Wednesday afternoon April 17: Orioles go for sweep of Twins

SteveA

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think I heard the first reference ever to the word "parallelogram" by a baseball broadcast...

Well I'm at work and not able to watch.

But I'm guessing it wasn't Ben.... 🙂

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Just now, Spy Fox said:

Mountcastle maybe could/should have scored there. He slowed up for a moment around 2b. 

what?  the ball bounced right to the CF, and he was on first.  He would have been dead meat at the plate.

Just now, EddeeEddee said:

Is this free or are you guys subscribers at all?  I can't find this feature yet.

On the phone and iPad the 3D icon was in the upper right of the action after you click on Gameday from the game feed screen  IMG_4517.thumb.png.f7d55893cd3b63374449d4992e95fa52.png

I just logged in with my MLB account. Don’t know if that means it taps into my MLB.Tv subscription or not.

It did take a while to find it. Here’s a phone screenshot. 

5 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think I heard the first reference ever to the word "parallelogram" by a baseball broadcast...

I think Euclid may have used it when he was doing play-by-play for the Alexandria Asps in the Greek Empire League.

2 minutes ago, justD said:

On the phone and iPad the 3D icon was in the upper right of the action after you click on Gameday from the game feed screen  IMG_4517.thumb.png.f7d55893cd3b63374449d4992e95fa52.png

I just logged in with my MLB account. Don’t know if that means it taps into my MLB.Tv subscription or not.

It did take a while to find it. Here’s a phone screenshot. 

I think you have to be a subscriber because I'm not seeing the 3D icon.  I might get a subscription in a month or two but not quite yet.  Thanks to you and Tony for the info!

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Wow, now I just noticed you can just click on the cmaera in the lower right and pick camea angles like strikezone, pitcher batter, fan control, or action.

Yes, I found that too! I thought Fan Control might get me to be able to display whatever view I want without the right click but it didn’t retain my view choice when I let go.

8 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I mentioned that I had heard he was sick and wondered if he lost a lot of strength cause even balls he was hitting hard weren’t traveling at all. Hope he gets back to where he was. 

Makes you wonder why they didn't IL him.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Hopefully, if they have to trade Gunnar it's with a year and a half of control instead of a rental to maximize the return.
    • Gunnar would be the main one at this point. It's going to take the Witt contract plus, but he's the kind of player that you can build around on a 10 year deal.   There's a plenty of other options but I'd rather start with him. If he's not interested then you move on...all depending on what ownership will go for as well.
    • Just look at the Braves. Stuck with all those players and in 2nd place.
    • In a traditional/historical sense, Gunnar would more likely reside in the 3, 4 or 5 spots in the lineup. But this new-age baseball that we have seen evolve over the last few years does seem to place more of a priority on getting your best hitters the most ABs. As others have mentioned, look at Soto in his career, look at Ohtani, etc. But what hasn't been mentioned (that I've seen, maybe I missed it) is that this new era of baseball also shows us that a sub .200 hitter can be successful in the leadoff spot when they mash like Schwarber does for the Phils. I think it's just as likely that Hyder keeps penciling in Gunnar in the top spot because Gunnar feels comfortable there but also because of his ability to set the table for the rest of the lineup to start the game. That is really what the leadoff guy's job is to do. He's lead off with a homer what, five times this year? That's five games where the O's were on the board just one batter into their turn to hit. For a younger lineup like the O's have now, I think it's extremely important that they use whatever advantage they think they have as early in the game as possible. We've seen them struggle to score runs early in a lot of the games this year. They don't ever seem to lay down but battling from behind is not the ideal position to be, especially at the frequency that has been so far this year. I suspect that increased pressure may eventually catch up with them. So, yeah, if Gunnar is their best power hitter but also gives the team the best opportunity to score early, I'm fine with him hitting first in the order even if it means fewer guys on base when he's at the plate.   
    • Hell my Golden Retriever could call a better game than last night. Trouble is, you'd have a lot of spit balls! 
    • I think Kyle Gibson has it right: The more I hear about the robot umps, the less I like the idea but I think technology should be used and replay would be good.  Should be very easy and very fast…ala tennis.
    • There is something to what Roy says. Overall in MLB this year: vs a starter 1st time through the order, all MLB teams OPS .694 vs a starter 2nd time through the order, all MLB teams OPS .694 vs a starter 3rd time through the order, all MLB teams OPS .755 [4th time and beyond, only 114 plate appearances in all of MLB this year:  .725] So it is expected that you will do your best work the 3rd time through the order vs a starter, and will be a bit worse off the first time through. The Orioles on the season (keep in mind we are a way better than average offense so our overall #s should in general be better than the MLB average): 1st time:  .658 OPS  2nd time:  .817 OPS 3rd time:  .816 OPS 4th+ (7 plate appearances): 1.572 OPS So we are a very slow starting team, so far this year.   We have a well above average offense that is actually significantly below average the first time through the order vs a starter. I don't know why this is... but so far it has been the case.   I'll not that before the Seattle series the numbers were even more extreme, we OPSed just .615 1TTTO when I looked it up last week.   Maybe with time this will even out, but the point is, Roy isn't imagining things.   At the start of the game, we are a below average MLB offense this year and as the game progresses we get way above average.  
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now