Which of our 8 starters would make the best closer?

Frobby

Which of our 8 starters would make the best closer?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which of our 8 starters would make the best closer?

Following up on the GRod as closer thread, which of our starters do you think would make the best closer?

For purposes of my question, don’t worry about the cost of removing that pitcher from the rotation.  I simply want to know who would be the best closer, if given the job?

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Burnes is the best pitcher, so him.

I disagree.  He is at his worst to start games.   He seems to need to warm up a bit before finding his groove.   Not sure he'd be able to get great in just one inning. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I was going to go with Burnes for the same reason but he seems to be locked into a very rigid structure that would not be possible in the closer role.

I would want someone without recent arm problem  downtime and with the ability to dial up a K in crucial. That’s why I went with Kremer, although he gives up HR a bit too often.

Edited by George Zuverink

2 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Suarez. Largely because I reject the concept of ignoring the impact of removing them from the rotation. 

I would downvote you but you seem ok so far.  Easy question.  Easy premise.   And you have to reject the concept?   

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't get what the point is here.  

I took it as an interesting question without a point other than triggering thought and discussion. Something other than “how could we slot twelve MLB-ready square pegs not seven already filled MLB round holes?”

I answered Burnes but I considered  Bradish.  I want someone who can overpower hitters with 2  pitches with command.   Burnes with his cutter and curve or Bradish with his two seamer and slider.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not the way he starts off games. He's got a 643 ERA and batters have slashed .344/.382/.813/1.195 off him in the 1st inning of work. He seems to be a guy who needs to get in the groove a bit.

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Means has yet to walk a batter!  and is striking out over 10 per 9.   Seems like he would do well.

Ugggh!   He didn’t ask who would do well.  He asked who would be the best closer.