John Means 2024

Tony-OH

Pretty brutal start of the season for Means as he was crushed by a Durham Bulls lineup for 7 runs in just one inning or work.

He did not miss many bats (18% whiff) on any pitch. 

It's just spring training for him, but not making anyone feel that he's going to help anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

This really changes my vibe on things. 90-91 and topped at 92.5. 

He didn't miss many bats in his brief time last season either, despite the good numbers.

90-92 is okay for his first start. Feel like he’s a 91-94 guy normally. So just needs to add a tick or two which could easily come as he gets stretched out. 

I'm viewing this like it's an exhibition game for him considering it's his first game back after getting shut down with injury/soreness and only his 3rd to 6th game pitched in about 3 years. Even though I know full well that the Tides are trying to win and the games count.

He has to get ramped up.

• Upvote 1

It is always wise to prepare for the worst case scenario, and I’m sure that Mike has.
(But why not make a spot on the roster for Tehran?)

Until John comes back though, we have to assume that he wont, so, who is next man up?

Is McDermott going to get any starts before the All-Star break? Should he?

”Inquiring minds want to know!”

48 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm viewing this like it's an exhibition game for him considering it's his first game back after getting shut down with injury/soreness and only his 3rd to 6th game pitched in about 3 years. Even though I know full well that the Tides are trying to win and the games count.

He has to get ramped up.

The Orioles call it a strain.

As Kubatko notes, the Orioles are now referring to the injury as a left forearm strain, which only adds to the extreme caution Means and the O’s are taking in slowly ramping up the southpaw’s workload.

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The Orioles call it a strain.

As Kubatko notes, the Orioles are now referring to the injury as a left forearm strain, which only adds to the extreme caution Means and the O’s are taking in slowly ramping up the southpaw’s workload.

That's interesting, they were calling it an elbow issue earlier in the process.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

It is always wise to prepare for the worst case scenario, and I’m sure that Mike has.
(But why not make a spot on the roster for Tehran?)

Until John comes back though, we have to assume that he wont, so, who is next man up?

Is McDermott going to get any starts before the All-Star break? Should he?

”Inquiring minds want to know!”

It's possible they could see McDermott's developmental progess close to the same timeline they viewed Kyle Bradish at the beginning of the 2022 season.

I would take nothing from this.  In fact less than nothing.  All the guys he was pitching against have been playing live baseball for at least a month.

He just threw his first inning of his first game in 8 months. 

Relax.

4 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I would take nothing from this.  In fact less than nothing.  All the guys he was pitching against yhave been playing live baseball for at least a month.

He just threw his first inning of his first game in 8 months. 

Relax.

Also most important thing for now is he feels fine after the outing.

• Upvote 1