John Means 2024

Tony-OH

6 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I wonder if Povich comes up to be the 6th starter in the 6-man rotation plan

I would think they just stick with a 5 man rotation.  If they brought Povich up they might just stick him in the bullpen like they did DL Hall for the season and try to start him next year.  This is about winning now.  

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I wonder if Povich comes up to be the 6th starter in the 6-man rotation plan

The 6 man rotation sucks. You can’t just stick a starter in the pen for spot appearances and expect them to perform well.

26 minutes ago, interloper said:

Hate to see it for John but the silver lining here is definitely that we can just go back to a full bullpen and normal rotation. 

That's probably the best option given the way Hyde manages the bullpen, but I'd rather see a healthy Means as part of that five man rotation.

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Best case scenario sounds like the IL.   Worst case is he’s done for the season.   It’s hard to imagine a 3rd scenario.

Could he get the PRP route.  Would that entail 2 months of recovery?  Looks like the O's will be lucky to get Means back before the All Star break in the best case, imo.

Teams will never give him the hoped for mega bucks.  Even if he was unlikely to ever get much more than a two year deal.  No it seems no team will give him even a real good one year deal.  He will be forced to accept a "prove it deal"

Honestly it might be time to go the Trevor Bauer deal.  Sign him for one year deal and if he is too much distraction you cut him.  No way a team does not sign him if he is not being intentionally black balled.  The Orioles could afford to take the chance being a great team a couple of arms away from winning it all.  

11 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Teams will never give him the hoped for mega bucks.  Even if he was unlikely to ever get much more than a two year deal.  No it seems no team will give him even a real good one year deal.  He will be forced to accept a "prove it deal"

Honestly it might be time to go the Trevor Bauer deal.  Sign him for one year deal and if he is too much distraction you cut him.  No way a team does not sign him if he is not being intentionally black balled.  The Orioles could afford to take the chance being a great team a couple of arms away from winning it all.  

Please please please stop with the Bauer! It's unbelievably tired, and smarter minds than you or I have decided that he's not worth the trouble. That means something. ME knows what he's doing.

• Upvote 3

I'm curious to see if it is immediate IL or downshifting to Irvin's swingman role is possible.

He has been preventing runs early in games, and if it is just stamina he might still be a puzzle piece in the upcoming stretch.

Obviously possible something acute happened on one of the pitches yesterday, if so that might make him a 2025-2026 two year kind of guy like Mahle or Woodruff from this past offseason if somebody really likes him.

Hopefully Means comes back healthier but it’s going to be tough to rely on him going forward. Is another starter now a need? 

Irvin has been great recently but still has an xERA over 4, has mediocre stuff, and doesn’t get many whiffs or K’s. Kremer’s xERA has been around 5 the last 2 years, has mediocre stuff as well, gets a few more K’s but typically gets hit really hard when he does give up contact. They’re both fine right now as the 4/5 in the rotation, but I’m not sure I would feel comfortable with either pitching in the playoffs. And if anything happens with Bradish (or Burnes/GRod), they’re kinda screwed. A starter with an extra year of control wouldn’t be the worst idea to help with the loss of Burnes if/when he leaves as a free agent. 

1 hour ago, LGOrioles said:

Hopefully Means comes back healthier but it’s going to be tough to rely on him going forward. Is another starter now a need? 

Irvin has been great recently but still has an xERA over 4, has mediocre stuff, and doesn’t get many whiffs or K’s. Kremer’s xERA has been around 5 the last 2 years, has mediocre stuff as well, gets a few more K’s but typically gets hit really hard when he does give up contact. They’re both fine right now as the 4/5 in the rotation, but I’m not sure I would feel comfortable with either pitching in the playoffs. And if anything happens with Bradish (or Burnes/GRod), they’re kinda screwed. A starter with an extra year of control wouldn’t be the worst idea to help with the loss of Burnes if/when he leaves as a free agent. 

The talk about Kramer just doesn't make sense to me.  Does he have the occasional klunker, yes.  He is slotted though as a #4 or 5 pitcher in a rotation putting up pretty good stats along the way.  No team has 5 studs and truthfully I would love for someone to find 5 #5's on MLB pitching staffs that would be a consensus better option than Kremer.  He shows up every 5th day, keep you in games and eats innings.  It wasn't that long ago that a Kremer type would be looked at as an ace of an Orioles rotation.

To your point of course I would love to have 5 Burnes types to go into the playoffs so that way you have an ace ready to go in a must win game.  That really isn't realistic though.  Kremer is solid for the role we need him for and truthfully we have way more concerns on our roster than him.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I live in LA and have heard and seen a lot of things from Trevor Bauer that would give me the creeps if we ever even considered signing him. Stong pass.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

The talk about Kramer just doesn't make sense to me.  Does he have the occasional klunker, yes.  He is slotted though as a #4 or 5 pitcher in a rotation putting up pretty good stats along the way.  No team has 5 studs and truthfully I would love for someone to find 5 #5's on MLB pitching staffs that would be a consensus better option than Kremer.  He shows up every 5th day, keep you in games and eats innings.  It wasn't that long ago that a Kremer type would be looked at as an ace of an Orioles rotation.

To your point of course I would love to have 5 Burnes types to go into the playoffs so that way you have an ace ready to go in a must win game.  That really isn't realistic though.  Kremer is solid for the role we need him for and truthfully we have way more concerns on our roster than him.

I think he’s fine in the regular season but if you look around at #4 starters on contending teams like NYY, LAD, PHI, and ATL you get:

LAD: one of Walker Buehler/Bobby Miller/Clayton Kershaw (if healthy)

ATL: Reynaldo Lopez (3.60 xERA, 2.90 FIP) or Max Fried (3.16 xERA, 3.51 FIP)

NYY: Gil, Stroman, or Schmidt

PHI: Turnbull (4.19 xERA, 3.62 FIP) or Sanchez (3.73 xERA, 2.58 FIP)

The only guys I would consider Kremer over are Stroman (who is probably the Yankees 6th best starter when Cole comes back) or Turnbull (very similar career numbers but has been much better this year). Again, he’s fine as a #5 but I would not want him starting another playoff game and if Irvin reverts back to being a 4-4.40 ERA guy, I don’t think we would be thrilled with that either.