Kaleb Ort claimed by Astros.

bpilktree

5 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Apparently he was put on waivers over the weekend but none of our local reporters mentioned I saw.   It was probably a forgone conclusion as he has been awful in Norfolk.  That puts us back to 39 apparently.  

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/05/astros-claim-kaleb-ort-from-orioles.html

In fairness to the local reporters, he was only put on outright assignment waivers and not designated for assignment since we didn’t need an immediate roster spot.  I don’t believe outright assignment waivers are made public until resolved with the player either being claimed or outrighted.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

In fairness to the local reporters, he was only put on outright assignment waivers and not designated for assignment since we didn’t need an immediate roster spot.  I don’t believe outright assignment waivers are made public until resolved with the player either being claimed or outrighted.

Do you work in the baseball industry?   You seem to know a few things no one else does?

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Hm, I wonder why we are clearing a spot on the 40-man. New addition coming soon? 

Maybe they just found no use for him taking a roster spot at Norfolk anymore with the promotions of Strowd and McGough

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

Apparently he was put on waivers over the weekend but none of our local reporters mentioned I saw.   It was probably a forgone conclusion as he has been awful in Norfolk.  That puts us back to 39 apparently.  

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/05/astros-claim-kaleb-ort-from-orioles.html

Good riddance. Another guy with a good arm who doesn't have any command.

Very odd transaction just because they didn’t need the 40-man spot and Ort has an option. I’m guessing it’s because they just promoted Strowd and McHough so someone needed to go (and Ort has been terrible).

However, it could also be that they were hoping to get Ort through waivers given his numbers have been terrible, and they know they are eventually going to need the 40-man space for the trade deadline / Mayo / Povich / others. 

Just now, CaptainRedbeard said:

and they know they are eventually going to need the 40-man space for the trade deadline / Mayo / Povich / others. 

I wouldn't mind seeing a Povich/Suarez piggyback game on Friday

5 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Very odd transaction just because they didn’t need the 40-man spot and Ort has an option. I’m guessing it’s because they just promoted Strowd and McHough so someone needed to go (and Ort has been terrible).

However, it could also be that they were hoping to get Ort through waivers given his numbers have been terrible, and they know they are eventually going to need the 40-man space for the trade deadline / Mayo / Povich / others. 

If they need a spot you can just put Wells on 60 day dl.  He is at like 45 days already and not close to ready.  They must have seen enough of him and just needed room in Norfolk to bring other guys up.