Basallo for Miller y/n?

Philip

Just now, ChosenOne21 said:

Basallo's reasonable floor is pretty good first baseman. Miller's reasonable floor is he blows out his arm and/or has other injuries and isn't the same after he comes back.

So Basallo's elbow fracture issue isn't a concern going forward but Miller's arm is?

I don't think you get to have both.

You do remember Loewen right?  His stress elbow issues can returning.

10 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I don't know if Oakland would do Miller for Kjerstad or not. I sort of doubt it, but that doesn't mean it isn't fair on paper.

I'd rather have 6-7 years of a LH hitting catcher who hits like a very good first baseman than 6 years of very good to excellent closer. It's easier to find the latter than the former by a lot.

I don’t think it is easier. That’s why Hader got so much from Houston. He’s fallen off a Cliff, but that just shows his rarity and desirability.

Also, catching is not an offense-first position. A league average hitting catcher who does catching stuff well is more than enough to make a team smile. But a terrible catcher who does all the catching stuff at a high level will also make a team smile. That’s why Castro got 24 million from Minnesota even though he was a below average hitter. So if we give up Basallo, we give up an excellent hitter, but we can find an adequate replacement.

Believes me, I agree it’s a difficult question, but I think it’s worth asking.

IMO think is a good discussion with a lot of layers to it.

Miller looks like one of the most dominant relievers in the game along with Bautista and Clase. He has a long time of cost control/certainty. However, he is coming off of an injury and with his pitching style (extreme velo) it is almost a near certainty that he will get injured again and have to miss one of his cost controlled seasons. He does meet an immediate need, probably the only hole on our roster.

On the other hand, Basallo has huge upside and could be a top 3-5 prospect in MLB next year. He hasn't gotten off to a great start this season at AA. But the batting talent is there in droves. Now, having said that, what role will he fill on this team given the glut of position players that we currently possess? We have an excess/overabundance of position player prospects and young star type Major Leaguers. How much is too much given the lack of said pitching talent throughout the org (in particular the Minor Leagues to match)?

Most likely, someone will need to be traded, whether Basallo or not.

The question really is the value. How do 6/7 seasons of Basallo (now only in AA) compare to 5 and 1/2 seasons of a dominant relief pitcher/closer (who is probable to lose some of that time due to injury)? Basallo would definitely be the type of player that the A's would be willing to deal Miller for and he would beat ANYTHING anyone else could give up to get him. Millier would probably make us WS favorites. But could we get him for less, say a Kjerstad or Mayo?

Also, something else worth considering, while we need a Miller type this year for sure. What happens next season when Bautista returns? Do we really need 2 dominant closers? Is that the best use of a Basallo in a trade? Or would we be better off acquiring a starter?

It's a good discussion worth having at least IMO.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SouthRider said:

I feel bad for whatever prospect we wind up trading to Oakland.   Sure, they get to play in the show but what a crappy situation.  

Would you rather be Darell Herniaz or Conner Norby right now?

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe?

Let's be honest, he was hyped to the moon this offseason and that might be his peak.

We don't know he can stick at catcher.  We don't know if his elbow issue will resurface.

I agree that he's a fabulous prospect with a huge ceiling but he's not some stainless steel lock.

Doubt it is his peak. His home run yesterday looked like he barely swung. In two years he could be Stanton or Judge power. 

28 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Its a Duquette, Peter slash Buck trade, Empty the farm to win today, only problem is there not here anymore, Mike is, so not likely, plus guys that throw 103 Break

"Empty the farm" uh no. Loosing Basallo doesn't empty the farm here. AND we have so many young positional players already at the big league level (something Buck/Dan and maybe no other MLB team has had before).

We are literally so overloaded with position player talent that there is no place to get a highly related 25 year old MLB prospect like Kjerstad ABs right now because the team is so good. And Mayo and Holliday (2 top 20/25ish prospects are still at AAA) and we have the luxury of taking our time with them.

Yes Miller will inevitably get hurt at some point. But this season he is likely to be the most dominant reliever in the game. Our only weakness, roster hole is at closer. Mason Miller makes us the best team in baseball bar none and the odds on World Series favorite.

10 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

I feel bad for whatever prospect we wind up trading to Oakland.   Sure, they get to play in the show but what a crappy situation.  

They get to go to Vegas soon 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would you rather be Darell Herniaz or Conner Norby right now?

Norby, since he is the superior player.    Better yet, let's wait until the deadline and see where Norby winds up.   

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So Basallo's elbow fracture issue isn't a concern going forward but Miller's arm is?

I don't think you get to have both.

You do remember Loewen right?  His stress elbow issues can returning.

Basallo could still DH or play first. Miller can’t do anything with a bad elbow. 

3 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Doubt it is his peak. His home run yesterday looked like he barely swung. In two years he could be Stanton or Judge power. 

Sure, but it's a possibility.

I'd say his value was pretty darn high already this offseason.

Look at someone like Jesus Montero, top 5 prospect over multiple seasons (BA and BP).  Ended up being a bust.

You don't know until you know.

2 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

Norby, since he is the superior player.    Better yet, let's wait until the deadline and see where Norby winds up.   

Cool.

I'd rather be the guy in the majors instead of the guy who knows Norfolk better than most of the Sailors stationed there.

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I wouldn't do it, but we have three months to see who is out there.  I want to see what Suarez looks like out of the pen.  Wells has reliever potential as well.  Maybe we bring Tanner Scott home?  There's a lot time left before the deadline.  

The gap between those guys and Miller throwing 102/103 (with command) is MASSIVE. We are in a World Series window, if Mason Miller is the piece that you need to win the World series in 2024, then IMO you absolutely do it!

How much are we really going to miss one of Kjerstad/Mayo/Basallo? We already have one of the best offenses in baseball and that is WITHOUT Holliday. Once you add another from that list of 3 to replace (Santander) we are going to be in great shape long term too.

Let's say Miller is on the roster next year and Bautista comes back next year, wouldn't we be the World Series favorites next season as well?

We are playing for the big prize now (championship banners/World Series rings) I am not comfortable hanging our hopes on the likes of a Tanner Scott reunion. We don't have to and shouldn't be considering going cheap anymore. We did that last year with Flaherty and Fuji and paid for it. Let's not make the same mistake twice.