The 2024 Trade Deadline

3 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

What about a Gausman reunion? I think he has 2-3 years left on his deal but I think Blue Jays are going to be selling Bichette too. 

The 33-year old has two and a half years left on his contract with $60M remaining.  I have a tough time envisioning Elias dealing some of our top prospects to Toronto while adding Gausman's contract.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Gausman in concept would be a James McCann buy side kind of situation but I don't think Toronto will sell  yet.     Next year..

Astros - their surge hasn't really sustained, and now this today:

Gausman would not be a straight salary dump with the other team even taking of most of the salary.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gausman would not be a straight salary dump with the other team even taking of most of the salary.

I think it is academic as I believe Atkins will pursue AL6 but I think Gausman owed 2/46 for 2025-2026 is underwater.

I'd guess if the Blue Jays go 8-24 from here and Atkins sells Vlad and others it could extend to Gausman.    Then Atkins is basically in the Dan Duquette end of 2018 position.

YTD Gausman is 4-1, 2.68 against under .500, and 1-4, 5.71 over.    He looked pretty vulnerable against us.    

If it goes bad, buyers like Elias could also have Kikuchi, Bassitt and Berrios to sift.

It is bitterly humorous to constantly read guys saying, “we shouldn’t Trade…” and then mention the only guys who have any trade value. 

If we are going to acquire anybody meaningful, and at this point, I think we very much need meaningful acquisitions, we’re going to have to pay for them and we’re going to have be willing to trade from among our top five guys.

As @spiritof66  pointed out very well, when you grow bats and buy arms, the resulting disparity in the farm means that sometimes you got to spend in order to accomplish a goal.

The question is now how soon is necessary, what can we get and what do we have to pay?

Fuji and Flaherty were not the cavalry over the hill, and that’s what we need.

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Whatever the results of Bradish's tests are, the importance of acquiring a starter has ticked up.  Most pitchers are risks, but we need to get one, and hopefully for multiple years of control.  Again, even if Bradish just needs to rest a couple of weeks, the issue could come back at any time.  

Among the starters that may be available are:
LHP: Luzardo, Crochet, JP Sears, Tyler Anderson, and Patrick Sandoval
RHP: Severino, Fedde, and Flaherty

No to Flaherty please . I’ve seen enough of him last season , smh 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Philip said:

It is bitterly humorous to constantly read guys saying, “we shouldn’t Trade…” and then mention the only guys who have any trade value. 

If we are going to acquire anybody meaningful, and at this point, I think we very much need meaningful acquisitions, we’re going to have to pay for them and we’re going to have be willing to trade from among our top five guys.

As @spiritof66  pointed out very well, when you grow bats and buy arms, the resulting disparity in the farm means that sometimes you got to spend in order to accomplish a goal.

The question is now how soon is necessary, what can we get and what do we have to pay?

I don't agree.  The O's have 5 starters and a sixth that might be back in a week.   They have an off  day on Monday that means they are still on a 6 day rotation.

I would not panic.  And paying the prices that most teams would want for a starter is just that to me.  Panic. 

The O's have McDermott if they need him.

Edited by wildcard

I'm kind of heading towards rooting for Kjerstad or Beavers to be trade centerpiece of whatever comes.

EBJ's 2024 has been pretty tepid so he is not at a good sell point.     Norby seems to fit well as a backup to future outfields mostly made up of Cowser-Mullins-Kjerstad-Beavers-EBJ.

The other 29 clubs, including whatever dozen odd end up selling next month - there are probably enough variances in their takes on Kjerstad and Beavers there is something Elias can arbitrage.

I take it as a given someone like Seth Johnson or Trace Bright at least will be a secondary piece, guessing Povich-McDermott-De Leon-Forret maybe represent a tier Elias prefers to keep.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Is it really bitterly humorous to assume projected 2024 needs are greater than an ongoing concern need?  Isn't that the crux of the valuation?  You may disagree with it but that's seems to be the gist.

2024 Flaherty has been pretty good.  Fuji was a stuff chase like other BP pieces.  The process has been solid, the results are akin to Babip.

Would be nice to trade for one of Toronto's starters.  Kikuchi 3.26 ERA and Bassitt 3.56 ERA would be options.  Kikuchi has the balance of this year's $10 milliion salary and Bassitt has balance of this year's $21 million salary and next year $21 salary.  I would think Kikuchi would cost more in trade.  Toronto would probably wait till closer to trade deadline to determine whether they will be a seller, but I don't see a path forward where they can add on to this year's team and build a winner.  It seems like they are a more expensive version of the 2012-2017 O's. 

The likelihood of this is about .1%, but I do wonder if my Cubs, who have completely fallen on their faces, would make Shota available in an effort to infuse the farm with impact talent. They have a very deep farm, but only a couple guys with superstar ceilings. If they did, I assume Baltimore would be the first place they'd look, especially given his extremely team friendly contract.

22 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

The likelihood of this is about .1%, but I do wonder if my Cubs, who have completely fallen on their faces, would make Shota available in an effort to infuse the farm with impact talent. They have a very deep farm, but only a couple guys with superstar ceilings. If they did, I assume Baltimore would be the first place they'd look, especially given his extremely team friendly contract.

Holiday and a Heston for him?  If I am the O's I do it. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't agree.  The O's have 5 starters and a sixth that might be back in a week.   They have an off  day on Monday that means they are still on a 6 day rotation.

I would not panic.  And paying the prices that most teams would want for a starter is just that to me.  Panic. 

The O's have McDermott if they need him.

Ok, no problem, but what I said doesn’t imply Panic Mode. But all of the guys we have, whether 3 or 5, are tenuous in some way, and it is imprudent to assume they will last the season or maintain current performance. McDermott has potential, but like Povich, who has only two starts, is a great unknown.

So getting a solid starter now isn’t panic, it’s just doing what is needed now.

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Is it really bitterly humorous to assume projected 2024 needs are greater than an ongoing concern need?  Isn't that the crux of the valuation?  You may disagree with it but that's seems to be the gist.

2024 Flaherty has been pretty good.  Fuji was a stuff chase like other BP pieces.  The process has been solid, the results are akin to Babip.

No, I you missed my point completely. I’m saying that a large amount of trade discussion includes an unwillingness to trade the guys we have who have value.

If we want to get someone worth having, we’re going to have to give someone worth having. The humor is that too many people in this comment thread ignore that.