4/21 @ Royals

Morgan423

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He was really good at going oppo in the minors too. Seems like he's trying to pull everything and is now guessing at the plate. 

It seems to me that if things are going as badly as they are for Holliday, against a left-hander you might look for an outside pitch to hit to LF. I don't think he's tried that.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Right now he's not catching up to anything hard so I can see what he's cheating and guessing at this point. Right now he's in shock mode. He's getting into an embarrassing historically bad start to a major league career. It's sad to see. 

He's just not ready. There is no redeeming fact to his offensive game right now. I was saying give him to May 1st, but he might set a futility record if they do that.

It is absolutely notable how few balls he fouls off. Cowser is the only comp I can think of in terms of level of struggle early. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

C'mon now. He's hit a few balls hard at people for sure, but he has a .127 xWOBA, a 86.6 EV, and a .092 XBA. He's been just bad, not unlucky.

I don’t think anybody can argue that he has not been good at all. 

My issue is with some of the hyperbolic reactions to a 20 year old kid struggling to make the jump. If he has to go back to AAA will it be the end of the world?

Grayson had to go back to AAA for a stint and so did Cowser and I think that turned out okay for both. That is not to say that you are wrong in saying he may not be ready right now.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t think anybody can argue that he has not been good at all. 

My issue is with some of the hyperbolic reactions to a 20 year old kid struggling to make the jump. If he has to go back to AAA will it be the end of the world?

Grayson had to go back to AAA for a stint and so did Cowser and I think that turned out okay for both. That is not to say that you are wrong in saying he may not be ready right now.

I haven’t seen anyone saying he is going to be a bust. There are a lot saying he isn’t ready and will need to make adjustments. How is that not a reasonable take?

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Didn’t claim he’d been entirely unlucky. 

You are acting though like everyone is overreacting when we're showing you that every data point shows that he's not hitting well. His whiff rate is through the roof, he's not having productive at bats, and he's rarely driving the ball.