Pittsburgh Pirates 2024 (and Paul Skenes watch)

Frobby

The Pirates are off to a nice 8-2 start, including beating the O’s 2 of 3 this weekend.  Could they be poised for a leap this year?   I can’t say their lineup scares me, but I kind of liked their arms.   And, O’Neil Cruz looks like he may be poised for a big season.   

The big entertainment, however, is the Paul Skenes Watch Party.   So far, 6 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 11 K’s down in Indianapolis.  I went back to check the date of Steven Strasburg’s call-up the year after he was drafted: June 8.  Will Skenes beat that?  Wouldn’t surprise me.  

6 hours ago, SteveA said:

A Pirate fan friend of mind says he thinks it will be right after the Super 2 deadline.

Which doesn’t exist.   It’s guesswork, mid-May to mid-June.  

They'll still probably cycle Bailey Falter and Marco Gonzales in if we see them again in the World Series.

Strasburg would have had those 11 K in 6 innings in one game, but it being a half generation later I'll bet without looking that is two outings.

• 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Few million in the bank, taking a nap after banging Livvy Dunne and waking up to find out you’re called up to the majors. What a life that’s gotta be. 

And having some of the best stuff in the majors before even pitching a game. Enjoy the moment. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Few million in the bank, taking a nap after banging Livvy Dunne and waking up to find out you’re called up to the majors. What a life that’s gotta be. 

She is unreal.

• Upvote 1

Pirates hometown announcers mentioned a splinker part of the Inning #1 arsenal.     I've mostly only heard that pitch moniker for Jhoan Duran.

Jhoan Duran capable of a SP workload maybe not the worst initial framework as Skenes get going.

Skenes and Jared Jones would be scary in a short series if there's anything left in the tank late.

Just now, Just Regular said:

Pirates hometown announcers mentioned a splinker part of the Inning #1 arsenal.     I've mostly only heard that pitch moniker for Jhoan Duran.

Jhoan Duran capable of a SP workload maybe not the worst initial framework as Skenes get going.

Skenes and Jared Jones would be scary in a short series if there's anything left in the tank late.

Jhoan Duran, wasn't he the Doctor in Barbarella?

Decent first outing for Skenes.  He allowed two runners to reach in the fifth, and they both scored when the reliever hit a batter and then issued to walks.  The walkfest actually continued after that, but the first two forced in the runs charged to Skenes.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Decent first outing for Skenes.  He allowed two runners to reach in the fifth, and they both scored when the reliever hit a batter and then issued to walks.  The walkfest actually continued after that, but the first two forced in the runs charged to Skenes.  

6 bases loaded walks after Skenes left, including 4 in a row.