If you were GM, what would you do about the AAA depth?

casadeozo

Just now, Jim'sKid26 said:

The direct quote is " We have 4x guys in AAA ready to be promoted... " you can interpret that as you see fit.

He's saying you can make the argument to promote any one of these guys, and he's right. I don't see anywhere where he's clamoring to promote them all at once - which is why the premise of the OP is "what would you do" not "here's what I would do". 

37 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I Can see a 5th infielder role. I'm not saying it will or should happen but Westburg could move around infield giving guys a day off or having them DH from time to time. Perhaps he could even play OF against tough LHP. He could get around 400 ABs that way. 

Here's the problem with the "floating DH" situation as I can see it. With the presence of Mayo, Kjerstad, and Basallo (none really being great glove guys) and with Henderson, Holliday, (and maybe) Westburg being at least 140-150+ game per season players, someone will have to occupy the DH role on a more permanent basis (especially if we are playing to keep most of our young players/prospects).

If Westburg's defense is better than Mayo (and by all indications it appears to be) AND Westburg is the kind of hitter that he's been this season so far, why would we want the worse defender to occupy 3B?

Wouldn't it make more sense for Mayo to be the primary DH? And then against those "tough lefties" (which are few and far between) you could rest Holliday or Henderson by moving guys around (on those very rare occasions).

I just don't think that as Henderson and Holliday ascend into superstardom, they are going to be okay with rotating positions regular or giving up consistent playing time ABs. There are many Mookie Betts types in the sport. And I would argue, the only reason he is so willing to switch positions is because A) He is so good at them. and 1A) He has already gotten paid.

These guys are going to want their numbers, all-star appearances, etc. And we are going to want guys like Gunnar and Jackson to get consistent reps against LHP so that they can become matchup resistant.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's saying you can make the argument to promote any one of these guys, and he's right. I don't see anywhere where he's clamoring to promote them all at once - which is why the premise of the OP is "what would you do" not "here's what I would do". 

I would prefer not to argue semantics with you. Can we agree to disagree?

21 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Absolutely nothing. 

The initial assumption of the OP is that there are 4 players ready to be promoted. I disagree. 

1) Judging a player by his offensive stat line alone makes for poor decisions.

2) This completely underestimates the challenges of transitioning from AAA to MLB. (nearly every one of the blue chip players that the O's have promoted in the last 2-3 years have struggled in their initial promotion to the MLB)

3) This completely underestimates to skill, experience and defensive prowess of the current players on the O's MLB roster.

4) Holiday is currently making the transition now, as the #1 prospect in baseball, and has struggled. Having one prospect at a time struggle in transition allows for a competitive team at the MLB level. Having 4 prospects struggle all at once could be a disaster.

THIS!!! ALL OF THIS!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, vab said:

I don't think you'll see these prospects shoe-horned onto the roster just because they're too good for triple-A. The thing to do is either trade them or trade someone currently on the roster to free up a spot. Of course, you need a partner for a trade and nobody's ready to pack it in three weeks into the season but we'll get there. Seattle, Miami and Cleveland look like potential trade partners for pitching help. 

I wonder if a trade match could be found with SEA at some point heading toward the deadline? They need offense and have an abundance of SP talent. We need SP and have an abundance of position player talent?

I wonder if we could get any of their young controllable starters for say one of Mayo/Kjerstad and one of Stowers/Norby?

Just now, Aristotelian said:

How about Stowers for Alcantara and his contract? 

Alcantara's contract is VERY team friendly. 

Besides, Alcantara is out for the season after getting TJ surgery. How would having him help us this year? And why would MIA be interested in selling so low on him? Why wouldn't they allow him to get back and begin rebuilding his volume? Why would we want to acquire an injured player? What if he is never the same? Why risk it when you can just get an actual healthy pitcher who can help you?

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Besides, Alcantara is out for the season after getting TJ surgery. How would having him help us this year? And why would MIA be interested in selling so low on him? Why wouldn't they allow him to get back and begin rebuilding his volume? Why would we want to acquire an injured player? What if he is never the same? Why risk it when you can just get an actual healthy pitcher who can help you?

Because we will be without Means and Burnes next year and it makes a lot of sense to think about how we're going to fill SP holes next year. And Stowers is a guy you don't really need at all this year, so yeah, I really like the idea in theory. 

The caveat being, if there's a Stowers trade to be made that helps the team this year, then sure, you prioritize that. But there is a SP problem on the horizon in 2025 that shouldn't be ignored. 

25 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Here's the problem with the "floating DH" situation as I can see it. With the presence of Mayo, Kjerstad, and Basallo (none really being great glove guys) and with Henderson, Holliday, (and maybe) Westburg being at least 140-150+ game per season players, someone will have to occupy the DH role on a more permanent basis (especially if we are playing to keep most of our young players/prospects).

If Westburg's defense is better than Mayo (and by all indications it appears to be) AND Westburg is the kind of hitter that he's been this season so far, why would we want the worse defender to occupy 3B?

Wouldn't it make more sense for Mayo to be the primary DH? And then against those "tough lefties" (which are few and far between) you could rest Holliday or Henderson by moving guys around (on those very rare occasions).

I just don't think that as Henderson and Holliday ascend into superstardom, they are going to be okay with rotating positions regular or giving up consistent playing time ABs. There are many Mookie Betts types in the sport. And I would argue, the only reason he is so willing to switch positions is because A) He is so good at them. and 1A) He has already gotten paid.

These guys are going to want their numbers, all-star appearances, etc. And we are going to want guys like Gunnar and Jackson to get consistent reps against LHP so that they can become matchup resistant.

Like I said, 'm not saying it will or should happen. Just that it could and it would be a way to get ABs for guys. I don't the Basallo enters into the conversation until late next year. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Because we will be without Means and Burnes next year and it makes a lot of sense to think about how we're going to fill SP holes next year. And Stowers is a guy you don't really need at all this year, so yeah, I really like the idea in theory. 

The caveat being, if there's a Stowers trade to be made that helps the team this year, then sure, you prioritize that. But there is a SP problem on the horizon in 2025 that shouldn't be ignored. 

We may need help this year as the return of an effective Means and Bradish is far from a given. Also, it is no given that Alcantara will return next season and be as effective.

If we are not planning on resigning Burnes, then we will most likely need to sign an FA SP in his place. With a payroll that is this low where in effect we are paying no, FA should not be viewed/treated as the 'black plague of death'. We can actually use FA or extend Burnes without taking very risky chances on an injured pitcher.

I get that 2025 could be a problem. But I think that the wiser course of action is to focus on 24' while in 24' and then 25' once we get there.

12 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It wouldn't help this year. I don't know why that is a requirement. Alcantara has negative trade value right now so Marlina might bite. Could end up being a complete waste of Stowers and two years of salary if Sandy sucks when he comes back, but the upside would be another Ace next year at practically no cost.

1 minute ago, MCO'sFan said:

Like I said, 'm not saying it will or should happen. Just that it could and it would be a way to get ABs for guys. I don't the Basallo enters into the conversation until late next year. 

Basallo is ALREADY in AA as a top 15ish prospect in MLB. It is very unlikely he stays there for the full season (unless he does not perform). More likely, he will be promoted to AAA sometime after the futures game. That will give him about a half of a season at AAA going into to 25'. I don't see that likely as him spending most of the following season at the same level. By then he will be what a top 5 prospect (maybe # 1) by then. 

It's unlikely a top 5ish (especially #1) prospect spends most of the season at one level, especially when they ended the previous season there. 

IMO, if Basallo, is not up until late next season, something went wrong (injury/performance).