Sunday, April 28: A's vs Orioles

SteveA

40 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Again, I didn't say it HAD to be a trade.  That said, that certainly COULD have been the way to do so, especially when we have Stowers and Norby who are never going to play for the Os.  Not to mention the other depth we have, if needed.  But we also could have opened the checkbook a bit and signed some of the decent middle relief type pitchers who were available instead of just standing pat on the Webbs of the world and picking up the scraps from other teams.  Or sign another starter and keep Irvin/Wells/whoever in the bullpen.  But we didn't, and we are paying for it now.  

How would a middle reliever have helped today? 

Perez is out. Two starters are out. You don’t win the World Series in April. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Okay, so it doesn’t seem bad to you but he blew one Friday, blew one today and his arm hurts. 

What do the results tell you?

Oh, in hindsight it was definitely the wrong decision. Also even in the moment I thought he should have been out of the game after the first sign of injury (although I'd like to hear his and Hyde's explanation). I was just questioning why it should have been obvious beforehand that he needed rest after just getting a day off.

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Suarez should have come out for the 5th. Not sure why they pulled him other than they hope to use him as a reliever in the Yankees series.

At 57 pitches, Akin is out for at least two games, maybe three. Any more and it would definitely had been three games meaning he would have missed 3 of 4 against the Yankees. 

Suarez's short start put the team in a bind. Coulombe giving up a homer on two strikes to Nevin was a terrible pitch. Kimbrel had nothing once again. Is there no one watching him in the bullpen? 

Now he looks hurt, but honestly it might just be his feelings that got hurt after blowing two games in a three game stint to the A's.

But it's not his fault. He's been incredible overused for a 36-year old.

To be honest, I don’t have any problem with pulling Suarez after four, but don’t you think Akin could have thrown another 15 pitches or so?

After all, he was out for almost the whole series anyway after 57, there’s no reason not to let him throw another inning to save the other arms, or is your best thought that he couldn’t have realistically thrown more?

41 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Okay, so it doesn’t seem bad to you but he blew one Friday, blew one today and his arm hurts. 

What do the results tell you?

Upper back, not arm they are saying. But I agree with you.