Are we actually 27-14 with the highest runs/game in the AL?

Frobby

5 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Well if you’re saying that after two disappointing playoff appearances that you are going to question his ability to close things out, then you have a decision to make whether you keep him or replace him. That’s just a ridiculous thing to start thinking about after only two playoff appearances. 

NO.

I did not say that.

Why is it so hard to accurately represent another poster's views?  The comments are right there.

46 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think that’s a fair question but the follow up question would be do you think that would warrant bringing in a new GM?

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, but it should be open to discussion at that point.

RIGHT THERE I said he should not be replaced. 

I was asked point blank, I responded with no obfuscation and yet I'm accused of saying something different.

RSNJ was even satisfied with the response.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I guess we could argue over what constitutes a trend but Flaherty, arguably, had his best month of the year in July (5 starts 3.03 ERA).  One could certainly argue that he was trending up at the time of the trade.

P.S.  Fuji was with the A’s.

Trends for his career, not by month.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

NO.

I did not say that.

Why is it so hard to accurately represent another poster's views?  The comments are right there.

I was asked point blank, I responded with no obfuscation and yet I'm accused of saying something different.

Well, if you think he can’t take us all the way, and you still keep him as GM, then that’s just dumb.

And that response was after my comment. I don’t think I’m misrepresenting what you originally said. If you are questioning his ability, you should be questioning whether or not he should stay as GM. 

Edited by RarityFlaherty

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

NO.

I did not say that.

He shouldn't be replaced, but we should have discussions about what exactly?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Is it me, or is the overall tone of the message board very negative right now?

I realize there are several players in slumps right now, and the overall offense hasn’t been that good the last 14 games or so.   Still, big picture, the team is on pace to win 107 games and finish with the highest runs/game in the AL.   And despite the recent slump, the team has won 10 of its last 14 games, including taking 3 of 4 from the Yankees.   The hitting may have slumped, but the pitchers have been unbelievable of late.  Over the 14 game stretch that the offense has been slumping, the team has a 2.13 ERA.

Bottom line, the season has gone great so far.  Yeah there are guys slumping.  That happens.  Some will come out of it, some may have off years or be about done.   But this team is winning, consistently.   Sometimes the offense carries the pitching, sometimes it’s the other way around.  Sometimes everything is hitting on all cylinders, but that doesn’t happen all that much for any team.  The O’s are constantly finding ways to win, and that’s what good teams do.   So count me as a happy camper, regardless of who’s slumping at the moment.  

107 Wins? Piffle. If we had competent management, a decent front office, and ownership that was willing to open up the checkbook, were willing to jettison Mateo, Urias, Hays, and Mullins, and went out and got a true ACE and a lights-out, elite closer, we'd be on pace to win 109!!! And I am unanimous in this!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Well, if you think he can’t take us all the way after two playoff appearances, and you still keep him as GM, then that’s just dumb.

And that response was after my comment. I don’t think I’m misrepresenting what you originally said. If you are questioning his ability, you should be questioning whether or not he should stay as GM. 

Got to love it, show you evidence and you still want to deflect.

Starting to have a discussion about something is not the same as asking for change.  Ordinarily discussion happens first.

OK, how about this scenario?

What if it comes out that the organizational philosophy is to put emphasis on making the playoffs as often as possible over sacrificing future competitiveness to increase the chances of a title in a one season scenario?

If that is the ownership goal than the moves made at the deadline are right line with that. 

Stuff like that is why discussion is an important step.

To @Frobby's original post I'll echo what others have said:

This board is always extremely negative.  That's not a knock on the board; I just think it's the nature of the beast.

There was more ink spilled lamenting Frazier last year than celebrating a historic season.  It's just the way it is.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We would be looking at him making multiple obviously questionable moves in consecutive years.  How many folks honestly liked either of the deals last season?

I'm not talking about trading for a guy and him under performing what was expected.  Flaherty was not with the Cards last year and was trending down.  Fuji was below replacement level with the Angels.  They had assets to make more impactful moves and didn't.

If the goal is to stay in the playoff picture most of the time you don't have the discussion.  If the goal is to win a ring, you would start the discussion after two years of underwhelming additions.

I think with Burnes and Irvin he's earned the benefit of the doubt on making trades. I thought the Fuji trade was brilliant at the time. I fully believed he would pitch well here. He didnt, but no one bats 1.000.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Is it me, or is the overall tone of the message board very negative right now?

I realize there are several players in slumps right now, and the overall offense hasn’t been that good the last 14 games or so.   Still, big picture, the team is on pace to win 107 games and finish with the highest runs/game in the AL.   And despite the recent slump, the team has won 10 of its last 14 games, including taking 3 of 4 from the Yankees.   The hitting may have slumped, but the pitchers have been unbelievable of late.  Over the 14 game stretch that the offense has been slumping, the team has a 2.13 ERA.

Bottom line, the season has gone great so far.  Yeah there are guys slumping.  That happens.  Some will come out of it, some may have off years or be about done.   But this team is winning, consistently.   Sometimes the offense carries the pitching, sometimes it’s the other way around.  Sometimes everything is hitting on all cylinders, but that doesn’t happen all that much for any team.  The O’s are constantly finding ways to win, and that’s what good teams do.   So count me as a happy camper, regardless of who’s slumping at the moment.  

I always go back to 2014, when the team was in first place every day from July 4th through the end of the season. And there were people who were angry that they weren't deadline sellers because clearly it was all a mirage. Some people have a set point somewhere around five notches below happy.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes he is.

And it's irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Eh.

If you're claiming that the Flaherty acquisition was a bad move because of his career trends, then the fact that he's pitching very well this year kind of belies that argument.

But fine, leave that be.

I still want to know: If we get bounced quickly out of the playoffs this year, and Elias doesn't make a trade you approve of at the deadline, you don't want to fire him but you want to have discussions.  What is supposed to be discussed?

2 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Precisely and to really put it into context, we have played one of the hardest schedules in baseball. We have faced every team’s ace, some twice. Yes we haven’t been hitting extremely well, but we have also gone up against tremendous pitching.

We are facing Seattle' best 3 pitchers...Kirby and Castillo shut us down last year...lets see how we fare against top pitching while we're already in hitting slumps...

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I always go back to 2014, when the team was in first place every day from July 4th through the end of the season. And there were people who were angry that they weren't deadline sellers because clearly it was all a mirage. Some people have a set point somewhere around five notches below happy.

It's human nature.  Nobody takes the time to fire off messages about what they're happy about.

I'm as guilty of it as anybody.  I virtually never respond to a post that I agree with.  I only respond when I disagree, and the more I disagree, the more likely I am to respond.