The inane interview questions thread

Frobby

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I wonder what hard-hitting questions people here would ask.

OH: What do you think about having to play for the worst manager in the league?

OH: How angry does it make you when Cedric Mullins or Anthony Santander start over Stowers or Kjerstad?

Isn't Hyde the worst manager ever?  How could he let Mullins bat with the game on the line.  Also every game, remind the Oriole hitters the guys in Norfolk are better.

10 minutes ago, Malike said:

I wonder what hard-hitting questions people here would ask.

OH: What do you think about having to play for the worst manager in the league?

OH: How angry does it make you when Cedric Mullins or Anthony Santander start over Stowers or Kjerstad?

that second question is a good one..I'd love to get an honest answer.

12 minutes ago, thegardner said:

Kremer is a good interview because he has an allergy to losing or an allergy to not doing his absolute best in every moment, he might be the toughest on himself of the current group.  Hyde was very genuine in interviews during the losing years, now strangely he is a little more wooden, I'm not sure what to make of that, it's odd.

He's got a lot more to lose. And a lot higher expectations.He's got to be a diplomat now. Earl Weaver isn't coming through at door. Earl never tried to BS you...he was a little nuts too...what a roller coaster of a ride he was...and Billy Martin too..they were always a little pissed in every interview..

29 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I dont personally know these players, but based on a lot of interviews, they seem awfully young and pretty limited in reflection. I think McCann and Kremer look like they might be good interviews. The best interview on the Orioles in the last decade was Adam Jones. He always had something to say, and if he had a chip on his shoulder, he was as interesting as anyone..I also think Brandon Hyde hates being interviewed. He's a baseball lifer. He's not a quote machine like Buck was..and hes not exactly telegenic. It doesnt matter of course..But I loved free spirited interview personalities...Based on what I see, we dont have many of those on this team. But boy, what I would give to have an Oriole talk show.past and present guests...at this point in my life, that would be a perfect full circle job...because my career BEGAN when I was an Oriole batboy and I often brought my little tape recorder to interview the guys...Brooks, Frank, Boog, Palmer, Davey J, Grich...those guys had things to say, and interesting ways to say it.

Of course never having interviewed them myself, my favorite to listen to was Mancini, with AJ a close second. Mancini had a great attitude and always seemed to remember specifics about at bats and was willing to share his emotions during them.

6 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

He's got a lot more to lose. And a lot higher expectations.He's got to be a diplomat now. Earl Weaver isn't coming through at door. Earl never tried to BS you...he was a little nuts too...what a roller coaster of a ride he was...and Billy Martin too..they were always a little pissed in every interview..

Good point about Hyde, and Billy Martin actually was a little pissed, did you ever hear Buck's story about Billy Martin inviting out after the game...

I've always wondered why they ask such inane questions. Is it just a lack of prep? Who hears some interviewer ask something like, "How big was that win?" or "What does that say about the team?" and thinks, man, these are great questions. I feel really informed.

My favorite in football is, "Coach, what's your plan for the second half?" Like he's going to tell you anything useful. Pretty sure the other team can watch the broadcast.

But what I hate more than anything is the  "Keys to the game" or whatever, like there's some special way they're going to win today. The actual keys to the game are score runs, pitch well, and play good defense.

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

that second question is a good one..I'd love to get an honest answer.

Just don’t ask Mullins or Santander that question.

5 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

No, tell me.

Buck was working in the Yankees system and Billy Martin invited him out after the game, gave him the name of a restaurant and an address, and someone told buck to eat a full meal before going to meet Billy and his group, Buck didn't understand, why would he eat before meeting them for a meal?  But he had a sandwich before leaving, when he arrived at the restaurant they were all drunk and they kept drinking and drinking, no food arrived until after 1am.  He said the sandwich saved him, without that he couldn't even have pretended to keep up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thegardner said:

Good point about Hyde, and Billy Martin actually was a little pissed, did you ever hear Buck's story about Billy Martin inviting out after the game...

Billy Martin would have had to have been one of the best post game interviews.  I was too much to remember much about him other than his famous feud with Steinbrenner and that he was Yankee manager 4 different times.  His autobiography #1 is a great read.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

5/23, Geoff Arnold to Jorge Mateo: “What does it say about the resilience of this team that you’re able to win this one after a tough series in St. Louis”?

The answer I would have liked to have heard:  “it really doesn’t say anything about it.  You know the White Sox suck, right?  And we almost blew it anyway!”

People would get on Mike Mussina for answering questions in some kind of sarcastic, snarky way. But I swear after hearing questions like that more than once or twice I'd just be making up some ludicrous stuff. One game I'd be talking about how we only won because Jupiter was entering Sagittarius, the next I'd go on some rambling monologue about bigfoot alien super-soliders, then the next day I'd just do the whole interview in broken German.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I dont personally know these players, but based on a lot of interviews, they seem awfully young and pretty limited in reflection. I think McCann and Kremer look like they might be good interviews. The best interview on the Orioles in the last decade was Adam Jones. He always had something to say, and if he had a chip on his shoulder, he was as interesting as anyone..I also think Brandon Hyde hates being interviewed. He's a baseball lifer. He's not a quote machine like Buck was..and hes not exactly telegenic. It doesnt matter of course..But I loved free spirited interview personalities...Based on what I see, we dont have many of those on this team. But boy, what I would give to have an Oriole talk show.past and present guests...at this point in my life, that would be a perfect full circle job...because my career BEGAN when I was an Oriole batboy and I often brought my little tape recorder to interview the guys...Brooks, Frank, Boog, Palmer, Davey J, Grich...those guys had things to say, and interesting ways to say it.

Would love to see you interview Cowser sir. I think that would be a dynamite interview to say the least.

• 3 weeks later...