The 2024 Trade Deadline

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Not specifically related to them. Just saying that RF is not much of a hindrance for lefties here vs. say righties and Waltimore. 

Oh okay. I understand.

I'm not sure handedness matters as much for most of the top level (ace type pitchers). That's why they are who they are. For example, our own Corbin Burnes, while he is murder on lefties. Righties don't fair too well against him either. In Webb's case, both righties and lefties OPS sub .700 against him. And I believe that righties are down near .620.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Oh okay. I understand.

I'm not sure handedness matters as much for most of the top level (ace type pitchers). That's why they are who they are. For example, our own Corbin Burnes, while he is murder on lefties. Righties don't fair too well against him either. In Webb's case, both righties and lefties OPS sub .700 against him. And I believe that righties are down near .620.

Oh, for sure. I didn't even bother looking at their splits. I rather like Keller, certainly in love w/ Webb. Like you said, the good ones typically don't need to worry about splits here. 

Think the good thing for us now is we have a pitcher's ballpark. That's good for the O's. 

12 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

What is funny about PNC Park is that it's very similar to OPACY. Main difference is wall height in LF. 

Hi Puck-that's not a coincidence-

Just after the stadium opened I ran in to one of the architects at a work function and complimented  his work-he stated that they used Camden Yards for their initial planning.  Oddly they were also working on a project at the Vatican at the same.  Good company.

• Like 1

I couldn't help but laugh at this Q&A from MLBTradeRumors:

Sad White Sox fan
1:58
What about Fedde and Crochet together to the O's for Basallo, Mayo, Beavers and Povich. Who says no?

Steve Adams
1:59
Can't see the O's giving up that much, even for both of them.
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gunnar said:

I couldn't help but laugh at this Q&A from MLBTradeRumors:

Sad White Sox fan
1:58
What about Fedde and Crochet together to the O's for Basallo, Mayo, Beavers and Povich. Who says no?

Steve Adams
1:59
Can't see the O's giving up that much, even for both of them.

With those kinda of expectations I have a feeling Sad White Sox fan won’t feel motivated to change their name by the outcome of the trade deadline. 

• Upvote 1

Say the Orioles do want Crochet, and plan to move him to the pen until the playoffs or do short starts for load management, so they want Fedde too. And toss in Kopech too for good measure.

Crochet, Fedde, Kopech for Kjerstad, Norby + who?

I have a feeling the Orioles won’t ever be able to get the White Sox demanding one of Holliday, Mayo or Basallo for that, but I think the Orioles can put together a package without them that still makes sense. But I think it is going to take some additional good prospects on top of Kjerstad and Norby, from the Povich/McDermott/DeLeon/Beavers/Bradfield etc. grouping. 

Borrowing from a prior post in the thread, one trade target that makes, perhaps, the most sense to me, is:  

LHP Tarik Skubal (Age 27) of the Tigers, with 2.5 years of control:  Skubal is among the league's best starters but has never thrown more than 149.1 innings in his young career.  That was in 2021.  Since then, he threw 117.2 in 2022 before the flexor tendon injury derailed the remainder of the season.  He rebounded well after returning last season, throwing 80.1 IP.   Thus far this season he has been very good, as usual, with 90 IP and a 2.50 ERA.  He looks great this season and will likely exceed his prior high of 149.1 IP if he remains healthy.  My thoughts: I really like Skubal.  Having him two seasons beyond this one is crucial, as it adds a stabilizing starter to the top of the rotation and helps offset the potential loss of Burnes.  Also, as a lefty, he would be an ideal fit in between Burnes and Rodriguez this playoff push.  Like many pitchers, his health is cause for concern, but he looks to be past his prior issues.  He is my current favorite as a potentially available starter.

Detroit has some high upside young starters, but few impact hitters.  They have little hope to make the playoffs this season and really need an infusion offensively.  Trading Skubal would be the best way to start that process.
Who we would have to trade for him is the key (or anyone else for that matter).  I have very strong doubts that Holliday, Basallo, or Mayo would be made available (unless -- maybe -- you're talking about someone like Gilbert from Seattle) but if Detroit would make the deal without them the O's might become very interested.  I'd think it could be done. 

59 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

No doubt Yankees fans are discussing how they can trade Clint Frazier with another prospect to land Vlad Jr. even though Frazier hasn't been in the Yankees organization since 2021.

And somehow Cashman will pull it off. Not Frazier exactly, but a grouping of non prospects for a trade 

• Upvote 1

It’s interesting to see how many of our fans are laughing at the “unrealistic expectations” of other fanbases. But then go on to pose similar trades where we get back top notch pitchers and don’t have to surrender comparable talent.

I guess there are some similarities/commonalities amongst all fanbases?

Just now, Bemorewins said:

It’s interesting to see how many of our fans are laughing at the “unrealistic expectations” of other fanbases. But then go on to pose similar trades where we get back top notch pitchers and don’t have to surrender comparable talent.

I guess there are some similarities/commonalities amongst all fanbases?