Credit where it’s due to Melanie Newman

27 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I didn't listen to all of the game because I often mute it, but I did catch this.  When Kjerstad was pinch hitting they didn't once mention that a new pitcher was coming in.  But later when they saw something in the dugout Ben said something like "Suarez night.. probably done".  Uhm, yes, definitely done since he was pinch hit for haha.  

Exactly.  Lol

58 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

She was awful.  I listened to her stumble around but Roy Firestone had to mute her.  

She had some great call on Santander homerun.

•  

Melanie: "And Santander ties it up on a…. Swing!"

Melanie!  you need to do better.

I think Melanie is excellent as a pre and post game host.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

There is also the sound of her voice when she goes up in energy that is not pleasant to the ear.  Its like nails on a chalkboard.  Its like she is telling me to get off my butt and take out the trash.  

HA!

Just now, Roy Firestone said:

This is where she has time to practice and get her thoughts in order.  I think she is not good at fast reaction stuff.

And I agree she is much better at that job.  

31 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I didn't listen to all of the game because I often mute it, but I did catch this.  When Kjerstad was pinch hitting they didn't once mention that a new pitcher was coming in.  But later when they saw something in the dugout Ben said something like "Suarez night.. probably done".  Uhm, yes, definitely done since he was pinch hit for haha.  

This is why Kevin is good. He would not have missed any of Hyde's maneuvers. He's on top of everything. 

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Melanie Newman is great at doing the pre and post game shows much better than Rob Long. Rob Long is good doing sports talk radio on 105.7 The Fan, but I've never like his delivery on MASN.

I will give Newman credit she has improved at play by play and she pairs well with Ben McDonald on the broadcast. I'd rather see her on MASN than Scott Garceau where before I was indifferent to either one.

4 minutes ago, deward said:

I think the crew in the booth is by far the weakest part of the Apple broadcasts, from what I've seen so far. Not a fan at all.

I didn't say they were great.  But I also think people here have different expectations from local broadcasters and what you get on a national broadcast.  

I don't know if I've seen anyone on here be complimentary of a national broadcast crew no matter the situation (playoffs, in-season broadcast, etc).  Like, a national broadcast team is supposed to talk about things at a general level.  They're not supposed to be super in depth about the Orioles, they'll know a few things that they'll have found on some simple research, but overall they're really not here for us...and when I say us, I mean the die hard Orioles fans who are aware of what side Connor Norby leans when he farts in the Tides dugout.  

So, I don't expect great things from the Apple TV broadcast crew tomorrow night because they're not here to cater to people like me. 

And I'll enjoy not listening to Kevin Brown.

I am not a fan of Melanie except for pre and post game.  

Another mistake last night, Nats down by 2, I believe in the 11th inning the first batter hit a grounder to the right side and the runner that was placed on 2nd advanced to 3rd on the out.  Melanie said the batter did his job by advancing the runner?  You are down by 2, what in actually being accomplished by making an out?? That is the stuff that tells me that she doesn't understand the game enough to be doing PBP in the majors.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if she read this board.

The standard is so very high for orioles broadcasts—both TV and radio. I know everyone loves Jon miller, but for my money Joe Angel had the best set of golden pipes in history.

Melanie carries the company water and is better than Mike Bordick and Jim Hunter. So there’s that.

She’s done well making a name for herself. I at least  know her name and voice. The other two in the radio broadcast. I seriously have no idea what their names are. They’re comply nondescript and without any personality. I know one has a punchy voice and another is very nasally.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I didn't say they were great.  But I also think people here have different expectations from local broadcasters and what you get on a national broadcast.  

I don't know if I've seen anyone on here be complimentary of a national broadcast crew no matter the situation (playoffs, in-season broadcast, etc).  Like, a national broadcast team is supposed to talk about things at a general level.  They're not supposed to be super in depth about the Orioles, they'll know a few things that they'll have found on some simple research, but overall they're really not here for us...and when I say us, I mean the die hard Orioles fans who are aware of what side Connor Norby leans when he farts in the Tides dugout.  

So, I don't expect great things from the Apple TV broadcast crew tomorrow night because they're not here to cater to people like me. 

And I'll enjoy not listening to Kevin Brown.

I don't expect that from national broadcasts either, but I do expect that the delivery at least be enjoyable, and I don't find them to be. All a matter of taste, of course.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Melanie Newman is great at doing the pre and post game shows much better than Rob Long. Rob Long is good doing sports talk radio on 105.7 The Fan, but I've never like his delivery on MASN.

I will give Newman credit she has improved at play by play and she pairs well with Ben McDonald on the broadcast. I'd rather see her on MASN than Scott Garceau where before I was indifferent to either one.

Oh man, don't get me started on Rob Long. He's fine on his radio shows, but the man cannot spit out a sentence to save his life on live TV. It's abysmal. I like the guy, but he is objectively bad at pre- and post-game duties. It's shocking. 

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I will say this: several (not all) of Melanie's foibles were also problems for Fred Manfra, who is in the Orioles Hall of Fame and spent 25 years in the O's radio booth.   He had a terrible time describing any play that was at all unusual while it was occurring, and he was awful at distinguishing which fly balls would be homers/extra base hits and which were routine fly balls.   I can't count how many times I would curse him for raising his voice as though an Orioles homer had been launched and then say it was caught shy of the warning track, or act as though an opponent's ball was just an average fly ball and then say in a semi-sheepish tone that it had cleared the fence.  And, he had a way of sounding a bit too happy when things were going poorly.   So, Melanie isn't alone.

I loved Fred’s voice, but yes, he could be frustrating to say the least. I distinctly remember listening to a radio game where his call was, “There’s a line drive into deep left center field… and… foul.” 😐

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Oh man, don't get me started on Rob Long. He's fine on his radio shows, but the man cannot spit out a sentence to save his life on live TV. It's abysmal. I like the guy, but he is objectively bad at pre- and post-game duties. It's shocking. 

His pacing is always so off for the quick bits required of that role. When I watch him it feels like his internal clock is different than the real world's and he's like lurching around trying to find rhythm with the broadcast. 

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

His pacing is always so off for the quick bits required of that role. When I watch him it feels like his internal clock is different than the real world's and he's like lurching around trying to find rhythm with the broadcast. 

Yes! It makes me cringe every time. Just say a sentence normally man! He is also constantly *just barely* remembering the name of a guy or a play he has to reference. Like he gets it out and you want to take a deep breath of relief. It's agonizing to me, I usually have to mute it lol. 

• Haha 1