A's - Mason Miller

Yossarian

Who is Mason Miller?  I saw he closed out the Yankees in the 9th today (04/22).  He struck out Volpe, Soto, and Judge in order and was hitting 102 mph on the gun.  6'5" right-hander out of Gardner Webb.  ERA well below 2 and a WHIP of 1.00.

Pretty impressive stuff.

Came up last year as a fairly highly touted starting pitching prospect.   Had 3 or 4 very effective starts, then strained his U CL.  Opted out of TJ surgery (similar to Bradish).    Came off the IL late in the year.  They decided to bring him back as a short reliever in hopes of there being less strain on his UCL, and this year he won the closer job in camp.

17 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Came up last year as a fairly highly touted starting pitching prospect.   Had 3 or 4 very effective starts, then strained his U CL.  Opted out of TJ surgery (similar to Bradish).    Came off the IL late in the year.  They decided to bring him back as a short reliever in hopes of there being less strain on his UCL, and this year he won the closer job in camp.

Thanks.  

So does he have a starter's full complement of pitches?  Or just that 102 mph heater?  That's interesting to see him throwing at that velocity after a UCL strain.  I'll have to watch and see if he makes it through the year without further damage. 

5 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Thanks.  

So does he have a starter's full complement of pitches?  Or just that 102 mph heater?  That's interesting to see him throwing at that velocity after a UCL strain.  I'll have to watch and see if he makes it through the year without further damage. 

From what I can tell he has the great fastball and a slider that gets a ton of swing and misses.   Don't know about anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2024 at 12:45 PM, Yossarian said:

Who is Mason Miller?  I saw he closed out the Yankees in the 9th today (04/22).  He struck out Volpe, Soto, and Judge in order and was hitting 102 mph on the gun.  6'5" right-hander out of Gardner Webb.  ERA well below 2 and a WHIP of 1.00.

Pretty impressive stuff.

I guess it's only fair that I now ask:

Who is Jacob Webb?  He struck out Soto, Judge, and Stanton to close out a 4-out save against the heart of the NYY lineup and preserve a two run victory. .