If Coby Mayo Can Play Average ML 3B Defense

RZNJ

11 hours ago, accinfo said:

To say Mayo is more major league ready than Holliday is a stretch.  Based on what?  36 AB's at the major league level for Holliday?  

How about the fact that Mayo has played in far more AAA games and has hit much better in AAA than Holliday, plus he’s older and more physically mature?

Mayo: 421 PA, .944 OPS in AAA

Holliday: 186 PA, .862 OPS in AAA

It doesn’t seem like a stretch at all to argue that Mayo is more ready offensively.  Defense is the question with Mayo.  

• Upvote 3

If we are being super creative with SS/CF, isn't it possible CF Gunnar and SS Holliday would be more efficient?

I think Westburg finding another gear takes some of the pressure off Mayo's glove.

There's asset management over another year but I think absent a very big trade we'll get to C Adley, 1B Mayo, 2B Holliday, SS Gunnar, 3B Westburg, LF Cowser, CF Bradfield, RF Kjerstad, DH Basallo with Norby and Beavers extra guys if they are here.

Mix up 1B/RF/DH and Mayo/Kjerstad/Basallo based on their progress as defenders, with maybe DH preferred for Basallo as he might catch some.     Minnesota last year tried catcher load management as simple as alternating days, and maybe that's something the Orioles could do for a decade if both guys ink long term.

31 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

There's asset management over another year but I think absent a very big trade we'll get to C Adley, 1B Mayo, 2B Holliday, SS Gunnar, 3B Westburg, LF Cowser, CF Bradfield, RF Kjerstad, DH Basallo with Norby and Beavers extra guys if they are here.

Love the looks of this all-homegrown roster! Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely due to: a) it's probably never been done; b) injury or other nonperformance issues; c) the good chances of a "very big trade" or two from this stable of position talent to bring in some pitching help. 

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

If we are being super creative with SS/CF, isn't it possible CF Gunnar and SS Holliday would be more efficient?

I think Westburg finding another gear takes some of the pressure off Mayo's glove.

Mix up 1B/RF/DH and Mayo/Kjerstad/Basallo based on their progress as defenders, with maybe DH preferred for Basallo as he might catch some.     Minnesota last year tried catcher load management as simple as alternating days, and maybe that's something the Orioles could do for a decade if both guys ink long term.

CF Gunnar?   

That seems a lot more far fetched than CF Holliday which is probably unlikely to happen as well.   IMO, the difference between Henderson and Holliday at SS would be significant.  Not sure about CF but the speed is the same according to Savant.   Henderson isn’t moving from SS for a long, long time.  His defense is underrated by some around here. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

How about the fact that Mayo has played in far more AAA games and has hit much better in AAA than Holliday, plus he’s older and more physically mature?

It doesn’t seem like a stretch at all to argue that Mayo is more ready offensively.  Defense is the question with Mayo.  

The point I was trying to make is I don’t believe anyone here can say with any certainty that Mayo would have more immediate success than Holliday did based on watching him a few games in AAA.  Yes he has had more success in AAA with a much longer track record offensively.  When they decided to bring Holliday up I am guessing they thought overall offensively and defensively he was more ready to help.  There will be more outcry here when Austin Hayes gets back and gets plenty of starts.  As long as they keep winning I just can’t argue much with their roster decisions.  

4 hours ago, now said:

Love the looks of this all-homegrown roster! Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely due to: a) it's probably never been done; b) injury or other nonperformance issues; c) the good chances of a "very big trade" or two from this stable of position talent to bring in some pitching help. 

Just Regular's guess is as good as any for the long term plan based on what we know as of today. We already have five of the pieces (Adley, Gunnar, Westburg, Cowser, Kjerstad) in place, with Mayo and Norby very close behind. Bradfield is probably the biggest question mark on the list but we've got Beavers and Etzel. If Cowser or Kjerstad fail, Stowers is another option. It's really not that far fetched.

So far Elias's modus operandi has been to not trade anyone that could potentially be in a future top 9. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, accinfo said:

The point I was trying to make is I don’t believe anyone here can say with any certainty that Mayo would have more immediate success than Holliday did based on watching him a few games in AAA.  Yes he has had more success in AAA with a much longer track record offensively.  When they decided to bring Holliday up I am guessing they thought overall offensively and defensively he was more ready to help.  There will be more outcry here when Austin Hayes gets back and gets plenty of starts.  As long as they keep winning I just can’t argue much with their roster decisions.  

David Bañuelos would have more success than Holliday did.   Yes, I guarantee that Mayo would hit better than Holliday did.  It might not be good but it would be better.   

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

David Bañuelos would have more success than Holliday did.   Yes, I guarantee that Mayo would hit better than Holliday did.  It might not be good but it would be better.   

True.  I’m not down on Holliday, but that was about as bad an offensive debut as possible.  

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

I borrowed this pic from minors thread and @Sports Guy.  Mayo is soon to be 2nd for most AAA PA amongst our top prospects. 

IMG_5415.jpeg

Turned on the Norfolk game last night to watch Povich a little and he had a double play ball bounce off his glove to the shortstop. Didn’t check the EV but definitely a play that should be made. It was the 5th inning by the lead off batter before Carpenter 2 run shot.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

And RZNJ wins.

Who is Rob Long?

Holliday or Westburg in CF would be a nice offense boost. Great idea if they can catch the ball better than Cowser. I'd like to start seeing Mateo there more as well. 

Hopefully Mullins picks it up and this is a non issue.

17 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Who is Rob Long?

Holliday or Westburg in CF would be a nice offense boost. Great idea if they can catch the ball better than Cowser. I'd like to start seeing Mateo there more as well. 

Long is a local radio host who does the MaSN pre and post game stuff at times.

17 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Who is Rob Long?

Even if Mullins picks it up, and I hope he does, it still makes sense longer term IF they think Mayo is the future 3B.

• Upvote 1