have one possibly.   At the moment I don't think we do however,  though some may be close. 

3 hours ago, forphase1 said:

I don't so much have a beef with Mountcastle.  He is what he is at this point.   A decent to good batter, but with some serious flaws and cold streaks who plays a decent 1st base.   I have a beef with those who treat him as some elite player who should be counted on going forward and shouldn't even be considered to be replaced.   

Mountcastle has 1600 MLB at bats.   At this point expecting much improvement is probably not going happen.  He's a VERY streaky hitter who can carry a club for weeks, then go through a Mateo like cold steak,  though it never lasts a long as Mateos seem to do. 

Point is,  we have a lot of good,  but flawed,  players, like Mountcastle and Hayes.  I'm not trying to push any of them out of the door,  but at the same time when/if we are able to upgrade their positions with better talent,  we should do so.   Honestly right now we only have 3 positions that we shouldn't be trying to improve upon.   Catcher, Short Stop and #1 starter.  Every other role/position on the team COULD be upgraded with the right guy in AAA (Holiday over Westburg, Westburg/Mayo over Urias possibly, etc) or in free agency,  if we decide to spend the money or trades.  Not saying any of those HAVE to be traded, but none are so elite that we shouldn't think about it. 

I like Mountcastle and of course if he could maintain that .900 OPS from last year and become elite, then my tone will change.   Heck I can't stand Mateo, but if the Mateo from April of 2023 stays around all the season,  then extend that man!  🙂 but I'll take the overall body of work versus just a SSS of 1/4 of a season or so in Mountcastles case.  But until he proves that he's changed and has become elite I be calling for the possibility that he be replaced by a better performing player,  if we have one possibly.   At the moment I don't think we do however,  though some may be close. 

A well reasoned and nuanced take.

I would add that Mountcastle’s hard hit and *expected numbers have been red/elite level last two seasons per statcast.  And those are probably weighted more heavily in Sig models.  If Mounty can maintain those in 2024, I wouldn’t be surprised if he becomes harder to displace than the veteran OFs. 

I saw one ugly old school Mounty chase swing tonight, but it looked like he kicked his own ass into gear and got right.  1BB and no Ks.  Lotta balls hit hard.  Mounty will be the X factor this year.  If he takes the next step our 1 & 2 batters get more ABs. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I saw one ugly old school Mounty chase swing tonight, but it looked like he kicked his own ass into gear and got right.  1BB and no Ks.  Lotta balls hit hard.  Mounty will be the X factor this year.  If he takes the next step our 1 & 2 batters get more ABs. 

It would be cool to see Mountcastle have his breakout season. While he's probably never going to a high OBP hitter if Mountcastle can be selective enough at the plate he's going to be a problem for opposing pitchers.

Besides maybe Gunnar, Mountcastle hits the ball as hard as any hitter on the team when he barrels up a ball.