The 2024 Trade Deadline

8 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I would prefer they ask for Jon Gray in spite of the Orioles destroying him in his last start - he wouldn't have to face the Orioles lineup again.

No offense, but given that choice I’m taking Max all day. Gray has NO track record to speak of in PS play. 

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

IMG_5631.jpeg

Because of it being an expiring contract he shouldn’t cost too much in prospects either. Texas won a title with him and should be more amenable to even a long shot prospect maybe with ML player thrown in.

5 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

No offense, but given that choice I’m taking Max all day. Gray has NO track record to speak of in PS play. 

Because of it being an expiring contract he shouldn’t cost too much in prospects either. Texas won a title with him and should be more amenable to even a long shot prospect maybe with ML player thrown in.

There will probably be many teams bidding for Scherzer if he is healthy.

My 2 cents on Scherzer - Great accomplishments, historically a big game pitcher. But he is showing the signs of age and being diminished from even what he was 2 seasons ago. Fastball at 93/94 is hard to dominate with. While he had an effective start against the game's best offense (excluding having to face Rutchsman and Westburg). One thing that I noticed is that the many of the Orioles hitters (minus Santander and Mateo) spit of the curve ball and change up regularly. Gunnar and O'Hearn in effect eliminated the pitch even after getting down in the count. With fastball velo that low/mediocre, I could see him struggle against top caliber competition (in October) if he does not have a put away pitch (the way his change up and curve ball have been/used to be). I recognize that he throws 5 pitches with regularity but he needs that change up to succeed especially against lefties who he can no longer throw the ball by. Seems like his plan of attack against the LHH was up and in with the fastball and the low and away with the change up or curve ball.

Also, I am concerned about the injury risk with him. He seems to be as risky or more (along with Verlander) than any of the younger pitchers that we have discussed as being trade targets.

Lastly, (neither Scherzer nor Verlander) solve our SP problems for next year, even if they are able to give us the help that we need for the rest of this season. I get that the cost would be low and they would mostly be salary dump type situations. But I would hope/prefer that we can acquire a pitcher who is able to sit atop the rotation at least for next season to give us some insurance if Burnes leaves and with the absence of Bradish in 25'.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10125833-10-fresh-mlb-trade-ideas-1-month-from-2024-trade-deadline

Horrible trade proposal by Bleacher Report: 

Garrett Crochet to the Baltimore Orioles

To BAL: LHP Garrett Crochet

To CWS: 1B/OF Heston Kjerstad, LHP Cade Povich, 2B Connor Norby, OF Dylan Beavers

Who would have guessed Garrett Crochet would be the most sought-after prize of the 2024 trade deadline?

The 25-year-old made his first career start on Opening Day this year, and he entered the year with a 2.71 ERA in 72 career relief appearances, missing the entire 2022 season recovering from Tommy John surgery.

He tossed six innings of five-hit, one-run ball on Opening Day, and after some rocky outings in April, he has been absolutely rolling for the past two months with a 1.36 ERA and 83 strikeouts in 59.2 innings over his last 10 starts.

All told, he has a 3.05 ERA, 0.94 WHIP and an AL-leading 130 strikeouts in 94.1 innings, and with club control through 2026 teams will be lining up for a chance to add him to their starting rotation this summer.

The deal that sent Dylan Cease to the San Diego Padres brought back a consensus Top 100 prospect in Drew Thorpe and two other promising prospect pieces in Samuel Zavala and Jairo Iriarte, and while he has a longer track record of success he also had one less year of remaining control.

Slugger Heston Kjerstad, left-hander Cade Povich and infielder Connor Norby are all MLB-ready pieces that could immediately plug into the White Sox lineup, while Dylan Beavers is also knocking on the door with strong numbers at Double-A.

It's a steep price to pay for the Orioles, but it gives them a potential replacement for Corbin Burnes atop the rotation if he departs in free agency while also bolstering the staff for this year's playoff push.

14 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10125833-10-fresh-mlb-trade-ideas-1-month-from-2024-trade-deadline

To CWS: 1B/OF Heston Kjerstad, LHP Cade Povich, 2B Connor Norby, OF Dylan Beavers

Who would have guessed Garrett Crochet would be the most sought-after prize of the 2024 trade deadline?

The 25-year-old made his first career start on Opening Day this year, and he entered the year with a 2.71 ERA in 72 career relief appearances, missing the entire 2022 season recovering from Tommy John surgery.

He tossed six innings of five-hit, one-run ball on Opening Day, and after some rocky outings in April, he has been absolutely rolling for the past two months with a 1.36 ERA and 83 strikeouts in 59.2 innings over his last 10 starts.

All told, he has a 3.05 ERA, 0.94 WHIP and an AL-leading 130 strikeouts in 94.1 innings, and with club control through 2026 teams will be lining up for a chance to add him to their starting rotation this summer.

The deal that sent Dylan Cease to the San Diego Padres brought back a consensus Top 100 prospect in Drew Thorpe and two other promising prospect pieces in Samuel Zavala and Jairo Iriarte, and while he has a longer track record of success he also had one less year of remaining control.

Slugger Heston Kjerstad, left-hander Cade Povich and infielder Connor Norby are all MLB-ready pieces that could immediately plug into the White Sox lineup, while Dylan Beavers is also knocking on the door with strong numbers at Double-A.

It's a steep price to pay for the Orioles, but it gives them a potential replacement for Corbin Burnes atop the rotation if he departs in free agency while also bolstering the staff for this year's playoff push.

It’s actually a pretty fair proposal based on Crochet’s 2+ years of control and his top 5 SP numbers this year.

id prefer to swap out Povich for McDermott but I’d be tempted to make this trade though I’d imagine CWS are still trying to get Mayo or Basallo. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

It’s actually a pretty fair proposal based on Crochet’s 2+ years of control and his top 5 SP numbers this year.

id prefer to swap out Povich for McDermott but I’d be tempted to make this trade though I’d imagine CWS are still trying to get Mayo or Basallo. 

The problem is that crochet is already 40 innings beyond his career high and is coming off arm injuries. It’s a lot of injury and regression risk, particularly this season. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

They have all of the post season to consider free agents who won’t cost anything other than dollars and considering the payroll under which the Orioles currently operate that shouldn’t be a problem.

The issue is adding to the current roster effectively as to make a deep PS run. Can they do that without selling the farm? Sure, but the idea we trade off Kjerstad because he has the most value (perceived or otherwise) is short sighted when you look at next year and beyond.

I've said it before, I really like Santander but he’s gone and it’s looking less likely HE is part of a package. They’ll need someone to take over in RF, be it HK or Stowers. 

So, if the right move is available to the Orioles without sacrificing the future, then they do it. Then, and only then would I consider the package discussed here. Not a bad package, but one I don’t think ME makes based on his previous comments (we’re looking at competing for multiple WS titles). 

And of course, I could be way off base. 

3 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

The problem is that crochet is already 40 innings beyond his career high and is coming off arm injuries. It’s a lot of injury and regression risk, particularly this season. 

This is the part of my post I left out, but definitely is worth considering. 

8 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

I'm really concerned about Crochet being able to maintain his level of production down the stretch given he's never pitched this many innings before.

And I am dead set against trading Mayo or Basallo for anyone who's not an absolutely proven ace commodity over multiple years, like Burnes was.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I still have not seen a single explanation of why we’d give up those kinds of assets for a guy who might not even be pitching by August given the IP situation. 

We can figure out next years rotation in the off season if we have to. We don’t need to give up major assets right now for a guy who might not help THIS year. 

So I’ll ask again, WHY would Crochet even be a target, let alone someone we’d give up these kinds of assets for?  And that’s before you even factor in that the Sox haven’t exactly been reasonable with their asking price, reportedly, on other players. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I'm really concerned about Crochet being able to maintain his level of production down the stretch given he's never pitched this many innings before.

And I am dead set against trading Mayo or Basallo for anyone who's not an absolutely proven ace commodity over multiple years, like Burnes was.

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

I still have not seen a single explanation of why we’d give up those kinds of assets for a guy who might not even be pitching by August given the IP situation. 

We can figure out next years rotation in the off season if we have to. We don’t need to give up major assets right now for a guy who might not help THIS year. 

So I’ll ask again, WHY would Crochet even be a target, let alone someone we’d give up these kinds of assets for?  And that’s before you even factor in that the Sox haven’t exactly been reasonable with their asking price, reportedly, on other players. 

I’m outta rep, but these posts explain why you wouldn’t do it. I like Crochet, maybe they trade for him in the off season when Getz has less leverage. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

If we are going to get Crochet without giving up any of our top three, it probably looks something like that. If they don't get an overpay type of deal they may just wait til next year as Crochet's stock appears to be rising. Of all those players I'd like to avoid including Povich.

24 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

The innings limit is not something based on any science. Yes you would assume throwing more innings than ever would do damage to a recently reconstructed arm but the data doesn’t really back that up. 

that said I think most teams are still very conservative when it comes to pitchers returning from injury so it’s certainly relevant. 

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I believe I heard O’Dowd say on MLB TV that some teams think McDermott could be a mid rotation SP.

If that’s the case, then McDermott should be able to buy us any rental out there. Kikuchi, Severino, Scherzer as SP. 

If McDermott is really a mid rotation SP, I'd rather keep him in the system, which is so thin (IMO) on pitching already.