Sunday, April 28: A's vs Orioles

SteveA

Just now, Brooks The Great said:

Tony I hope you can see how terrible of a manager Hyde is. I've been saying it since 2022.

He's made 3 of the worst decisions a manager can possibly make today:

1. Pinch hit your #3 hitter with one of the worst hitters in baseball - should have been an error on the catcher. McKenna contact was garbage and lucky.

2. Leave in a clearly injured pitcher to give up the lead and lose the game.

3. Refuse to pinch hit Mateo - one of the worst hitters in baseball -  in the 9th when you have 2 studs on the bench.

Hyde is an awful manager and this team wins despite his incompetence.

1- McKenna was coming in for defense over O’Hearn anyway. 
2-That’s oh Kimbrel as much as anyone. He can’t tell Kimbrel he is hurt. 
3-Need to see whether Westburg was available. 

2 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

What guarantee is there that he returns at all? He may never pitch at the ML level again. Some just never recover from an injury like that. Or he may not return until 2026 or 2027, pissing away half his career re-injuring himself over and over in the minors. It's very typical these days. All this medical technology, all these stats, and we have essentially zero ability to keep guys healthy. It's incredible.

Guys never threw 103-mph balls either. Medical technology has its limits.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Maybe Hyde was worried about having to go into extras with no bullpen left and a big Yamkees series coming up.

That is possible, but also it’s on Hyde burning out this bullpen one month into the season. Elias needs to start working the phones trying see if any pitchers are available. If Bradish and Means return to the starting rotation that will help, but Hyde needs to rely on someone besides Kimbrel to close out game. 

Just now, ArtVanDelay said:

I don’t want to hear people talk about how “our bullpen has actually been good” anymore after seeing what the poverty A’s are throwing out there.

Elias got away with scrap heap guys but made the cardinal sin of expecting those guys to be good two years in a row.

Meanwhile the A's doing a great job of acquiring impact arms at the back end of their bullpen.

Look at the system right now, who are their future backend guys?

The Orioles tried to replace  Bautista with Kimbrel only then Hyde rode him like a 22 year old. 

Hyde broke Bautista and now he broke Kimbrel by using 86 different pitchers a game and using Kimbrel like 5 times in 8 days.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

It’s his fault he decided Westburg wasn’t playing well enough to start over Urias, day off or not.

its his fault he didn’t pinch hit effectively.

its his fault his bullpen usage is awful.

Its NOT his fault his bullpen isn’t very good, but everything else, yeah, is on him.

Hes fat. But he’s not good.

Was Westburg available? We don’t know that. I listened to most on radio today, was he in the dugout? 

Bullpen usage was fine. Once again what should he have done different? If he knew Kimbrel wasn’t right he leaves Webb in longer. 

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I think it’s an abdominal or back. 

He was hurt before.  Look at the game thread two days ago.  I think I mentioned I think he was hurt.  I think he knew he was hurt but was trying to be a hero or some crap and just vomited all over the freaking mound.   Well now at least Elias cant fake it.   We need some help in the pen and we needed it yesterday.  

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Oh well, this series loss is on Elias.

He went to war with this blow pen. Hoards offensive prospects and then wonders why his team loses leafs like it's their job.

Totally disagree.  If Kimbrel does his job no one is talking about Hyde or anyone else.  Now if the team suspected Kimbrel might be hurt, that changes things a bit, though I doubt that's the case.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He’s been used in something like 4 of the last 6 games. 

So has everyone else.  He goes through relievers like I would go through golf balls playing Augusta.

We should go get Trevor Bauer for league minimum and throw him in the bullpen.  I dont care how many women want to get punched in the head by him.   Consenting adults and crap.  Just win baby.  

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

Totally disagree.  If Kimbrel does his job no one is talking about Hyde or anyone else.  Now if the team suspected Kimbrel might be hurt, that changes things a bit, though I doubt that's the case.

Dude I suspected he was hurt.  It cant have just gone over Hyde and Elias's head that he might be hurt.

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

1- McKenna was coming in for defense over O’Hearn anyway. 
2-That’s oh Kimbrel as much as anyone. He can’t tell Kimbrel he is hurt. 
3-Need to see whether Westburg was available. 

Just like to say the Orioles are 0-2 when McKenna plays this year. 

Why would you take out O'Hearn and bat McKenna in a close game when your pen is terrible? Hyde will have to answer that one. Of course the press will lob softballs at their buddy so no accountability.

• Upvote 1