Is anyone else bothered by the fact Colton Cowser is not starting vs a RHP?

Filmstudy

This is reminding of Stowers last year.  He’ll be played sparingly and sent down at the end of April after struggling in 40 at bats over a 30 game stretch. 

Edited by ChuckS

What’s’ “significant playing time?”   Personally I’d draw the line at 50 PA per month.  For reference, Westburg had 66, 87 and 60 PA in his three full months with the team last year.   

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What’s’ “significant playing time?”   Personally I’d draw the line at 50 PA per month.  For reference, Westburg had 66, 87 and 60 PA in his three full months with the team last year.   

I think Westburg is a good reference. 

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d say 60 based on those numbers.  Westburg got regular but not every day PT as I recall, so those numbers are a good baseline. 

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Greater than “occasional playing time”

7 minutes ago, HandsomeQuack said:

I will tell myself that this is because of Canning's reverse splits and overall profile, like others have pointed out. This should not be the norm. Mountcastle should be viewed as more of a platoon bat.

The Cowser should be in for O’Hearn.

Zero reason not to play Cowser today and this is horrible omen for how they’re going to use him. 

41 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

He’s got a nasty CU he throws 21% of the time.  Cowser batted .000 on CU last year.  Yes I know it’s a very SSS.  Also has a good slider & curve.  Cowser was thought to be cheating on FBs that left him vulnerable to good off-speed. 

Interesting, thanks. Will be curious to see how often he’s in the lineup when we face a stretch of RHPs. I’m hoping for 3-4 starts a week, but that may be too optimistic. 

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Why would he be in for O’Hearn?

Because O’Hearn is a lefty. This is if you’re putting stock in the reverse splits. If not, then he should be playing over Hays. 

• Confused 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Or the Williams sisters, but I doubt he'd mention girls.  
    • Possible? Sure. Yet, I'd be surprised by any trades in the divisions, unless it was considered a minor one.  I doubt Elias would want to see any of his prospects helping an AL East rival when he can get similar players elsewhere.
    • Tiger Woods, of course, standing as an excellent example of a guy who was precociously skilled at a sport at a very young age (because his dad made him play) but never quite got there as a pro. There’s some merit to what you’re referencing here. I would absolutely buy that his lifelong exposure to baseball is a significant factor in his success at a young age. But I think that type of thing is far more applicable when evaluating youth or high school, maybe college level players. At lower levels and younger ages, I suspect extreme advantages in experience, practice time, and hands-on coaching can absolutely give a less talented kid a leg up. However, I think there’s a ceiling for how far a ho-hum kid can go on the back of force-fed baseball obsession — and I’m pretty sure that ceiling is a lot lower than “excellent hitter at AAA at age 20.“ I think you have to have the goods to reach that level, no matter how much baseball your daddy exposed you to as a kid. Ceiling-wise, as I’ve said, I do think he’s probably lower than some of these absolute tool demons like Gunnar and Witt and Acuna. I would not trade Gunnar for him, for example. But lots of these guys I’ve compared him to as 2Bs (Cano, Utley, Altuve, Pedroia, Kinsler) were not super tooled-up guys, and they’re all among the 25-50 most valuable players of the last 25 years or so. I don’t know that you have to be a Greek god to be a perennial All-Star type player, at least at that particular position.  
    • Why do you want to elevate the opposing pitcher's pitch count?
    • I really hope that doesn't happen. Hyde said that the 6-man rotation was not going to be a permanent thing, nor should it with our schedule and our bullpen situation. The pen needs a long man. Suarez is a maybe to complete five innings. Suarez should be in the pen, not starting at Yankee Stadium.
    • If a team is not getting walks, they aren't elevating the opponent pitcher's pitch count. They are also having quicker innings and taxing their own pitchers.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now