2024 Prospect Power Rankings

Tony-OH

How badly did we miss on Carter Young?  Is the kid hurt still or is this what we are getting with him?  I thought when we drafted him late it was because he was a projected third round pick but he got hurt and we were tempting him to leave college.  It seems he has never shown anything after being drafted.  Tony does not even have him on the chart anymore.  

I am guessing this guy is a bust?  

18 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Enrique Bradfield Jr. kind of worries me.  I saw some post that said the Orioles gave him some things to do in the off season and he didn't do them.  I have no details.  

They got to get this guy to drive the ball some how or he risk being a bust.  I honestly never was in love with this pick.  

That was total conjecture.  No one said that.  He was interviewed and said he’ll get stronger naturally which led me to think that maybe they wanted him to hit the weights more.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

That was total conjecture.  No one said that.  He was interviewed and said he’ll get stronger naturally which led me to think that maybe they wanted him to hit the weights more.

Agreed.  This is one of those urban legends that’s taking on a life of its own, based on nothing.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Updated

Prerty stable rarpy on, which makes sense.

Was there much of a decision between Beavers and Povich?  Not that Beavers deserves to be bumped down, but it does feel like Povich deserves a bump up.  Especially doing it at AAA.

Posted (edited)

Thanks, as always for the list.  Minor quibbles.   Carter Baumler?   Is it all about the bonus?   When I saw video from the AFL it was 91-93 with a decent curve and change.  I’d take Chace, Nunez, Young, and Forret  all over him on talent and  they all, including Young, have a better chance of not breaking down.

Prediction.  Etzel will be close to top 10 by August.

Edited by RZNJ

There is definitely a heavy bias keeping the "unofficial" Power Rankings from straying too far from the "official" Prospect Rankings for the time being. Looks like only a couple guys have moved significantly based on performance.

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Prerty stable rarpy on, which makes sense.

Was there much of a decision between Beavers and Povich?  Not that Beavers deserves to be bumped down, but it does feel like Povich deserves a bump up.  Especially doing it at AAA.

Early on I tend to not move guys much at the top unless of extreme performances one way or the other. You could argue Povich's start is an extremely good start and he could be bumped up. They're pretty exchangeable as prospects talent goes so I wouldn't argue if someone thought Povich belonged ahead of Beavers.

22 hours ago, Gurgi said:

How badly did we miss on Carter Young?  Is the kid hurt still or is this what we are getting with him?  I thought when we drafted him late it was because he was a projected third round pick but he got hurt and we were tempting him to leave college.  It seems he has never shown anything after being drafted.  Tony does not even have him on the chart anymore.  

I am guessing this guy is a bust?  

I just never got the Carter love or why anyone thought he should get the bonus he got. He was coming off a horrid junior season and even in his "breakout" sophomore season he struck out too much against inferior college pitching.

I've never seen him flash a plus tool, he was a huge disappointment defensively, and he just can't hit. 

The fact that they spent 30K on a guy like Jalen Vasquez and he looks like a much better player in almost every aspect really shows that no matter how far evaluations have come, there are still going to busts and guys who "overachieve" based on draft status.

The one thing the Carter situation hopefully taught the Orioles brass is that you can't just ignore college stats (particularly when they are not good) from a hitter's perceptive. They've tried this tact a few times now and not surprising, they can't hit in the pros either.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I just never got the Carter love or why anyone thought he should get the bonus he got. He was coming off a horrid junior season and even in his "breakout" sophomore season he struck out too much against inferior college pitching.

I've never seen him flash a plus tool, he was a huge disappointment defensively, and he just can't hit. 

The fact that they spent 30K on a guy like Jalen Vasquez and he looks like a much better player in almost every aspect really shows that no matter how far evaluations have come, there are still going to busts and guys who "overachieve" based on draft status.

The one thing the Carter situation hopefully taught the Orioles brass is that you can't just ignore college stats (particularly when they are not good) from a hitter's perceptive. They've tried this tact a few times now and not surprising, they can't hit in the pros either.

IIRC, the hope for Carter was if there was something hidden by the injury...  He was touted, then got hurt, them crapped the bed, then a dice roll and some $.  Unfortunately, he’s still waking up a mess.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Early on I tend to not move guys much at the top unless of extreme performances one way or the other. You could argue Povich's start is an extremely good start and he could be bumped up. They're pretty exchangeable as prospects talent goes so I wouldn't argue if someone thought Povich belonged ahead of Beavers.

That's fair.  I've been higher on Povich than most for the last two years, so my bias is probably showing a bit too.  At this rate, it'll be interesting to see how he pops on mid-season nationals...  it wouldn't shock me if jumps into top 50s.

39 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

That's fair.  I've been higher on Povich than most for the last two years, so my bias is probably showing a bit too.  At this rate, it'll be interesting to see how he pops on mid-season nationals...  it wouldn't shock me if jumps into top 50s.

If he keeps pitching to a sub 1.50 ERA he certainly will.