Stowers is back to Orioles, Kjerstad optioned

eddie83

12 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Playing sporadically and pinch hitting is not the way you judge someone's talent at the major league level. They gave Holliday every chance to be an everyday guy and he proved he needs more seasoning. All these guys they bring up should be given the same chance. 

Holliday had a position.  HK does not have a spot on the team unless someone is injured.  Who should they benched to give HK every day ABs?  Santander, O'Hearn, Cowser?

2 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

10 games he started. Right? How many games did Kierstad start before he was sent back down?

Holliday was brought up to replace a bench player. Again, who do you sit for 10 games to let Kjerstad play every day?

13 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Playing sporadically and pinch hitting is not the way you judge someone's talent at the major league level. They gave Holliday every chance to be an everyday guy and he proved he needs more seasoning. All these guys they bring up should be given the same chance. 

It’s not going to happen that way.   The vets are going to get the majority of the playing time unless they play poorly for a very extended period of time and it starts affecting the W/L record.  You don’t have to like it but that’s the way it is and will be.  

So at what point do you sit Mullins down for an extended time or put him on the IL with a hangnail or something?

He looks like a mini-Chris Davis out there. And not the good Chris Davis. lol He can't even bunt at this point. 

1 hour ago, Malike said:

I agree, if Kjerstad was a good defender I think they would keep him and think about a full-time gig next year. They just seem like they don't want to play him in the field.

I actually thought he had a very good game last weekend in LF. 

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the O’s are trying to balance (1) winning, (2) giving guys major league opportunities and exposure, and (3) getting them regular playing time in the minors that’s not available in the majors.  In other words, giving Kjerstad 17 major league PA in 19 days won’t cause him to accrue too much rust, but 34 PA in 38 days would.   So, cycle him down and let him get back in rhythm, and give Stowers (who’s been playing every day) his three weeks of sporadic major league time.  I’ll add that if Kjerstad had hit more, he would have gotten more than 17 PA.   Yes, it’s tough to hit when playing time is sporadic, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.  It probably won’t be his last opportunity this year.  

A difficult task to balance, for sure. To piggy back off this train of thought, an anecdote comes to mind... Jory Ortiz only got sporadic plate appearances last season and he wasn't anything special at the plate because of it. But he goes to a new team who has given him consistent opportunities and he's been doing good at the major league level with those opportunities.

As for Urias, doesn't make any sense to me to have a guy with a couple million dollars salary warming the bench, and it also doesn't make sense to play him (have him block) over more talented players like Westburg. It also doesn't make any sense to call up Mayo just to have him sit on the bench either. Maybe eventually a guy like Wagner can be a good backup 3rd basemen who only plays sporadically. And it doesn't make any sense to be playing rookies who will struggle while we are in a tight race for the Pennant.

It is quite the conundrum.

But we shouldn't waste the best prospects. Time is ticking and they're getting older. 

Time waits for no one.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

No, I don’t, but he looked awful. What was he striking out out of 40% clip?

I'm not suggesting he looked good, just that it's overboard to say he got every chance.

I think he got a decent chance, but he wasn't given a huge amount of rope.

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

I actually thought he had a very good game last weekend in LF. 

He had a nice running grab but the other two plays were sketchy in my opinion. He almost fell down trying to pick a ball up and the runner got to 3rd.

What Hyde says about Kjerstad tells a lot Stowers.

“But just kind of where we are, health-wise, in our outfield, which is pretty strong, we feel like we want him to go play every day. He’s a big part of our future going forward, and somebody we really believe in. I’m sure he’ll be back up here soon.”

Also his use of the words spring training.

“Kyle took some good swings off some spring training left-handers, and we’ll see how it goes here.”

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

He had a nice running grab but the other two plays were sketchy in my opinion. He almost fell down trying to pick a ball up and the runner got to 3rd.

He wasn't perfect but I thought he filled in well for Hays. Now, if he had only barreled up a ball or two...

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

What Hyde says about Kjerstad tells a lot Stowers.

“But just kind of where we are, health-wise, in our outfield, which is pretty strong, we feel like we want him to go play every day. He’s a big part of our future going forward, and somebody we really believe in. I’m sure he’ll be back up here soon.”

Also his use of the words spring training.

“Kyle took some good swings off some spring training left-handers, and we’ll see how it goes here.”

I'm wondering if the comparison is Stowers vs Mullins (or even Hays) against LHs. 

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

I'm wondering if the comparison is Stowers vs Mullins (or even Hays) against LHs. 

I don’t follow.  Stowers will PH and be lucky to get one start a week.  IMO,  Hyde was downplaying his success against “spring training” LHP.   I don’t expect him to get starts vs LHP.