Brandon Hyde 2024

4 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

McCann had 3 sac bunts last year, 3rd most on the team. So he could bunt last year, but thinking he could do it yesterday is hilarious? 

His bullpen management was fine and you’re right that it’s on the offense, not on him. But again, Perez gave up the winning run today. He had a 9 ERA in September. Is he the guy you want to bring in for the biggest shutdown inning of the season? Most likely not. You probably want Coulombe who only threw 11 pitches. 

And even if you don’t blame him for strategic decisions which is completely fair, I think most would agree he’s a players manager no? They have looked completely lost for 3 months. I don’t think he lost the clubhouse per se, but there’s something wrong there that he couldn’t figure out. That’s his clubhouse. 

These guys are who they are, by and large.  Mounty, big swing and miss guy.  Tony swings a lot, misses a lot.  Chases everything at the letters or higher.  Cowser swings and misses at almost everything.  Adley, I'm hoping this isn't who he is but he's been absolutely awful for months.  All of these guys swing and miss too much and don't walk enough.  

The "players manager" term only gets thrown around for when someone's unhappy with the manager.  It's code for "he's soft on the players."

Find me one fire and brimstone, old school, hardass manager in the game right now.  They don't exist anymore.  They're all "players managers."  

5 minutes ago, capyy said:

that's the only guy that jumps out when I look at off-season free agents. that would be huge. 

This has happened before.  The Diamondbacks did it with Randy Johnson.  The Padres did it with Manny.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

These guys are who they are, by and large.  Mounty, big swing and miss guy.  Tony swings a lot, misses a lot.  Chases everything at the letters or higher.  Cowser swings and misses at almost everything.  Adley, I'm hoping this isn't who he is but he's been absolutely awful for months.  All of these guys swing and miss too much and don't walk enough.  

The "players manager" term only gets thrown around for when someone's unhappy with the manager.  It's code for "he's soft on the players."

Find me one fire and brimstone, old school, hardass manager in the game right now.  They don't exist anymore.  They're all "players managers."  

what about the Milwaukee guy? saw him yell at Devin Williams on the mound not too long ago

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

This has happened before.  The Diamondbacks did it with Randy Johnson.  The Padres did it with Manny.  

just checked the list again. literally the only big name vet hitter I'd want for the team and fits this role... but that means lots of teams are going to be bidding for him.

lets go rubenstein!

8 minutes ago, baltfan said:

There is a guy that fits.  It’s Soto. They will never make the commitment, but they should.  Trade him if the team sucks. He is young enough that you will be able to. 

Soto is no Frank Robinson as far as i am concerned. He has talent, sure, but is not a great outfielder and is a head case. I've said earlier this year, someone is going to pay a lot and regret it. Soto couldn't carry Frank's water bottle.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Soto is no Frank Robinson as far as i am concerned. He has talent, sure, but is not a great outfielder and is a head case. I've said earlier this year, someone is going to pay a lot and regret it. Soto couldn't carry Frank's water bottle.

He is a professional hitter. This team has tons of guys that could learn from him. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree there’s nothing he can do about the poor AB’s. I just don’t see how he can follow up last years sweep by getting swept by a mediocre 86 win team at home. If that’s “good enough” as a standard, the organization’s standards aren’t very high. 

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If Cowser is what he is as a hitter, I think you look to trade him now. I don’t want to go through another Mountcastle career. 

I happen to believe he is going to get better, but just a thought.

Just now, survivedc said:

If Cowser is what he is as a hitter, I think you look to trade him now. I don’t want to go through another Mountcastle career. 

I happen to believe he is going to get better, but just a thought.

I think he'll get better...but I'm not sure by how much.  170+ strikeouts and 50+ walks is tough to stomach.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I agree there’s nothing he can do about the poor AB’s. I just don’t see how he can follow up last years sweep by getting swept by a mediocre 86 win team at home. If that’s “good enough” as a standard, the organization’s standards aren’t very high. 

KC has pitching and defense and that's what wins in the playoffs.  They made two great plays in the field today, their pitching was DPT.  If you're going to judge them by 86 wins, I don't think that's really fair.

I have thought for a while that the earliest they’d replace Hyde is next summer, and only if things went very badly between now and then. 

Well, something just went very badly. He won’t be fired this winter but this result puts him a lot closer to the hot seat. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

KC has pitching and defense and that's what wins in the playoffs.  They made two great plays in the field today, their pitching was DPT.  If you're going to judge them by 86 wins, I don't think that's really fair.

They were below .500 against every team besides CHW. Judging them by 86 wins is being nice. Ragans and Lugo (and the rest of their pitching) are good but you’re probably going to face better 1-2’s than that if you want to win a WS. And they have one good position player (who’s amazing) but very little after that. That’s not a team that the Orioles should lose to or get swept by.