If Coby Mayo Can Play Average ML 3B Defense

RZNJ

I think that Westburg's arm might play a little better in the OF than Holliday's.  I've always liked the idea of Mayo in RF but IF he can play an average MLB 3B or better then sure, why not?

Unless Elias wants Mayo with the O's strictly for his bat it seems he has a ways to go to win a 3B/1B job in the majors.    He has 8 errors.  5 at 3B and 3 at 1B.      Urias has 1 error and Westburg has none.   Though errors don't tell everything about a player's defense it is an indicator.   And we know Elias/Hyde value defense.

I could see Mayo spending all or most of the season in AAA. How much he improves defensively will tell how ready he is for the majors IMO.  He is too valuable to trade.  They just need to determine where he fits best defensively.

50 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Coby Mayo playing average defense will be fine until he makes an error or can't get to a ball that someone else could have.  Then all hell will break loose.

Imagine Mayo's arm in CF.  He'll be throwing guys out at the plate left and right.

19 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Imagine Mayo's arm in CF.  He'll be throwing guys out at the plate left and right.

Andruw Jones was the last to have 20 in a season.  I hardly think Mayo's arm is better or that he'd be able to cover anywhere near as much ground.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

The dream '26 alignment is something like Gunnar 3B/Holliday SS/Westburg 2B/Mayo 1B. If Holliday isn't SS (which is looking perhaps more likely), we could still accomodate all four via Gunnar SS/Westburg 3B/Holliday 2B/Mayo 1B. The question is how to get there and find AB's for everyone as long as O'Hearn/Mountcastle, Santander, and Urias/Mateo are on the team. 

Not sure about this year, but next year, I could see Mayo playing a super sub role splitting time in RF with Kjerstad, 1B/DH with O'Hearn/Mountcastle, and 3B with Westburg. 

Then in '26 things open up with O'Hearn and Mountcastle gone, as well as Mateo.

Westburg has been impressive at 2B, so I'd really hate to move him. If we are going to move Westburg or Holliday to outfield, why would we move the guy who is already playing 2B at a high level? 

Why would you move Gunnar off SS? I didnt see any reason to do it last year after watching him play SS, and I sure dont see any reason to do it in the next few years after seeing him play exclusively SS this year. He will be 24/25 in the 2026 season, hardly at the age where he may have lost a step and need to shift to 3B. Its unfortunate for Holliday to be the one to have to adjust, but I would imagine SS is Gunnar's for the foreseeable  future in Baltimore. He is a top 5 SS in baseball currently (Gunnar, Betts, Seager, Witt, Elly) and the argument could be made that he is top 1 or 2.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Andruw Jones was the last to have 20 in a season.  I hardly think Mayo's arm is better or that he'd be able to cover anywhere near as much ground.

Runners will think it's not as good, so they'll be more likely to run, thus more players thrown out at the plate.

8 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Why would you move Gunnar off SS? I didnt see any reason to do it last year after watching him play SS, and I sure dont see any reason to do it in the next few years after seeing him play exclusively SS this year. He will be 24/25 in the 2026 season, hardly at the age where he may have lost a step and need to shift to 3B. Its unfortunate for Holliday to be the one to have to adjust, but I would imagine SS is Gunnar's for the foreseeable  future in Baltimore. He is a top 5 SS in baseball currently (Gunnar, Betts, Seager, Witt, Elly) and the argument could be made that he is top 1 or 2.

I have no doubt Gunnar can play SS and that is the most likely scenario. The problem is that most likely pushes Westburg to 3B where he isn't as good. If Holliday can play SS, you would be getting elite level defense at 2B and 3B. But it's a dream scenario not only in that it is high upside but also that it is probably not happening based on what we've seen of Holliday. Still, he was the 1:1 and could grow into it so I don't think it should be ruled out if it could make the team better.

Holliday in CF is an interesting idea, as is Mayo in RF. Put Norby at 2B, Kjerstad at DH. Room for everyone!

The reality is there’s no room for Mayo unless he moves and I highly doubt Holliday is going to be moved. Fun ideas though. 

Posted (edited)

I was supposed to be Coby Mayo's biggest promoter, and I got criticised for bringing him up in a post on the Orioles talk page, and NOT minors. But I digress...I think Coby Mayo's defensive deficiencies are somewhat overrated. Yes he has 5 errors at third in Norfolk. I know that at least two were because of the rain and wind...besides. if he hits like he should, any failings defensively would be greatly overshadowed. He has a great arm and at 6'5 he has the size to get at balls hit hard away from him. I would DEFINITELY play him at third. And once again, worth mentioning. Right now, Mayo has more HR, more RBI than ANY Orioles player..and he'd be second in batting average among regulars if he was on the roster now. And his chase rate is LOWER than the MLB average. Bring him up. He's light years better than Urias.

Edited by Roy Firestone
  • Upvote 3