Brandon Hyde 2024

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agreed on Mayo.  And Smith.  

And yes, it wasn't directed at you...but the hysterics around here are ridiculous when it comes to some things, particularly Hyde.

I don't think Hyde is a bad manager at all.   He is ok and what the Os needed during their suck for #1 period.

But now?  Now that they are good?  He is not the manager to take them to the next level and I have said this for a quite a while now.  Well before what happened yesterday.  He has no instinct for the game.  No feel.  You might as well let a computer manage the team because he manages the same way.  By the book and with no emotion. 

On top of that he has his team playing very poor fundamental baseball.  And I don't care how bad the talent level is, you can always play "the right way".  The Os do not.  That is 100% on coaching.

He's gotta go.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I don't think Hyde is a bad manager at all.   He is ok and what the Os needed during their suck for #1 period.

But now?  Now that they are good?  He is not the manager to take them to the next level and I have said this for a quite a while now.  Well before what happened yesterday.  He has no instinct for the game.  No feel.  You might as well let a computer manage the team because he manages the same way.  By the book and with no emotion. 

Did you watch Sunday’s game when every button he pushed was gold?  No matter what a manager does, hitters gotta hit and pitchers gotta pitch and he only has so many bullets that he can fire.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Did you watch Sunday’s game when every button he pushed was gold?  No matter what a manager does, hitters gotta hit and pitchers gotta pitch and he only has so many bullets that he can fire.

I mean every game by game is an anomaly.  That is why I don't put too much stock into any one game...bad or good.

What I have seen going back to last year is a manager who 100% plays by the book and %s with zero feel for the game.  In other words that means he has no confidence in his OWN decisions.  As long as he plays by the book?  He is blameless.  This is not a one off.  This is a pattern that he manages by. 

Which is no good.  Players see that.  Players hate that.

On top of that he has these Os playing some of the worst fundamental baseball I have ever seen an Os team play.  From D to O to pitching.  It is very very lackadaisical.

The only reason the Os are anywhere near first place is because of their talent level.  Most other teams playing this way would be 20 games out.  Yesterday was just a shining example of how Hyde has been managing this team since day 1.  He could get away with it before because the team was expected to lose.

Not now. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

How can a guy with no instinct or feel manage a team doing this well, have mediocre talent in the pen don’t relatively well as a collective group and see pinch hitters have the success they are.

Saying he has no instinct or feel is an incredibly ignorant comment and moreso, it a complete lack of understanding of how managers throughout the game manage and have managed for years.

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I mean every game by game is an anomaly.  That is why I don't put too much stock into any one game...bad or good.

What I have seen going back to last year is a manager who 100% plays by the book and %s with zero feel for the game.  In other words that means he has no confidence in his OWN decisions.  As long as he plays by the book?  He is blameless.  This is not a one off.  This is a pattern that he manages by. 

Which is no good.  Players see that.  Players hate that.

I’m just going to repeat myself: the O’s have a .370 BA, .935 OPS when pinch hitting.  If that’s due to Hyde managing by the book rather than going by his gut, I’m all for it.  

What do people think is going to happen? He just got extended with Elias for an undetermined amount of years. He's going to the playoffs in back to back years.

It's going to be a long time before he's fired. This is all a waste of breath.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I’ve seen this argument a couple of times, and while it’s true he did make the right calls on Saturday (and Sunday but only 1 PH), he subbed out Slater, Jimenez and Mayo. 

Nobody should be mad at a generic PH decision, but when you take out the two guys that are arguably hitting the best in the lineup it’s a different situation.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How can a guy with no instinct or feel manage a team doing this well, have mediocre talent in the pen don’t relatively well as a collective group and see pinch hitters have the success they are.

Saying he has no instinct or feel is an incredibly ignorant comment and moreso, it a complete lack of understanding of how managers throughout the game manage and have managed for years.

I 100% disagree with your comment.  Could not disagree more.  I think the Os since last year, from starting pitching to the bullpen to hitting, have one of if not perhaps the most talented team in baseball. 

This year I am almost certain that they would have won, or at least been in, the WS if not for the injuries.  

Look around at other teams and please tell me who is more talented than the Os when the Os are at full strength?  I don't believe there are many...if any.

But when I take into consideration the fact that they got swept by the Rangers last year....which was an embarrassment.  And the fact that they are just plain out playing horrible fundamental baseball this year?  And honestly appear pretty listless?  Even with the injuries?

I 100% believe the Os need a change managerial wise to get to the next level.  Again, I could go back and find the articles and the posts from this very board from  a few years ago, but almost no one expected Hyde to be anything but a waypoint for the Os between growing the younglings in the minors and just being able to suck it up while the Os lost 90-100 games a year.  To then being good.

He did that like a champ. 

Taking the Os to the next level?  I do not see that in him.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m just going to repeat myself: the O’s have a .370 BA, .935 OPS when pinch hitting.  If that’s due to Hyde managing by the book rather than going by his gut, I’m all for it.  

Do you actually watch how they take pitches?  Play D?  Hit the cutoff man?  Hold a man on first base?  Even catch a simple pop up?

None of it is good.  AND IT IS LOSING THEM GAMES.

That is on coaching 100%.  I don't know how many of you have played teams sports in your lives....but for those that have you know the difference between a good coach and a bad one and how much of a difference that can make on a teams performance. 

3 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I 100% disagree with your comment.  Could not disagree more.  I think the Os since last year, from starting pitching to the bullpen to hitting, have one of if not perhaps the most talented team in baseball. 

This year I am almost certain that they would have won, or at least been in, the WS if not for the injuries.  

Look around at other teams and please tell me who is more talented than the Os when the Os are at full strength?  I don't believe there are many...if any.

But when I take into consideration the fact that they got swept by the Rangers last year....which was an embarrassment.  And the fact that they are just plain out playing horrible fundamental baseball this year?  And honestly appear pretty listless?  Even with the injuries?

I 100% believe the Os need a change managerial wise to get to the next level.  Again, I could go back and find the articles and the posts from this very board from  a few years ago, but almost no one expected Hyde to be anything but a waypoint for the Os between growing the younglings in the minors and just being able to suck it up while the Os lost 90-100 games a year.  To then being good.

He did that like a champ. 

Taking the Os to the next level?  I do not see that in him.

Managers don’t take teams to the next level, not in baseball.

And you disagreeing with me just reassures me.

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

What do people think is going to happen? He just got extended with Elias for an undetermined amount of years. He's going to the playoffs in back to back years.

It's going to be a long time before he's fired. This is all a waste of breath.

Show me a link that that.  Because I don't believe that is true at all. 

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

That is exactly what I would expect a computer (AI) to say.

Which is all Hyde is.  No feeeeeeeeeeeeeeelzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

He is pointing out facts. 

They don’t pinch hit much and when they do it works.