If you were GM, what would you do about the AAA depth?

casadeozo

Just now, Aristotelian said:

It wouldn't help this year. I don't know why that is a requirement. Alcantara has negative trade value right now so Marlina might bite. Could end up being a complete waste of Stowers and two years of salary if Sandy sucks when he comes back, but the upside would be another Ace next year at practically no cost.

MIA might bite? Really? Why would they trade a prime asset at his lowest value? What sense does that make for them?

I get that many of us think that we have a very smart/talented Front office. But that doesn't mean that other teams are totally incompetent and run by idiots.

Also, how does that acquisition help us this year? Seems like we need a plan to solve THIS SEASON'S SP problem before worrying about next year? Does that make sense or no?

12 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

MIA might bite? Really? Why would they trade a prime asset at his lowest value? What sense does that make for them?

I get that many of us think that we have a very smart/talented Front office. But that doesn't mean that other teams are totally incompetent and run by idiots.

Also, how does that acquisition help us this year? Seems like we need a plan to solve THIS SEASON'S SP problem before worrying about next year? Does that make sense or no?

Lol, this admittedly not a super well thought out trade proposal. I definitely do not think it will actually happen. However, the risk for the Marlins is getting stuck with Sandy's salary without getting anything back should he turn out to be damaged goods. His value absolutely could get even lower.

I do think we should be open to a variety of deals that could help us short term or long term. I'd be open to Stowers for five 16 year old international kids if we thought they could help us. That wouldn't preclude us from doing other deals to help in the short term

Tanner Scott is interesting but will cost a lot more than Alcantara.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m not writing Hays off yet. O’Hearn also agreed to give us a $3 million option for next season. Santa will be gone. The big decision will be Mullins.  I see the replacements lining up like this…

It looks like O'Hearn's club option for next year is more like double.  

With pinch hitting he is at 12 out of 15 so far, on pace for that 120 games incentive:

Ryan O’Hearn 1b-of
1 year/$3.5M (2024), plus 2025 option

• 1 year/$3.5M (2024), plus 2025 club option

• re-signed by Baltimore 2/14/24 (avoided arbitration, $3.8M-$3.2M)
    • 24:$3.5M, 25:$7.5M club option
    • 2025 option increases $500,000 each for 120, 150 games in 2024
SH
Edited by Just Regular

1 hour ago, interloper said:

He's saying you can make the argument to promote any one of these guys, and he's right. I don't see anywhere where he's clamoring to promote them all at once - which is why the premise of the OP is "what would you do" not "here's what I would do". 

This is exactly what I was saying

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gretzkyscores said:

I wish we had a couple of pitchers who are "ready to be promoted" !!!

Does Means count? :)

Povich is making some noise. He's got to keep it up for awhile longer, but he looks good so far. 1.10 ERA through 3 starts. 

How about a path to the majors for each of the 4 potential promotees:

Norby: Priority for his call up because 1) service time is not an issue at his age, 2) He's RHB and the Orioles need more balance that way, 3) He's proven at AAA as a hitter, 4) he has flexibility to play multiple spots (probably all at a sub-par level), and 5) I think they'd do the least damage by sticking him in a platoon role where he plays twice a week and otherwise just PHs.  I'd call up Norby if Hays is hurt or if the club decides Hays needs time at AAA to work out his problems when the parent club can't afford to bench a better hitter.

Kjerstad: Recalled in case of an injury to Cowser, Santander, O'Hearn, or Mullins in which case he'd move into a DH/RF role.  He would be in the show for the majority of other MLB teams, but not here.  Next year, he must start the season with the team and I expect no QO for Santander to make room.  O'Hearn will probably still be in Baltimore with the club option unless he regresses as a hitter, but plate discipline had improved YoY, so I expect him to stay.  Mullins will be 30 and in his final Arb year in 2025 which probably means he has little trade value, but if injuries around the league in CF generate value for him, the Orioles should probably be willing to sell at the deadline, even if he's still hitting like he is now.

Stowers:  Recalled in case of an injury to 2 of Cowser, Santander, O'Hearn, Mullins.  It's a long shot, but I don't see another way.  Making his situation more dire is the imbalance of LH bats producing in the lineup.  I expect they'll trade him by the end of this season if a spot does not develop.

Mayo:  I think he waits until 2025, but the way he gets to the show this season is an injury to Mountcastle.  I don't see another path and the Orioles would certainly need his bat if Mounty went down.  Service time and development are both a concern for Mayo right now and he (like many others) needs to cut his K rat and play better defense.