Gunnar Henderson 2024

46 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I remember seeing him in that age 20 season and thinking he was Christ in cleats. 

Wanted to really like that guy but he made it impossible. Hell of a player. I don’t care about the PEDs like I used to but he was amazing without the juice. 

He went 40/40 in his age 22 season.  This was slightly before my time.  Almost wish I was a few years older so I could have seen and appreciated that era.  

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You can make a career argument for Cal, but peak is much harder. Cal's 1991 is better than any ARod season, but ARod had six 8-win seasons as a SS to Cal's three. Then there's things like ARod stole more bases in 1998 than Cal did in his career, and Cal grounded into 100 more DPs.

I'll stop now because it seems kind of dirty to even be having this discussion.

It is weird that he didn't expect that 80% of the population hates him after going to play for the Yankees as the highest-paid player in the game and then getting caught with PEDs.

Also unforced errors like the Ha, I got it! moment against the Jays and that odd mirror photo shoot.

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Except he made his money as a used car salesman. Or owner of a number of car lots. You almost have to be slimy to do that.

"Surrreee... that smell is normal, and the knocking is the sound of power. These engines are powerful. Just Detroit doesn't want you to know because of the government regulations and all. So if you can just sign right here, and then down there for the undercoating, because you don't want this thing rusting out in these Wisconsin winters, do you? That'll be $22,884.83 in 128 easy payments for your new-to-you 1983 Ford Festiva! Congrats!"

At least Manfred finally broke the stranglehold the boomer hidebound traditionalists had on the game, and isn't as big on selling clear problems as features. Not that he's anywhere near perfect...

You reeled off that spiel entirely too accurately and now I think it’s personal cause you bought a ‘98 Tarus that someone rolled the miles back on. 

3 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

I wonder what the most WAR a team's draft class has ever put up in a single season?  Going into last night, we already had 9.1 bWar between Gunnar, Adley and Stowers (contributing with a 0.1) plus a 2.2 from Joey Ortiz so far.  You also would need to subtract the -0.4 from Hernaiz, not a math guy but that comes out to 10.9 bWar for me halfway through the season.

That's a pretty impressive showing 5 years after the 2019 draft IMO. 

Back years ago the draft had multiple phases, one in January and one in June, with secondary portions. I don't understand all of it.

Anyway in the regular June part of 1968 the Dodgers drafted Bobby Valentine (2 WAR), Bill Buckner (15), Tom Paciorek (8), Joe Ferguson (21), and Doyle Alexander (35).  In the January portion they got Davey Lopes (42), and Geoff Zahn (20). And in the June secondary draft got Steve Garvey (38), and Ron Cey (54).

So in one year they drafted 235 WAR of value.

The '83 Red Sox got Roger Clemens and Ellis Burks, a total of 189 WAR by themselves.

The '76 Tigers got Trammell, Morris, Steve Kemp, and Dan Petry, around 130 WAR. They also drafted Ozzie Smith (77 WAR), but he didn't sign.

Then you have the 1983 Orioles who got 0.0 out of their June class, with no player in the entire class ever making the majors for even a single game. Although they took Mark Leiter in the January portion, and after being injured and released made the majors with a series of other teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

He went 40/40 in his age 22 season.  This was slightly before my time.  Almost wish I was a few years older so I could have seen and appreciated that era.  

He was on the west coast, we didn't get to see all that much of it.

It's so much better now.  Oh Ohtani is up, switch over and watch.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

You reeled off that spiel entirely too accurately and now I think it’s personal cause you bought a ‘98 Tarus that someone rolled the miles back on. 

Has nothing at all to do with me buying a used car last weekend for one of my kids to learn to drive stick, and 90 minutes into ownership it had to be towed home and we still haven't figured out what's wrong. 🤬

• Haha 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He was on the west coast, we didn't get to see all that much of it.

It's so much better now.  Oh Ohtani is up, switch over and watch.

True.  Having access to every game these days is awesome.  I vaguely remember watching the O’s on HTS as a young kid with Michael Reghi.  And the Braves on TBS.  That was the only games on TV.  Baseball Tonight was awesome back then.  

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Has nothing at all to do with me buying a used car last weekend for one of my kids to learn to drive stick, and 90 minutes into ownership it had to be towed home and we still haven't figured out what's wrong. 🤬

I don't know why you are upset.  Didn't they tell you you needed the undercoating?  Then you said no.   See?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is Gunnar having the best Oriole season ever?  Is he having the best SS season in MLB history?  Through 81… 52 HR 26 SB pace. The other numbers are absurd too. 

It's right there with Frank Robinson in 1966 and Cal Ripken in 1991. It's all going to depend if Gunnar can stay close to his torrid pace during the second half.

I am going Sunday Night.  Will be my 4th trip to the Yard this year.  It is an absolute joy to watch these Orioles, and I have enjoyed all of them...well maybe not getting to watch Thiago Vieira try to pitch.  

Gunnar has just been a treat to watch in person.  And yes there is plenty of season left to go, but his last 12 months have been nothing short of...it's tough to actually put into words.  But I like it.