Brandon Hyde 2024

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Good job by Hyde to yank Kimbrel. He needs to find the Ubaldo pothole. 

This. I don’t know about the pothole part but props to Hyde for taking the “closer” out when he was clearly struggling 

Edited by RVAOsFan
Additional info
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Any reason why Hyde didn't pinch hit for Mateo on Friday night in the 8th, up 3-0 vs RHO with Cowser available to hit and Urias for defense? I believe there was a similar situation with Kjerstad on the bench vs NYY. Does Hyde just value the defense that much with the lead?

They actually just mentioned last night's decision on the broadcast.

And basically said Hyde rolled with Mateo because he's been playing well.

And he really has been.  I'm probably his biggest supporter on the board so I'm thrilled to see it.

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

He should have just brought Cano out initially.

Stop pitching Kimbrel on back to back days.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

And Cano saved our bacon. I thought maybe he'd use Webb tonight. K&C are definitely down tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think Cano should be our closer and that will allow us to manage Kimbrel's innings and protect him from back to backs. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think Cano should be our closer and that will allow us to manage Kimbrel's innings and protect him from back to backs. 

Kimbrel is being paid $13 million. He needs to get 3 outs when his number is called.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd keep Kimbrel at "closer" but restrict his usage.

And yeah, Cano should be first in line to get those opportunities.  Wells and and perhaps Suarez as well.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

I'd keep Kimbrel at "closer" but restrict his usage.

And yeah, Cano should be first in line to get those opportunities.  Wells and and perhaps Suarez as well.

Cano scares me in that role, too much contact and not enough swing and miss. I think he's great in the 8th.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Malike said:

Cano scares me in that role, too much contact and not enough swing and miss. I think he's great in the 8th.

You lose games in the 8th as easily as the 9th.

Cano is a good pitcher.  He's our best bp piece.

If he scares you in that role, everybody else should scare you more.

11 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think  Hyde is learning how to best use Kimbrel as he goes.   I think he’s going to really have to baby him to get the dominant performances and avoid the scary  ones.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

You lose games in the 8th as easily as the 9th.

Cano is a good pitcher.  He's our best bp piece.

If he scares you in that role, everybody else should scare you more.

Closers typically have swing and miss stuff. When your closer pitches to contact, bad things can and often do happen. Cano had 14 save opportunities when Bautista went down, he had 8 saves.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I think  Hyde is learning how to best use Kimbrel as he goes.   I think he’s going to really have to baby him to get the dominant performances and avoid the scary  ones.

There's not a perfect answer, but avoid back to backs seems to make the most sense.

4 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Kimbrel is being paid $13 million. He needs to get 3 outs when his number is called.

He won't.  He hasn't been a shut down closer for years.  It was a risky signing that worked for a few weeks but the juice is gone.  He was throwing batting practice out there and should not be brought in for save situations any more.  

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

He won't.  He hasn't been a shut down closer for years.  It was a risky signing that worked for a few weeks but the juice is gone.  He was throwing batting practice out there and should not be brought in for save situations any more.  

He's been fine when he's well-rested. The O's need to accept that his usage has to be limited in order to keep him effective.