Bullpen Strategy for the 12:15 Restart

18 minutes ago, Gunnar said:

OT but this

MLB teams must designate every player on the active roster either as a pitcher or a position player. Those designated as position players are unable to pitch unless it is extra innings or their team is ahead or trailing by more than six runs when they take the mound. Teams can also designate players as two-way players if they meet certain criteria. Two-way players are able to pitch in any situation but don't count toward the active roster's pitcher total.

is really stupid. 

59 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd be down for Irvin for the rest of the game depending on if he's recovered.  

Whatever it is, someone's gotta go over an inning and Hyde can't do his typical "one pitcher for one inning" crap.

Irvin only threw 13 pitches on Sunday. He should be good for the remainder of the suspended game. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Irvin only threw 13 pitches on Sunday. He should be good for the remainder of the suspended game. 

That's good, I didn't remember how many he threw.  

Either way, he's going to have to log some innings today, be it for the close out of this game or for a good chunk of the second game.  

44 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Sign me up for Irvin finishing last night's game.

If we get a lead why wouldn't we want a high leverage guy to close it out? I would think we would close it out with Cano but keep Kimbrel for the full game.

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If we get a lead why wouldn't we want a high leverage guy to close it out? I would think we would close it out with Cano but keep Kimbrel for the full game.

That works. I was thinking potentially saving those arms for the 2nd game. You've made me rethink because I'm usually in favor of doing what's best for right now and worrying about the future when it gets here. Even saying that, I don't think I want to burn 4 BP arms in the first game because we might need them in the 2nd.

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Get a lead? Right now, with the way this team is hitting, I'd be thrilled to get a hit . The struggle against this Cardinal team is annoying to me.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, dystopia said:

OT but this

MLB teams must designate every player on the active roster either as a pitcher or a position player. Those designated as position players are unable to pitch unless it is extra innings or their team is ahead or trailing by more than six runs when they take the mound. Teams can also designate players as two-way players if they meet certain criteria. Two-way players are able to pitch in any situation but don't count toward the active roster's pitcher total.

is really stupid. 

The O's just need to find another Ohtani.  Why didn't Elias think of that?

18 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

That works. I was thinking potentially saving those arms for the 2nd game. You've made me rethink because I'm usually in favor of doing what's best for right now and worrying about the future when it gets here. Even saying that, I don't think I want to burn 4 BP arms in the first game because we might need them in the 2nd.

Just depends whether we get a lead or not. I prefer to think that we will :)

Here are the pitch totals the last three days:

Sat Perez 32, Coulombe 10, Suarez 15, Cano 5

Sun Webb 11, Irvin 13, Kimbrel 14

Mon Suarez 24, Perez 36, Akin 15

Tues None

We should definitely stay away from Perez and Suarez should be emergency only. 

Coulombe and Cano have to pitch, the only question is which game. I think if we get a lead we go for the win and pitch them. I could see using them in both games depending on pitch counts and situation. 

Kimbrel, Webb, and Akin should be available for 1 each and Irvin might be able to go more than that. Plus we should have the 27th man. I kind of think it should be a starter capable of multiple innings but we'll see.

2 hours ago, Gunnar said:

I had the same thought this morning.  According to this site we do get a 27th man today, but only for the second game:

https://fansided.com/posts/mlb-27th-man-rule-explained#:~:text=An MLB team can only,one day down the line.

In other cases, teams can call up a 27th man when they are completing a previously suspended game and have another game following the completion of the suspended game.

The 27th man is not eligible to play in the suspended game. They are only eligible to play in the originally scheduled game.

Melewski said this in his blog post last night, so he was apparently wrong:

"As this game was suspended, the teams do not get an extra player for play on Wednesday."

Irvin for 6/7 at least, 8th as well if he can unless we need cano/kimbrel. Save as much of the pen as we can for the second game.

tate, vespi and krook all didn’t pitch last night, so any of them could be options to come up for the second game. Vespi would be my guess. I think heasley started the other day so may not be available. 

12 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Irvin for 6/7 at least, 8th as well if he can unless we need cano/kimbrel. Save as much of the pen as we can for the second game.

tate, vespi and krook all didn’t pitch last night, so any of them could be options to come up for the second game. Vespi would be my guess. I think heasley started the other day so may not be available. 

Tate or Vespi would make the most sense since they've played for the O's before, but I wonder if logistically they can get someone from Worcester to St. Louis on such short notice.