Draft Targets 2 Months Out

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

The re-class thing seems to almost be the norm now.  Mix in new scholarship/NIL rules coming next year and it will be one an even more popular option.  It’s about to get crazy.  College programs offering 6 & 7 year figures for 4 year commitments.  We are entering the wild Wild West.  

But wait, there’s more. NIL is coming to high schools too. It is insane!

5 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

But wait, there’s more. NIL is coming to high schools too. It is insane!

It’s going to be interesting.  People I’ve talked to think that HS baseball will disappear.  At least for the elite players whose goal is to play after HS. 

8 hours ago, emmett16 said:

The re-class thing seems to almost be the norm now.  Mix in new scholarship/NIL rules coming next year and it will be an even more popular option.  It’s about to get crazy.  College programs offering 6 & 7 year figures for 4 year commitments.  We are entering the wild Wild West.  

I think this year there are more players reclassifying due to “weak” draft. The “experts” do not really love this class after first 10-15 picks. What is the leverage of the reclassified players? I would imagine they may have less leverage in negotiations.

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

It’s going to be interesting.  People I’ve talked to think that HS baseball will disappear.  At least for the elite players whose goal is to play after HS. 

It will eventually, I think, unless they up what they pay a hs coach. A $2,000 stipend (here in Florida) is not going to get good coaches to work at most high schools. We already see the impact. 

Putting up with parents, making practice plans, and gathering a worthy staff is tough enough. Recruiting already happens, and has for years, but it is about to get stupid.

Trying to find a high school coach that will actually help your player develop is quite a challenge. Many schools around here had 120 kids show up for baseball tryouts 20 years ago. Now, if you get 40, that is a lot. Sad.

22 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I think this year there are more players reclassifying due to “weak” draft. The “experts” do not really love this class after first 10-15 picks. What is the leverage of the reclassified players? I would imagine they may have less leverage in negotiations.

Are you talking about kids who change and get drafted a year earlier? If so, depends on the kid. Cam Collier made it work for him. He had a commitment to play at a JUCO. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

It’s not about the kids having leverage for the MLB draft.  I’m talking about kids going into 6th & 9th grade with aspirations of playing D1 baseball. The 11.7 scholarship and unpaid amateur (collegiate) baseball is about to be a thing of the past.  Kids are reclassing so that they are more of a bigger, stronger, faster finished product for D1 schools.  The transfer portal has made a huge impact.  Baseball academies have made a big impact.  Getting a spot to play on college has never been harder.  The better players will get a full ride AND get paid handsomely.  There are going to be a lot more lucrative options for all young players through other channels that weren’t available in the past.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

On 6/2/2024 at 11:43 PM, OsFanInOhio said:

Comp a. Like Gunnar, and beavers…

Gunnar was a second rounder. The O's picked in Comp Round B in 2019 (Kyle Stowers was the pick).

Norby was also a second rounder, so they have already had 3 second rounders drafted in 2019 or later reach the Majors. 

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Gunnar was a second rounder. The O's picked in Comp Round B in 2019 (Kyle Stowers was the pick).

Norby was also a second rounder, so they have already had 3 second rounders drafted in 2019 or later reach the Majors. 

My bad on Gunnar. Good catch. 

My wish list.   All three have been mocked higher than #22 and lower than #22 depending on the site.   One of these 3 at #22.

1. Brody Brecht RHP College

2. Theo Gillen 2B-SS-CF. HS (bats LH)

3. Kellon Lindsey SS HS (bats RH)

Brecht has been described as Skenes without command but he’s athletic and only been devoted full time to baseball after giving up football.   Ceiling TOR.  Mid ceiling.  Closer

Gillen could be a power speed guy but position is questionable because his arm didn’t bounce all the way back from shoulder surgery.   If the arm comes back, SS maybe.  If not, 2B or CF.

Lindsey can possibly stick at SS, has 80 speed, and maybe can develop some power.   Gets some Trea Turner comps.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Brecht has been described as Skenes without command

If you are saying there's a plausible candidate whose nickname could be "Bruiser Brody", Elias should mail it in and go to the 2nd pick.

51 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

If you are saying there's a plausible candidate whose nickname could be "Bruiser Brody", Elias should mail it in and go to the 2nd pick.

I did not know who Bruise Brody was but I do now.  Interesting.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

My wish list.   All three have been mocked higher than #22 and lower than #22 depending on the site.   One of these 3 at #22.

Brecht has been described as Skenes without command but he’s athletic and only been devoted full time to baseball after giving up football.   Ceiling TOR.  Mid ceiling.  Closer

Gillen could be a power speed guy but position is questionable because his arm didn’t bounce all the way back from shoulder surgery.   If the arm comes back, SS maybe.  If not, 2B or CF.

Lindsey can possibly stick at SS, has 80 speed, and maybe can develop some power.   Gets some Trea Turner comps.

I like Brecht as well. Could see a Jeff Samardzija type career. Where the highs could be really high when throwing strikes.

17 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I like Brecht as well. Could see a Jeff Samardzija type career. Where the highs could be really high when throwing strikes.

His arm action is Verlander to a “T” unless I’m imagining it.   I think he’s gone before #22.   I think there’s a pretty good chance one of the HS players is there.  There’s also a HS SS from Nebraska with upside.  Give me any of those guys over whatever college bats are left over.

Super regional start tonight and we should see a lot of aces tonight. Some names I’ll be watching tonight.

Honeycutt UNC

Tibbs and Smith FSU

Ryan Waldschmidt Kentucky-love his write up.

• Upvote 1