3/9 O's v. Mets

mallison

Started this thread a little early so that everyone can be reminded that this game will be on MLB Network today at 1pm (est).

Orioles Lineup

Ryan Freel - 2B

Adam Jones - CF

Lou Montanez - RF

Ty Wigginton - 3B

Oscar Salazar - DH

Chris Gomez - 1B

Felix Pie - LF

Gregg Zaun - C

Jolbert Cabrera - SS

Koji Uehara - P

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So will the Orioles ever let Matt Wieters catch again this Winter? It seems like they are doing all they can to make sure he's not ready for opening day.

He doesn't have anything left to prove in the minors. Don't let the business side get in the way of the baseball side.

So will the Orioles ever let Matt Wieters catch again this Winter? It seems like they are doing all they can to make sure he's not ready for opening day.

He doesn't have anything left to prove in the minors. Don't let the business side get in the way of the baseball side.

Uehara is pitching today, so most likely Zaun has been tabbed as his personal catcher. Wieters will probably come in after Uehara is done pitching.

I thought about it...but I don't need to be spending the money right now.

I basically just did it cause I only need it for 2 months, then I'll be back at home and have no need for it anymore and cancel it. I'm excited to actually see my first game of spring training finally.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Gibson signed very early in the offseason and was never really a true option of being brought back by Elias and co. If you want to go with someone they could have actually signed for depth then Michael Lorenzen would of made sense as a swingman as he had to wait forever to finally get a deal and it was a bargain for Texas at 4mill. Even then, would he have been fine signing here as a non guaranteed starter; hard to say but don’t think there was any attempt on the O’s to do so.
    • The Britton trade allowed the Yankees to trade some guys that would have been subjected to the 40 man crunch (Tate for example).
    • You can get Pit/PA here. Scroll down to the Team Pitches Batting section and sort by Pit/PA. Lots of good stuff on that page.
    • It will be interesting to see if a small July trade occurs in the style of the Rays or Dodgers with stuffed 40-man rosters. Michael Busch and Bryan Hudson having been guys the Dodgers moved along last winter for off 40 man types is a level  no one else is at, but if Orioles PD success rate stays high they may get closer than most of the other 29 clubs.    How many real keepers are on Delmarva right now?     How many of McDermott, Young, Johnson, Bright, De Leon, Baumeister, Forret, etc. become full time Orioles?
    • It’s a good trade deadline question. It’s not super common, but looking ahead at 40-man roster crunch does affect the prospects who become available for teams with really deep 40-man rosters and strong upper level minors systems. For example, it almost certainly played a role in the Rays trading Seth Johnson. More recently, the Dodgers had some 40-man crunch this off-season and that motivated a handful of trades.  However, I don’t think the Orioles are to that point. They still have enough 40-man space for the prospects who will clearly need to be added.
    • Correct.  I was never a big Mountcastle guy but I didn’t, to the best of my knowledge, say he wouldn’t make it, just that he wouldn’t be an 800-900 OPS type of guy.  Mountcastle’s hit tool (.293 minor league avg) has allowed him to overcome his chase tendencies.  Stowers (.263 minor league avg), I don’t believe, has as good a hit tool.  He’s going to have to hit 25+ homers, minimum, to be a .780 hitter.   He’s capable of it.  I’m just not as confident about it as you are.  I think he’s looked good both ways.  
    • Interesting.. I wonder if he could improve a bit by switching to a more aggressive approach, similar to the evolution Gunnar made last year. 
  • Popular Contributors